Sam Allardyce Press Conference

Day

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, TimRam said:

After Rooneys performance v Iceland I would not have him near the England team. Come to think of it, none of them should be near the England team.

I feel a lot like that about some of Derbys players this season especially after Burton game but perhaps that's for another thread... 

Another thing for another thread...International breaks, are they really necessary ? Have we improved as a footballing nation since their introduction ?

Personally they annoy me, they interrupt momentum of clubs, if a club wins their last game you want to keep that going, if they lose, you want to put it right as quickly as possible.

I would do away with them myself but I suppose that's only because the national team means less to me as it once did. I understand people are still passionate for the national team and fair play to them but England have flattered to deceive too often for me. :(

Oh for the days of Gazza eating the pineapple cubes out of a urinal when dared .....

I think the big problem England has is that we have ended up with a team of young guys who at their clubs are essentially the coat holders for foreign big hitters. You get them all together and when the pressure comes on, they are lost as they are looking around for people like Aguero and Mertesacker. What they see is some other young worried face under a daft hair cut.

Whoever the England manager is gets pressured to pick said promising young players by the wailing media who are as desperate as we are for some England success. We end up with a squad 'full of potential' but no emotional depth/intestinal fortitude. During the Euros Lee Dixon (or one of the other talking heads) said that in big matches you can't hear a team mate screaming at you from 20 ft away due to the stadium noise. We need players who have their own reserves of determination and self motivation.

I hope Sam does start picking slightly more experienced players rather than more starlets. Could Troy Deeney and Defoe have done any worse than our team against Iceland? Cardboard cut outs of big Mark Wright and Stuart Pierce come to mind.

The captain issue is an interesting factor. Rooney does not seem able to steer the ship when the chips are down mid-game. Its interesting how many club captains (then previous or current) were in the 1990 and 1996 squads. 

I hope SA can reverse the horrendous decline. 2010 World Cup sucked, Brazil WC we didn't get out of the group, at the Euros this year we couldn't beat Iceland who have the same population as Leicester. When you consider the 'size' of football in England its totally unacceptable that we haven't won a dicky bird since 1966.

Agree with the above comment "I think the big problem England has is that we have ended up with a team of young guys who at their clubs are essentially the coat holders for foreign big hitters. You get them all together and when the pressure comes on, they are lost as they are looking around for people like Aguero and Mertesacker. What they see is some other young worried face under a daft hair cut."

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

4-3-3 lol. 

Kane hopeless. 

Lallana gets 1 st  goal in 27 games and hit the post as well. 

I thought that Lallana was ok - individually most of them were, but collectively they were bereft of ideas.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

I thought that Lallana was ok - individually most of them were, but collectively they were bereft of ideas.

4-3-3 is not the best for entertaining football at times. 

Breaking down 2 banks of 4 can be difficult though against 10 men. 

Big Sam is happy.

Starter pack supporting England:

1) Manager wins first game then everyone else says this is a new,exciting England that everyone should fear

2) Qualify then everyone says before the tournemant we are going to win it, our young hungry players will bring the trophy home.

3) Do crap in the tournemant then everyone questions what went wrong. The answer is always because the premier league is so,so tough and our players are tired, discounting that 70% of the players in the premier league are foreign and they seem to do alright when it matters.It's totally not because our players aren't as good as people make out

4) Repeat process

10 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

It was better in the 2nd half against ten men, but it was a sending off. Lallana scores for England, could big Sam be our lucky charm :)

Should have been a straight red - deliberate stamp.

Why do England managers hate Vardy? Should be one of the first namex on the teamsheet. Why do they love Rooney? Or Sterling? Neither should be near the squad.

• Drinkwater for Henderson
  • Alli for Rooney
  • Vardy for Sterling

More tempo, more invention and better finishing. Unfortunately the win might convince Sam he got it right, when it was a ponderous team moving the ball too slowly and not pressing high enough. Faults that doubtless sound familiar to us all!

Archived