Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

Yep. When he goes to someone else in this league and starts scoring goals people will be saying what a bargain. We could have gone for him. 

I completely agree that he will score goals in this league, just don't believe he will be available at the price you were stating!

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

Football's a simple game… but it's not that simple.

It's clear Pearson wants somebody who can stretch defences and counter at pace.

I am not saying we should sell Martin, buy Bamford and be done. But swapping these two is a no brainier in this market. The leftover cash can then go towards that other type of forward. 

Just now, JoeDerby said:

I completely agree that he will score goals in this league, just don't believe he will be available at the price you were stating!

Depends how much we receive for Martin. Some want £15m. But Bamford will be available for as little as £4m. 

Maybe we are all getting our knickers in a twist. Just because someone has bid for one of our players doesn't automatically mean they are surplus to requirements, as said previously maybe Wolves saw he wasn't started on Sat and thought lets chance it. Maybe he is in Pearsons plans and after pre season Bent got the nod, but as said also Bent is as, if not more, lazy than Martin. 

19 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Bent puts in as little effort as Martin. Yet he was leading our front line first game of the season. Work that one out. The reason we would go for Bamford is because we can swap out Martin for a player that is also a goalscorer and for 1/3 -1/2 what we receive for Martin. People keep saying we should play Blackman up top. Well Bamford almost never played in his favoured position for us. Was stuck out wide where Blackman is and still found the net often. 

20 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

What makes you think we could get Bamford for 1/2-1/3 of Martins price?

He would be around the same price, probably more!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/676970/Bamford-Gibbs-Fletcher-Transfer-News-Rumours-Gossip

Newcastle are reportedly lining up a summer move for Chelsea striker Patrick Bamford, who is said to have a £10million price tag.

That is according to The Chronicle, who claim the Magpies are keen on the 22-year-old as they look for a striker with a proven track record in the Championship.

The Blues youngster enjoyed two successful loan spells at Middlesbrough and Derby from 2013 to 2015, scoring a combined 25 goals in England's second-tier.

I'm afraid we won't get 20-30 millions from Martin.

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Depends how much we receive for Martin. Some want £15m. But Bamford will be available for as little as £4m. 

FFS, nobody is going to pay 15m for Martin :lol:

Wolves won't offer over 8m.

Infact, I wan't 30m for Martin, does that mean he's worth that much?

Have known that Martin could be off for a while. Wolves could be a good fit for him long-term.

This season is all about transition. It seems we're taking a massive gamble with Pearson and giving him licence to break up everything good from the past few years for his own vision.

Taking two steps backwards in order to go forwards. Brave move by MM.

o0o0h god, let up with Bamford wanting please, he hates Derby, he's up his own backside, and he's a posh sod who would only ever use a football club as a stepping stone towards the greatness that is Patrick Barmfo0o0rd. 4 million or 4 quid, no way jose. (pun intended)

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

okay, he isn't. There must be another reason he's only started about 20% of games he's been eligible for in the last 2 seasons.

The championship is his level. That's the reason for his lack of games in the PL. While he was at sides with several forwards. The season before he was at Boro and scored 19 goals in 43 appearances after he joined at the end of august. He started 37 of them. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Have known that Martin could be off for a while. Wolves could be a good fit for him long-term.

This season is all about transition. It seems we're taking a massive gamble with Pearson and giving him licence to break up everything good from the past few years for his own vision.

Taking two steps backwards in order to go forwards. Brave move by MM.

How have you known this if you don't mind me asking?

If we only sell Martin for ~8mil and sign wells or Kodjia or foristieri for 8mil I'd be royally pissed off. Martin has proven to be one of the best outside of the premier league the last 3 seasons whereas the aforementioned have had one good season. Should be looking at ~12 mil. Doesn't matter if he's so called 'out of favour' with Nigel Pearson. That doesn't change his ability.

13 minutes ago, feisty said:

Odd statement given Bent's record at Premier league level and his goals per games ratio (when he starts, not counting coming on as a sub for 5 mins) at Championship level

Bent's Premier league record from 3-4 years ago means nothing now, he is nothing like at that level anymore.

1 minute ago, ollycutts1982 said:

How have you known this if you don't mind me asking?

One of our guys knows Martin's agent pretty well. I said a couple of months back that there will be a decision on Martin, either a new contract and long-term plan or he'll be sold.

Wolves' bid has come out of nowehere, not heard about that, but as for Martin he doesn't fit the picture.

A great shame IMO.

1 minute ago, Lord_Ram said:

If we only sell Martin for ~8mil and sign wells or Kodjia or foristieri for 8mil I'd be royally pissed off. Martin has proven to be one of the best outside of the premier league the last 3 seasons whereas the aforementioned have had one good season. Should be looking at ~12 mil. Doesn't matter if he's so called 'out of favour' with Nigel Pearson. That doesn't change his ability.

How would you feel if we sold Martin for £8m & signed Wells or Kodjia PLUS Forestieri?

4 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

FFS, nobody is going to pay 15m for Martin :lol:

Wolves won't offer over 8m.

Infact, I wan't 30m for Martin, does that mean he's worth that much?

I never said they would. I think we can at least ask for £10m and receive it. Also said Bamford could cost us between 1-3 and 1-2 of what we sell Martin for. Either way if Chelsea don't sell him then he his off out on loan yet again. I would have him back here either way. 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

One of our guys knows Martin's agent pretty well. I said a couple of months back that there will be a decision on Martin, either a new contract and long-term plan or he'll be sold.

Wolves' bid has come out of nowehere, not heard about that, but as for Martin he doesn't fit the picture.

A great shame IMO.

Thanks, I still think he could work if he had Ince playing off him and 2 speedy wingers. With his touch and brain he could be used as the focal point, however if Pearson wants to counter attack with pace he will struggle. Wasn't it Pearson who signed Ulloa for Leicester? Him and Martin are similar(ish) players.

if we sell Martin for close to 6m and have turned down 10ish for Hendrick, i dont know what the plan is at Derby anymore, i'd quite like to, but do we really build a team with aging bent, wiemann blackman and russell as our available strikers with the intention of ince behind? we were looking for a 20 goal a season striker for a long time, after selling our last one, its not martins fault we never replaced defensive midfield properly.

Archived