Andre Wisdom - Signed for Red Bull Salzburg

David

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Statham512 said:

Surely a defenders primary role is to defend and on that basis he's better than Christie IMO 

Christie makes twice as many tacklers per game as Wisdom did;

Christie makes twice as many interceptions per game as Wisdom did;

Christie makes the same amount of clearances per game as Wisdom did; 

Sure, Christie commits more fouls per game (1 for CC as oppose to 0.6 for AW) and gets dribbled past more often (0.6 pg for CC, 0.3 pg for AW) but with every other defensive stat very similar I'd make the case Christie is better for us defensively than Wisdom was. 

Wisdom has major plus points, but does have limitations. I think he would be a fantastic signing and is very solid at this level.

plus points

stength - rarely gets out muscled

recovery speed - good at covering the cbs

good in the air - useful if clubs hit the long diagonal.

consistent - you know what you are getting with him nearly every game

brave and solid in the tackle - rarely looses a duel.

negative points

positioning and concentration - a couple of times he played people onside by switching of and letting people make runs off him, especially on a long ball.

flair and creativity - doesn't offer as much as Cyrus going forward

final ball - like Cyrus, this can be brilliant or go straight out of play.

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Christie makes twice as many tacklers per game as Wisdom did;

Christie makes twice as many interceptions per game as Wisdom did;

Christie makes the same amount of clearances per game as Wisdom did; 

Sure, Christie commits more fouls per game (1 for CC as oppose to 0.6 for AW) and gets dribbled past more often (0.6 pg for CC, 0.3 pg for AW) but with every other defensive stat very similar I'd make the case Christie is better for us defensively than Wisdom was. 

Wisdom made a tackle 82% of the time when taken on compared to Christie's 80.5%, so again, not much in it.

Would be a great signing.

I love Christie's stylish long runs up the wing be his defending at times is sphincter loosening.

I would view as direct competition and a different style of right back to Christie rather than a simple replacement/upgrade. Just a bit gutting we won't get Wisdom/Fozzy (if it happens).

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Wisdom made a tackle 82% of the time when taken on compared to Christie's 80.5%, so again, not much in it.

I know! It amazes me how different everyone's opinion is of the two then their defensive stats are so similar (most are in Christie's favour) and Christie's offensive stats are so much better. 

Wisdom did well for us and is no doubt a very good player at this level. That being said, if we are only going to sign 1 or 2 players, I would be disappointed if we brought in a Right Back. Not saying Christie is better than Wisdom, but he is a young player who has made huge strides over the last 12 months. He was very good the 2nd half of last season and I wouldn't be ready to give up on him now when we have greater needs.

Top class striker for me and a wide player with quality and end product. No chance of getting him but knockeart would be absolutely ideal. I see judge is signing for Newcastle. Not sure how long he is out, but top player with real quality at this level.

20 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Wisom was frightening when he got forward, I forget who it was against but he ran the entire right flank at the speed of a gazelle and produced an absolute worldie of a cross straight into Martins path, it was sublime.

That was his only assist. "Frightening". Christie is far better in attack.

I was a big fan of Wisdom but he was a defender through and through. That season Forsyth was in great form and one of our most important players. Wisdom's discipline allowed him to attack more or less at will as an extra midfielder.

There's no point having Wisdom at right back unless we have a left back of Forsyth 2013/14 quality.

27 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Wisdom is twice the player Chrstie will ever be. Fast, intelligent, strong as an ox! 

Wisom was frightening when he got forward, I forget who it was against but he ran the entire right flank at the speed of a gazelle and produced an absolute worldie of a cross straight into Martins path, it was sublime.

i'd have him back here in a heartbeat! Top quality player. 

He parks where we wwwaaaaannntttssssss

Barnsley away.

Archived