Beer Thread

Cisse

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

<pedant mode>

There's no such thing as a 'billabong tree'. A billabong is a blind channel or dried-up stream bed. The tree referred to in the song 'Waltzing Matilda' is a 'coolibah tree' - a hard wood gum tree from the eucalyptus family, native to the inland eastern parts of Australia.

</pedant mode>

I think you'll find the verb to billabong means to shaft a marsupial. 

I-Ram knows what he's talking about ?

This is a Belgian 'stout' - actually it's probably not that heavy - more a porter really, but it's just lovely. I wish I'd ordered more than one.

Review notes:

This beer pours a rather cloudy muddy red-brown with a tan head which dissipates to a thin veil, but please don't let that put you off. The smell is quite smoky and slightly pungent (it reminded me of a faint whiff of cigar smoke), but the taste is just an explosion of flavours - rich malts, fruits, licorice, vanilla with sort of peppery notes mixed in as well. There's not a lot of carbonation - just sufficient to sustain the previously mentioned veil of a head and to leave a prickly sensation on the roof of the mouth. A fantastic beer.

508160844_troubadourobscura.jpg.3df6a91bfca83d14d2ad5f4b19792d3a.jpg

On 03/07/2021 at 16:37, Rev said:

Bit more practice needed!

PXL_20210703_153638734.thumb.jpg.4455f1b6297775b8cb12041503d869b9.jpg

What have you bought buddy. How does it work? I have a bar in my (former) garage, and that looks interesting (other than I am not a Stella fan).

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

What have you bought buddy. How does it work? I have a bar in my (former) garage, and that looks interesting (other than I am not a Stella fan).

It's called Perfect Draft, machine was £250, 10 pint kegs range from £25 to £40, depending on the strength of the beer.

You also get a £5 credit if you return the kegs, which is postage free.

Each keg comes with it's own beer line so little need for cleaning between kegs, a quick rinse of the dispenser, snap onto the keg, place in the machine and you're good to go, once the keg has chilled to the correct temperature.

You can speed chilling up by storing kegs in the fridge, first keg I put in the fridge in the morning, put in the machine and it took around 5 hrs to chill down.

2nd keg was in the fridge for over 24hrs, and was ready after less than an hour in the machine.

This was the first keg, just to give an idea of size.

Just to add, bought it from BeerHawk, wide selection of different beers are available.

16254175154361692718703474284442.thumb.jpg.841a11cbf9f0351b2b1b35dc75d0742e.jpg

Edited by Rev

2 hours ago, Rev said:

It's called Perfect Draft, machine was £250, 10 pint kegs range from £25 to £40, depending on the strength of the beer.

You also get a £5 credit if you return the kegs, which is postage free.

Each keg comes with it's own beer line so little need for cleaning between kegs, a quick rinse of the dispenser, snap onto the keg, place in the machine and you're good to go, once the keg has chilled to the correct temperature.

You can speed chilling up by storing kegs in the fridge, first keg I put in the fridge in the morning, put in the machine and it took around 5 hrs to chill down.

2nd keg was in the fridge for over 24hrs, and was ready after less than an hour in the machine.

This was the first keg, just to give an idea of size.

Just to add, bought it from BeerHawk, wide selection of different beers are available.

Son-in-law bought the same thing. I occasionally help him drink them ?

I've thought about it, but until there is a wider availability of beers (which won't happen - the chances of Ter Dolen, Struise Pannepot, Jus De Mer or even Hacker Pschoor Oktoberfest being available are negligible), I'm going to pass.

On 04/07/2021 at 17:52, Rev said:

Not generally a lager drinker, but once had several draught Jupilers in a bar in Amsterdam and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to go back when all this crap has subsided.

Edited by Grumpy Git

29 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Not generally a lager drinker, but once had several draught Jupilers in a bar in Amsterdam and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to go back when all this crap has subsided.

It was the first time I'd tried it, was very nice indeed.

Onto a tripel karmaliet now, needs a bit more respect than the lager, so keeping to a 330ml glass a day.