Sam Allardyce Press Conference

Day

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I don't agree with that assessment. Who are the lesser nations who have closed the gap?

The Scandanavian sides, aside from Iceland, are all significantly weaker than their glory days in the 90's. The same can be said for Romania and Bulgaria.

The new sides who do present a challenge are only replacing previously strong nations than ceased to exist like Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia and the USSR.

Poland and Belgium are strong, but they always were, registering world cup semi final appearances in the 70s and 80s.

With the continued fragmentation of Europe into smaller and smaller nation states there has never been a better time to bag international goals against teams who have prohibitively small talent pools to select from.

Off the top of my head...Poland, Turkey, Greece, Wales, Northern Ireland, Belgium, Austria, Albania, Israel, Colombia, Peru, Hungary, all of the African nations.

All teams that 30 odd years ago you would be expecting at least a 3-0 victory against, these days would not be overly confident of beating any of them.

There are only really Gibraltar, San Marino and Liechtenstein that I would stick in that category now!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Except won a few Prem titles and a champions league? 

Internationally yes we may not be able to say he's done well in tournaments......

Yet have any other English player?

Name me a England side that could take Russia 2018 by storm?

England are a slow burner at the minute. The youth level is coming along quite nicely..... Doing very well in tournaments etc. Same as all the big hitters used to do. Give it another 5/6 years and you'll see a massive improvement st senior level.

We are at a transition..... It's a shame fans nowadays are WANT WANT WANT. 

As an aside, Mr Rooney has been relevant for over a decade and has scored plenty..... It's a shame this sad old country of ours decide to build people up to knock them down.

Critiscism is fine, cynicism and belittling ain't.

Again totally irrelevant points. Oshea has won endless medals and got endless caps.... doesnt have any significance to me as im referring to what rooney has done for his country not his club. This what has any other england player done.... doesnt wash with me either. Likes of lineker and shearer won golden boots.... owen scored big goals in tournaments. My argument is rooney has not performed in a tournament aince 2004.... and ill challenge anyone to prove this is inaccurate 

3 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Again totally irrelevant points. Oshea has won endless medals and got endless caps.... doesnt have any significance to me as im referring to what rooney has done for his country not his club. This what has any other england player done.... doesnt wash with me either. Likes of lineker and shearer won golden boots.... owen scored big goals in tournaments. My argument is rooney has not performed in a tournament aince 2004.... and ill challenge anyone to prove this is inaccurate 

How is what I have said is irrelevant? Rooney has been world class for best part of a decade. As G Star says, is goals have practically dragged us over the line in qualification.

I will ask again...... Name me a England side that will "perform" in 2018..... 

All my other points regarding England are totally valid, and also once again as G Star says..... Where have all these other players been during Rooneys time? 

Who is better than Wayne Rooney? More importantly for me..... Who'd you rather want as captain?

I wait for your answers to these, instead of just mocking our greatest ever goalscorer internationnally like yourself and others have done on this forum.

Critiscism is fine..... I accept that. It's the throw away and want want want attitude of fans particularly nowadays. It's quite sad really we knock people down for achieving some brilliant things. Agreed he's not had fantastic tournaments. Same can be said about Zlatan..... And everyone worships the ground he walks on.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Which England players have done it when it has mattered that make him so much more over rated than anyone else?

He has dragged us through virtually every qualifying campaign with his goals.

Shearer owen lineker.... defensively adams campbell ferdinand... could carry on tbf

20 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

How is what I have said is irrelevant? Rooney has been world class for best part of a decade. As G Star says, is goals have practically dragged us over the line in qualification.

I will ask again...... Name me a England side that will "perform" in 2018..... 

All my other points regarding England are totally valid, and also once again as G Star says..... Where have all these other players been during Rooneys time? 

Who is better than Wayne Rooney? More importantly for me..... Who'd you rather want as captain?

I wait for your answers to these, instead of just mocking our greatest ever goalscorer internationnally like yourself and others have done on this forum.

Critiscism is fine..... I accept that. It's the throw away and want want want attitude of fans particularly nowadays. It's quite sad really we knock people down for achieving some brilliant things. Agreed he's not had fantastic tournaments. Same can be said about Zlatan..... And everyone worships the ground he walks on.

Been world class for who? Im talking bout england couldnt care less about united. As he has carried us to qualifying... nothing big about that we should be walking qualification. At this moment in time the spot he plays is way too deep and he slows us down so much. Yes England are tripe at mo.... but he is a part of that.... i keep pointing out my main issue with him is he hasnt delivered in tournaments like others have.

4 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Been world class for who? Im talking bout england couldnt care less about united. As he has carried us to qualifying... nothing big about that we should be walking qualification. At this moment in time the spot he plays is way too deep and he slows us down so much. Yes England are tripe at mo.... but he is a part of that.... i keep pointing out my main issue with him is he hasnt delivered in tournaments like others have.

Funny how you have not answered any questions I posed.

He has been world class for England. Euro 2004 like you said. I'm not denying he's totally hit it off in the big tournaments, and this is what sums up a few football fans up in this country, the absolute arrogance that we should walk qualification. In fact you have contradicted yourself in this post by saying we are tripe at the moment yet expect us to blast through qualification. You can't have it both ways.

Once again I'm waiting for you to answer my questions. I'm trying my best to answer yours. 

Feel free to do so. 

18 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Shearer owen lineker.... defensively adams campbell ferdinand... could carry on tbf

Yes to be fair cannot argue with any of them. 

Now name the ones who have not done it when it mattered and tall me that Rooney is the most over rated of all of them.

Let's not forget to be over rated people have to rate you, and it appears hardly anyone rates out top scorer of all time...

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Funny how you have not answered any questions I posed.

He has been world class for England. Euro 2004 like you said. I'm not denying he's totally hit it off in the big tournaments, and this is what sums up a few football fans up in this country, the absolute arrogance that we should walk qualification. In fact you have contradicted yourself in this post by saying we are tripe at the moment yet expect us to blast through qualification. You can't have it both ways.

Once again I'm waiting for you to answer my questions. I'm trying my best to answer yours. 

Feel free to do so. 

Have to bear with me as at work. However yes by our standards we are tripe.... but, shouldnt any england team of any era be walking qualification? I feel so. As for being world class for england... how can a player who hasnt done anything at tourneys since 04 be deemed world class?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes to be fair cannot argue with any of them. 

Now name the ones who have not done it when it mattered and tall me that Rooney is the most over rated of all of them.

Let's not forget to be over rated people have to rate you, and it appears hardly anyone rates out top scorer of all time...

Agree and valid point. Guess he is the highest profile player out of the ones who havent performed therefore the anger with rooney is that soo much was expected and in comparison zero delivered at tournaments 

49 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Have to bear with me as at work. However yes by our standards we are tripe.... but, shouldnt any england team of any era be walking qualification? I feel so. As for being world class for england... how can a player who hasnt done anything at tourneys since 04 be deemed world class?

The same could be said for Ronaldo 3 months ago. Had a great tournament at 2004 and has done little else since in tournaments.

No doubt that Rooney has been a fantastic servant for Man Utd and England but he simply is not the same player anymore. He plays like a 35 year old now and doesn't seem to have much in the gas, probably because he burst onto the scene so early and the yards have caught up with him. Rooney shouldn't be in the team anymore for me and Sam Allarydce's comments that Rooney can play where he wants shows he isn't the big ballsed manager that everyone thinks he is. Rooney is trying to model his new midfield role game on Scholes when he is nothing like Scholes was, even I could spray balls around if there was no-one pressurising and harassing me in the midfield. Our best performance in a long time was against Germany away,coincidentally when Rooney wasn't playing as the team could counter attack at speed,whereas Rooney slows the game down. Rooney has been very poor for Man Utd for a number of years now, Man Utd fans talk about him the same way that Derby fans do about Baird and Blackman. Alex Ferguson could see that Rooney was declining rapidly,which is why he tried to sell Rooney to Chelsea before he retired.

Rooney's last truly world class season was in 2011/12 season. He was a monster in that season and carried Man Utd the whole season. Man Utd probably wouldn't have made it into the champions league that season without him but with him in the side were seconds away from winning the title but for the Aguero moment. He has been going through the motions since then and hasn't been anywhere near world class since. 

Rooney's an obvious trouble maker, who unfortunately has the FA in his back pocket. 

There's no way he's being given a free role because of his talent. 

Allardyce is supposed to be "fearless" and yet he's got about as much of a back as Hodgson, at least Capello had the balls to walk out, he knew the FA were never going to let him pick a "team". the FA are still forcing money making players into the fold.

12 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Rooney's an obvious trouble maker, who unfortunately has the FA in his back pocket. 

There's no way he's being given a free role because of his talent. 

Allardyce is supposed to be "fearless" and yet he's got about as much of a back as Hodgson, at least Capello had the balls to walk out, he knew the FA were never going to let him pick a "team". the FA are still forcing money making players into the fold.

You're a parody of yourself :lol:

37 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

Scored goals though atleast? Regardless though he has done it now

04 Euros, 2 goals- 1 vs Greece and 1 vs Holland, 06 WC 1 goal vs Iran, 08 Euros 1 goal vs Czech Rep, 10 WC 1 goal vs North Korea in a 7-0 win, 12 Euros 3 goals- 2 vs Holland and 1 vs Czech Rep, 14 WC 1 goal vs Ghana, 16 Euros 3 goals, 2 vs Hungary and 1 vs Wales.

Not exactly great at tournaments overall. More like his team has done it now. I'm sure he was only really active in the finals for 15 minutes. And if it was England and Rooney people would have been saying we won because he went off injured.

37 minutes ago, rynny said:

04 Euros, 2 goals- 1 vs Greece and 1 vs Holland, 06 WC 1 goal vs Iran, 08 Euros 1 goal vs Czech Rep, 10 WC 1 goal vs North Korea in a 7-0 win, 12 Euros 3 goals- 2 vs Holland and 1 vs Czech Rep, 14 WC 1 goal vs Ghana, 16 Euros 3 goals, 2 vs Hungary and 1 vs Wales.

Not exactly great at tournaments overall. More like his team has done it now. I'm sure he was only really active in the finals for 15 minutes. And if it was England and Rooney people would have been saying we won because he went off injured.

His goals v hungary were indispensable.... without them they would have been out

25 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

His goals v hungary were indispensable.... without them they would have been out

Which is a bit like saying, without Rooneys goals during qualifying we would not even have made these tournaments...

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Off the top of my head...Poland, Turkey, Greece, Wales, Northern Ireland, Belgium, Austria, Albania, Israel, Colombia, Peru, Hungary, all of the African nations.

All teams that 30 odd years ago you would be expecting at least a 3-0 victory against, these days would not be overly confident of beating any of them.

There are only really Gibraltar, San Marino and Liechtenstein that I would stick in that category now!

The rest of the world I agree with, especially Africa, not Europe though. I already pointed out that Poland and Belgium presented just as tough a challenge back then. Belgium reached the world cup semi final 30 years ago, we would not have done them 3-0. The last proper British Home Championship was held 32 years ago with England finishing 3rd after losing to Wales and only managing a 1-0 win over Northern Ireland.

Qualification for the latest Euros saw 13 teams finish the group with 1 win or less. Some of the old whipping boys have improved, but they've been replaced with even more.

Archived