New York trip advice

ColonelBlimp

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Don't bother with trying to buy snide stuff near Canal Street.. Nearly got in a major ruck with some big black dudes who weren't happy when the missus weren't buying.

Aint worth the hassle... 

I love NYC.. Great city.

They were not happy that she wasn't buying, and you're telling us not to buy? 

Are you really just saying don't go to Canal Street? :)

7 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

What about clothes shopping? Not label outlets like Bluewater/Gunwharf but proper shops.

And markets?

Good guide:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/new-york-city/663769

The strip between Second and Third Avenue has open air markets, also near by is St Marks's Place.  Chinatown worth a look for soveniers, and the street food is good (go to the busy ones).

Clothes shopping Century 21 is a version of TK's, and if you don't want to travel to an outlet, shopping in Brooklyn is cheaper, try Williamsburg neigbourhood was up and coming a few years ago, however may be a bit Beady and skinny jeans now.

Macy's and 6th Avenue if you seriously want to shop like a nutter.  Macy's is reknowned to have a sale on at some department everyday of the year.

On 08/09/2016 at 21:46, ColonelBlimp said:

I'm off to New York in 3 weeks, just me and the missus. It's a one off 5 day trip that we've promised ourselves for years.

Had our 25th wedding anniversary last year and we never had a honeymoon anyway so why not, got to go while you still can eh?

Anyway, those of you who have been, other than the usual touristy stuff, are there any places/things you would recommend?

We won't do a show on Broadway, not my kind of thing but things like the High Line, Brooklyn, Roosevelt Island, Empire State, Rockefeller Plaza, Staten Island Ferry, Chinatown, 911 memorial, Grand Central are on the list

What else though? Any suggestions? Staying in Manhattan.

5th Avenue shopping 

Central Park 

Times Square 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 13:12, ketteringram said:

They were not happy that she wasn't buying, and you're telling us not to buy? 

Are you really just saying don't go to Canal Street? :)

You have to go to Canal St - if only to have the comedy photo taken in the subway station with you obscuring the C of Canal

If you want to see Statue of Liberty catch the free ferry to Staten island - sail pass it for free both there and back and great chance to take photo of one world trade centre from the water .. Plus the Richmond County Bank Ballpark (baseball) is just opposite the statement ferry station.

Buy a 7 day ticket for the metro rather than individual trips... 

Save having breakfast in hotel for silly money just grab a bite in a local Deli..

Make sure you tuck into some sliders and don't forget to tip !

Love new york been a couple of years since  I've been. Best advice plan what you want to do. Get a metro ticket and use the subway. States island ferry it's free and sails right past the statue of liberty. For the best view of new York go up the top of the Rock.  Roosevelt island get the cable car across. Take your wife into macys  she will love it. One last place grand central terminal. I could go on and on. Have a great trip to the big Apple. 

Not read the whole thread so apologise if repeating. Get the tourist sightseeing bus rover type hop on hop off ticket then you can go uptown and downtown. You can see Harlem, Brooklyn etc and guide chats on a mike. You can see where Lennon was shot and where famous people live. Then if you see somewhere you like you can go back. Go to madison square gardens to watch basketball, its epic. Staten Island ferry ticket is free with the bus ticket and you see the statue, ground zero from afar etc. Take a classic American brekkie in a diner, rockerfeller centre is good, Central Park ice skating was on when I went. Go to Times Square at night, you'll be amazed, grand central station is lovely and the shopping is fabulous. . 5 days flies by! 

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Not read the whole thread so apologise if repeating. Get the tourist sightseeing bus rover type hop on hop off ticket then you can go uptown and downtown. You can see Harlem, Brooklyn etc and guide chats on a mike. You can see where Lennon was shot and where famous people live. Then if you see somewhere you like you can go back. Go to madison square gardens to watch basketball, its epic. Staten Island ferry ticket is free with the bus ticket and you see the statue, ground zero from afar etc. Take a classic American brekkie in a diner, rockerfeller centre is good, Central Park ice skating was on when I went. Go to Times Square at night, you'll be amazed, grand central station is lovely and the shopping is fabulous. . 5 days flies by! 

Everybody says about the free ferry, rather than paying for a trip to see the statue of liberty. I'm off there for the first time this December, and I'm taking that advice on board........ But everytime I see that on TV or film, it looks absolutely jammed. So unless you are by the window, you'd see nothing!

8 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Everybody says about the free ferry, rather than paying for a trip to see the statue of liberty. I'm off there for the first time this December, and I'm taking that advice on board........ But everytime I see that on TV or film, it looks absolutely jammed. So unless you are by the window, you'd see nothing!

We were there in November/December and it's freezing but if you brave the deck you see everything. We got a guide that was on the ferry that was first on the scene to the plane that came down in the Hudson, he was brilliant! You're going at the best time of year

We did a paid trip over to the statue of liberty, wasnt that expensive from memory maybe 25 dollars each something like that. You got to get up close to the statue so i thought it was worth it as had never been, that said im going back and wouldnt do it again but i am glad i did.

My two pennorth is walk The Highline... Seriously...DO THIS!! 

Walk Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhatten. You can do this on the way back from shopping  at Rough Trade records... 

Last but not least, go and visit our old mate Tom Glick at Yankee Stadium... But if you are going to The Bronx then stay on the beaten track. 

Have fun. Incredible city... 

1 minute ago, StockholmRam said:

My two pennorth is walk The Highline... Seriously...DO THIS!! 

Walk Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhatten. You can do this on the way back from shopping  at Rough Trade records... 

Last but not least, go and visit our old mate Tom Glick at Yankee Stadium... But if you are going to The Bronx then stay on the beaten track. 

Have fun. Incredible city... 

Completely agree, The Highline is sensational. Loads of history about trade coming into New York, but beyond that, amazing views. 

My two pennies worth, do the Rockefeller. It's not much to look at and the advantage is you get to see the Empire State Building.

If you fancy a Broadway show then consider queuing for this

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-Overview

You might queue for an hour but you'll get cheap tickets for a Broadway show. We saw Avenue Q and it was brilliant.

Drinking wise if you want go to the East Village, doesn't; matter where you walk in to you'll get a good beer and a atmosphere. 

Have an amazing time, it's the best city in the world.

Archived