Beer Thread

Cisse

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Boycie said:

I recommend the Slag Pils.

It's almost as though you missed out a full stop and forgot to complete the second sentence.

On 11/04/2019 at 21:58, Mafiabob said:

Drinking 16 year old Lagavullin..... in The Duke of York, Belfast 

image.jpg

Was in Islay a few months back. Absolutely love the stuff. But Ardbeg’s the better visit. Is there an Eddie’s guide to Belgium ? And if not, could David please pin one. 

No piccies, because I didn't take my phone with me (it was a 'no jacket day').

The Memsahib and I have just visited the Lockkeeper's Rest at Sawley Lock (it's accessed from the towpath just on the Leicestershire side of the River Trent at Sawley). It's the first time we have ever been to this little gem of a pub, and it definitely won't be the last. Sue had a couple of pale ales which were very tasty (I stole a sip) and which, for once, were not hop bombs. I had a vanilla stout which was absolutely delicious, and followed that up with something that just screamed out "It's summer" - Lilley's Mango Cider. This is a quite ludicrous beer and ridiculously fruity, but it just seemed 'right' for the day.

The stout, I will definitely have again. The mango cider - well, perhaps a half next time.

On 11/04/2019 at 21:58, Mafiabob said:

Drinking 16 year old Lagavullin..... in The Duke of York, Belfast 

image.jpg

I absolutely love Lagavulin, did a tour of Islay distilleries a while back and it’s one of my top whiskies. If you ever fancy a change, for about the same price you can get a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Smokey and sweet, just a beautiful taste.

19 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I absolutely love Lagavulin, did a tour of Islay distilleries a while back and it’s one of my top whiskies. If you ever fancy a change, for about the same price you can get a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Smokey and sweet, just a beautiful taste.

I’ve had a Ardbeg before and it’s nice tipple, after that one had a Dalwhinnie then a MacAllan 

3 hours ago, Gritters said:

3 of these from Tesco express because I drank the stuff I got for today yesterday.

image.jpg

I remember back in 1972 the first time I tried a beer from the St Austell brewery. Blooming lovely, and a darned sight better than Devenish (the other local brewery).

Proper Job is ok, but I prefer Tribute, Hicks and Mena Dhu.

Edit: I've just had a look on the brewery website. They now produce a Saison, a Dubbel and a Tripel - I finally have three reasons to go back to Cornwall.

Edited by eddie

Re my above post, I decided to check the brewery shop, but the prices for the dubbel and tripel are outrageous - approximately 100% higher than I could get Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel delivered from Belgium. However, the Saison (called 'Sayzon', incidentally) is available nationally at Tesco. The price for that is a very reasonable 4 for £6.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Re my above post, I decided to check the brewery shop, but the prices for the dubbel and tripel are outrageous - approximately 100% higher than I could get Westmalle Dubbel and Tripel delivered from Belgium. However, the Saison (called 'Sayzon', incidentally) is available nationally at Tesco. The price for that is a very reasonable 4 for £6.

I’ll have a look next time I’m in Tescos. There was another I used to get I think it was call ‘Big Job’ or Big Bob which was an IPA around 7.2%. Three of them and the sausages were burnt on the bbq. ?