Moaning Dyche called out in Football365 article

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This 'English managers never get the top jobs' really annoys me.  

Yes, the top clubs tend (always) go for foreign managers but I see it like this; we consider the Premier League to be one of the top two leagues in the world - with Spain - then just below that level you have Germany and Italy, then the likes of Russia, Holland, Portugal and France.

Taking Chelsea as an example.  They got Conte whose cv includes spells at 4 Italian clubs (including 2 promotions) before taking over at Juventus and winning Serie A three times and competing in the Champions League.  Then he had 2 years managing Italy.  It's a pretty impressive cv.  Why should a top club 'take a chance on an English manager'?  Is there any English manager with a record anywhere near as impressive?  Managers like Howe or Dyche (or even Allardyce) should look to build up to the level needed by a team like Chelsea, Man City etc.  Perhaps look to get a job at a team with a chance of winning a tier 3 (France, Holland or Portuguese top flights) or even a tier 4 league like Switzerland, Belgium etc.  Compete in the Champions League, then look to move up to a team in a stronger league then maybe when you have 3 Serie A titles (Conte) or 2 Portuguese titles, 2 cups, a Champions League and a UEFA cup (Mourinho before his first spell with Chelsea) or countless other examples where managers have actually achievements rather than some sense of entitlement through just being English you can get a top job.  Steve McClaren tried it and won the Eredivise with Vitesse and then moved to Germany, unfortunately it was proven he wasn't quite good enough but at least he tried.  Maybe some others should try as well?

?

Gegenpressing is pressing high up the pitch and hunting the ball down at the temporary expense of shape. Burnley did the opposite of that. They let Liverpool have the ball out wide and protected only a small area; in the centre and close to their goal.

Burnley played extremely deep with two banks of four and left two up front. They did it well individually and took their opportunities when they came. It's a bit much to suggest anyone was outwitted.

“They questioned me for playing a 4-4-2 and then everyone played it last year and it was ‘amazing Claudio Ranieri, amazing, tactical genius’.”

Err, look Sean, you do know they won the thing playing 4-4-2 and you were relegated. That’s a big difference. That’s like saying you can use the same words as Jack Kerouac so that makes you as good a writer."

Ha!! Spot on. 

2 hours ago, Grantona said:

Got to give it to Dyche - he tactically outwitted Klopp on Saturday and used the "Gegenpressen" better than its main advocate (Klopp himself).

More of a Klopp blunder than a Dyche masterclass though - I will never ever ever understand teams who use a diamond when they're trying to break the opposition down. 

The article is spot on, you never hear the English media criticize English club managers for being poor. The only real example I can think of is Gary Neville at Valencia but even then they praised him for stepping into the unknown. The point in the article on Gillette Soccer Saturday is 100% correct. I watch it whenever I can and all the pundits ever do is praise the English managers, always mentioning what a brilliant job Sean Dyche and Eddie Howe have done with limited resources. When Bielsa was linked with the Swansea job, on soccer saturday Tony Cottee said that Garry Monk is a better manager than "this Bielsa fella." I was thinking **** off you ignorant tw*t. Bielsa is only the manager to teach the likes of Guardiola,Pochettino and Sampaoli everything they know about coaching. It was Bielsa who revolutionized modern day football and was the first manager to set the trend for the modern day high pressing method. Paul Merson also said that Alan Pardew should be the Chelsea or England manager.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

“They questioned me for playing a 4-4-2 and then everyone played it last year and it was ‘amazing Claudio Ranieri, amazing, tactical genius’.”

Err, look Sean, you do know they won the thing playing 4-4-2 and you were relegated. That’s a big difference. That’s like saying you can use the same words as Jack Kerouac so that makes you as good a writer."

Ha!! Spot on. 

Also Leicester don't even play a proper 4-4-2 like Burnley do. In Leicester's formation Mahrez plays high up on the right unlike the left mid and Okazaki plays behind Vardy. Their midfield and strike force looks more like this than a solid 4-4-2:

Drinkwater                  Mendy/King                                     

Gray

Mahrez               Okazaki

Vardy

Archived