Tom Carroll

Whoneedshuls

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, England Ram said:

To be fair on the lad he's not the same player talent wise we had here on loan. However, I must agree with others that he's still not the type of player we need right now (unless your shipping out 2/3 current players). 

We do need a solid midfielder who can cut off passing lanes, tackle, track a runner and pass a ball forward with a sense of urgency and pace as a new (not cover) George Thorne. I say new because for me George would be the cover due to his injury record. 

Why put the / between the 2 and 3? 

Surely you meant shipping out 23 current players? ?

From what has been shown thus far this season our side seem to lack leadership and good old horse power in the middle of the park. This idea of defensive midfielder or attacking midfielder can be very frustrating.

Would really like to see a true central midfielder who can get a good strong tackle in and also get on the ball and move it around and weigh in with a few goals.

Who that player is I don't know but can recall players like Gerrard, Keane and so on that weren't pigeon holed as one type or another just central players. 

A player of that ilk would be the catalyst this team needs.

Kind of a Robin Van der Laan. A very underwhelming signing at the time but went on to become a great captain and leader. 

Not sure we've had a captain of his like since. 

Getting bored of hearing that we need a bully in midfield. We spent a record amount on Bradley Johnson to do that job and he ended up being accused of chasing shadows. Because generally midfield enforcers can't play football, and the ones who can do both are way above this level. The problem with having a 6ft big ******* in midfield is that they contribute nothing whatsoever except providing 'steel', which is no good when the footballers aren't doing enough to capitalise.

What would a 6ft destroyer do exactly?

Win more possession? More than 64% as we had last night?

Stop us conceding goals? We've had 3 clean sheets in 5 league games. Hardly leaking goals are we?

30 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He is better than he was before but he isn't the type of midfielder we need. We need a hard man and leader in there

Manager!!!

2 hours ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Report: Derby County battling Swansea in race to re-sign Tottenham ace Tom Carroll

Derby County and Swansea City are keen to re-sign Tom Carroll.

According to The Mirror, Derby County are in a battle with Swansea City as both teams look to re-sign Tottenham Hotspurmidfielder Tom Carroll.

The Rams have been quiet in the summer transfer window, with new manager Nigel Pearson so far failing to bring in any new signings – and just five days away from the transfer deadline, fans are hoping to see some activity.

After scoring just one league goal in four games, Derby need some reinforcements, and a former loan midfielder is being linked with a possible return to the iPro Stadium.

The Mirror report that Derby are interested in signing Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Carroll, who may be allowed to leave White Hart Lane before Wednesday's transfer deadline.

Probably just lazy journalism but thought I'd share :) 

link to site

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/26/report-derby-county-battling-swansea-in-race-to-re-sign-tottenha/

Wrong sort of midfielder - Will (once his confidence and form returns) can do everything Carroll can do and more. We need an enforcer - Scott Parker of 2 or 3 seasons ago would have been ideal.

For me a good defensive midfielder (or a midfielder who can defend) is not one who goes charging round and clattering people. As I said above, for me it's one who can read the passing lanes, cut out the threats before they become such, tackle, track, win a header etc. Then be able to pass the ball with intent forward. 

One of our glaring problems in midfield is our lack of ability to compete there. 

Last night Bryosn and Huges and Butterfiled were largely useless as Burtons midfield outfought, outmoved, out headed, and wanted it more. Regardless of the skill all 3 of ours undoubtedly have, how many midfield headers and second balls did they win? How much pressure did he opposition midfield feel from the 3, how progressive were the 3 into the opposition half  

Sadly very little on all counts. 

15 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Unsure why some fans think the solution to our complete lack of creativity is to sign a midfield bruiser who clatters into everything.

We already have one of those, and he's our record signing.

Because it allows Hughes to play higher up where he is more comfortable and he won't have to worry about defending as much. Hughes higher up the pitch=more creativity=more chances provided to the forwards

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

My good lord. One of the worst players we have had on loan.

Our midfield is utterly pathetic at the minute. But he would make it worse. 

He only looked bad because nobody was on the same wave length as him. He's good with clever players, we didn't have clever players. 

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

Completely the wrong type of player needed, our midfield is lightweight enough! We need a big, nasty, 6ft+ unit in the middle of the park crunching into tackles and breaking up the play allowing our creative players like Hughes, Butterfield and Bryson license to get forward and feed Martin, Bent etc. 

Someone in the Rohan ince mould. 

We had the perfect guy in Thorne, but we just cant rely on him for fitness. We need to replace him sooner rather than later.  

Been hoping we'd sign Rohan Ince for 2/3 seasons now.

58 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Getting bored of hearing that we need a bully in midfield. We spent a record amount on Bradley Johnson to do that job and he ended up being accused of chasing shadows. Because generally midfield enforcers can't play football, and the ones who can do both are way above this level. The problem with having a 6ft big ******* in midfield is that they contribute nothing whatsoever except providing 'steel', which is no good when the footballers aren't doing enough to capitalise.

What would a 6ft destroyer do exactly?

Win more possession? More than 64% as we had last night?

Stop us conceding goals? We've had 3 clean sheets in 5 league games. Hardly leaking goals are we?

He might stop counter attacking teams cutting through  the middle of a lightweight midfield like knife.....Thorne is good positionally , put a man on him and he gets marked out of the game, rough him up a little and he doesn't want to know anymore...hardly surprising given his injury record.

I thought Bradley was goalscoring midfielder, not an enforcer, he just looks like a big unit

11 minutes ago, Bound 2 tease said:

He might stop counter attacking teams cutting through  the middle of a lightweight midfield like knife.....Thorne is good positionally , put a man on him and he gets marked out of the game, rough him up a little and he doesn't want to know anymore...hardly surprising given his injury record.

I thought Bradley was goalscoring midfielder, not an enforcer, he just looks like a big unit

We've only conceded 3 league goals in 5 games. I wouldn't say being cut apart by counter attacking teams is particularly our problem currently.

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

We've only conceded 3 league goals in 5 games. I wouldn't say being cut apart by counter attacking teams is particularly our problem currently.

It is if it means we're having to play our creative players (Hughes & Butterfield) in defensive roles

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

It is if it means we're having to play our creative players (Hughes & Butterfield) in defensive roles

Alright, that's a decent point, fair play. But I don't think our current situation demands this. You could put Baird there, or Johnson. Maybe not the best defensive mids but better in that position than either Hughes or Butterfield I dare say and we've been doing alright with them from a defensive point of view. Putting our creative mids in those positions is a stylistic choice we've deliberately chosen to make. That's what makes it all the more baffling. 

7 hours ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Report: Derby County battling Swansea in race to re-sign Tottenham ace Tom Carroll

Derby County and Swansea City are keen to re-sign Tom Carroll.

According to The Mirror, Derby County are in a battle with Swansea City as both teams look to re-sign Tottenham Hotspurmidfielder Tom Carroll.

The Rams have been quiet in the summer transfer window, with new manager Nigel Pearson so far failing to bring in any new signings – and just five days away from the transfer deadline, fans are hoping to see some activity.

After scoring just one league goal in four games, Derby need some reinforcements, and a former loan midfielder is being linked with a possible return to the iPro Stadium.

The Mirror report that Derby are interested in signing Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Carroll, who may be allowed to leave White Hart Lane before Wednesday's transfer deadline.

Probably just lazy journalism but thought I'd share :) 

link to site

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/26/report-derby-county-battling-swansea-in-race-to-re-sign-tottenha/

Does anyone know who's trying to resign Carroll? 

Archived