Beer Thread

Cisse

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

On my last trip to Belgium, I tried Chimay 150 (Verte) for the first time. 10% and sublime.IMG_20240322_130752183_HDR-01.thumb.jpeg.2ccadc16c3898945e92b6bd5bbcaddf4.jpeg

It's a lovely beer. I always pick a few up whenever I'm in the House Of Beer in Ashbourne.

Did my annual pilgrimage to Dalyan in Turkey and there is now a micro brewery nearby called Gara Guzu.

So instead of bland Efes I've been drinking porters, IPAs, Amber's and Winter Ale.

Not Belgian quality but a massive improvement on the usual fare 

3 hours ago, sage said:

Did my annual pilgrimage to Dalyan in Turkey and there is now a micro brewery nearby called Gara Guzu.

So instead of bland Efes I've been drinking porters, IPAs, Amber's and Winter Ale.

Not Belgian quality but a massive improvement on the usual fare 

You might know this but Efes have been producing their own range of craft beers under the brand Bomonti for a few years now. They're all pretty drinkable.

46 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You might know this but Efes have been producing their own range of craft beers under the brand Bomonti for a few years now. They're all pretty drinkable.

Yes. I drink Bomonti Filteriz if just faced with the standard beers.

On 04/04/2024 at 15:51, Eddie said:

From next Thursday, 11 April, Lidl have the Belgian beers in again.

I am 81 and for 65 of those years I have been a bitter drinker, in the 60s,70s and 80s I was a heavy drinker but as i got older my drinking habits changed, I now drink red wine and whisky with the occasional pint of Abbot. I like to read your posts about Belgian beer but have never tried any, I have been to Belgium a number of times but have drunk the bog standard draught beer as i have else ware in Europe. So I see the Beer Lidl have for sale are Blondes, triple hop, dark double and cuvee des trolls ale. None of that means anything to me. I have decided to try one, which should i try first? and are these beers drunk chilled or room temperature? not a fan of cold lager type beer. Cheers  

I have never understood the appeal of bitter or larger. The former to me just tastes like dishwater. But I’m just going on distant memory. When I first started drinking I used to drink mild. The first time I ordered a pint of mild down south they didn’t know what I was talking about. I don’t know if it was just that pub or whether mild was just a Northern drink. Anyway, I had a pint of stout instead and I have never looked back. I like all the main Irish stouts. To me stout is a far more satisfying and filling drink than bitter. It’s not often you get a bad pint, but friends who are always trying new bitters never seem satisfied.

Where I live pub prices are forcing people to drink at home and that is something I don't like to do. A pint at home never seems to be the same as in a pub. The taste is different and, perhaps this is just me, it seems wrong. For me someone who drinks at home is a bit sad.

On 12/04/2024 at 22:19, Normanton Lad said:

I have never understood the appeal of bitter or larger. The former to me just tastes like dishwater. But I’m just going on distant memory. When I first started drinking I used to drink mild. The first time I ordered a pint of mild down south they didn’t know what I was talking about. I don’t know if it was just that pub or whether mild was just a Northern drink. Anyway, I had a pint of stout instead and I have never looked back. I like all the main Irish stouts. To me stout is a far more satisfying and filling drink than bitter. It’s not often you get a bad pint, but friends who are always trying new bitters never seem satisfied.

Where I live pub prices are forcing people to drink at home and that is something I don't like to do. A pint at home never seems to be the same as in a pub. The taste is different and, perhaps this is just me, it seems wrong. For me someone who drinks at home is a bit sad.

I rarely drink at home unless I have company. I have a lot of bottles that don’t get opened for months. I am a social drinker much prefer beer in a pub with mates . 

What I said about drinking at home was a bit harsh. I'm sure lots of people enjoy tasting wine and beers at home. There is nothing wrong with that in moderation. But we had, and still have, some alcoholics in my family and drinking at home was a bad thing for all concerned. However, they should not spoil the fun for the rest of us who can enjoy a drink without causing any trouble.