Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I can't believe fans are seriously wanting to sell the best striker we've had for at least a decade. A player who has directly contributed to 20+ goals every season he has been here. Our best hold up player, our best finisher, our best link up man. Name a better player we would get for the same price.

Sell him and we have who? Bent; an old player who misses chances that Martin would put away with ease - Martin would've had a hattrick against Grimsby if he'd had the same chances Bent got. Zanzala; a young man who hasn't even played for the first team yet. Blackman; a man who despite saying he's a striker has only ever played well on the wing.

Pearson if he isn't the most stubborn man in the world, will realise at some point in September that 442/4411 doesn't work as well as 433 does with this squad and Martin will be straight back in the starting 11. Unless he sells him, at which point he'll begin to regret it and every fan who wanted him gone will regret it.

That was a bit more ranty than I thought it would be.

Pearson has proven 442 / 4411 is the way to get out of this league. We have proved that 433 isn't.

He isn't going to change to 433 in September or anytime soon & will have license from Mel to take his time to rebuild the squad into what he thinks is needed to be successful. We may not like it but it is going to happen and was always on the cards from the day he was appointed.

Martin will be the first of many old favourites to leave and this season will be one where significant rebuilding goes on. I for one am not expecting the playoffs but would be happy with a strong second half run after the January window as his methods and the squad begin to settle into NP's image.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

When there's 20-30k a week layed on table you'd be surprised how quick footballers feelings can change...

I don't doubt he'd come back just don't think he likes us. The fact he even came to Derby with his relations to the dogs says it all about him, he doesn't have to like us if he puts the goals away like he did for Boro

£10 million is a fair price for a player who spends must of the time on the floor.

It could be we have to off load before bringing in new faces?

Maybe we are going for a replacement pacey forward rather than another target man like Martin?

I sense a biblical style meltdown on here if he leaves. But I am sure we will get a replacement for him. I just don't think Martin is very adaptable at playing other than 433. And I don't mind few of the favourites leaving for the sake of a balanced winning team. 

9 million should do it.

Don't sell your best players if you want a strong squad.

Don't sell your best players to rivals.

Don't sell your best players if you don't need the money.

I think he is one of our best players.

We should not sell.

Anybody who disagrees with this view is wrong.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. But wrong opinions are still wrong.

21 minutes ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

Does bamford even like derby

It doesn't matter, thoughts like that tend to go out the window once you turn professional. Anyway, even if he does still harbour a secret dislike for Derby he acted professionally the last time he was here, so I see no reason why it would be any different now.

So Martin is 'unfit', Ince '**** and sulky', Keogh's 'always got amistake in him', Hendrick is 'overrated, Bryson is 'past his best', Hughes 'doesn't fit the formation', Fozzy's average and should be sold for 2.5m and as for Bradley....

Seriously, I despair at some 'supporters' and their informed analyses.

56 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Martin has been very good over the years for us but I've heard from a number of people that Pearson doesn't fancy Martin and isn't very happy with the way that he applies himself. Martin is a 20 goal a season striker when he is played in the right system and the team is built to suit his style. In this current style he'd be lucky to score 10 goals imo. If we are persisting with this new formation then I think it may just be in the best interest of both parties to move on.

I'm not disagreeing that he probably doesn't fit… but what player is that not true of? 

I've got to say I must be one of Chrissies biggest fans, after our Will I reckon he has one of the fastest footballing brains in the team, you can see it with the flicks and passes he makes, thats why he has had a good link with Bryson as he's another that sees opportunities fast. I would be gutted to see him leave as it seems to me skill and flair is being sacrificed for pace and power under Pearson. In which case I worry Hughes, Martin, Thorne etc will be surplus to requirements. 

As an aside we chatted to Brighton fans on Saturday who were shocked Hughes and Martin were not in the starting line up "why were your two best players on the bench?" was the question. When I said it seemed they were out of favour they were shocked......

6 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Pearson has proven 442 / 4411 is the way to get out of this league. We have proved that 433 isn't.

He isn't going to change to 433 in September or anytime soon & will have license from Mel to take his time to rebuild the squad into what he thinks is needed to be successful. We may not like it but it is going to happen and was always on the cards from the day he was appointed.

Martin will be the first of many old favourites to leave and this season will be one where significant rebuilding goes on. I for one am not expecting the playoffs but would be happy with a strong second half run after the January window as his methods and the squad begin to settle into NP's image.

Massive overstatement. Clubs have been promoted or not in loads of different formations. It's not the Holy Grail. 

7 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Bruce proved that 532 is the way out of this league… 

Karanka proved that grinding wins in a 4231 is the way out of this league… 

Howe proved that a controlling 442 is the way out of this league…

Pearson showed that a counter attacking 442 is the way out of this league…

THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA!

I like Martin and he has been an excellent servant to the club and an excellent acquisition.

But he has been here for three seasons as the focal point of the attack and we are still no closer to where we want to be and with him in the side, there is an air of predictability about us and maybe it's time we freshened things up, given that there are question marks over whether Martin is a Nigel Pearson player.

In this current market, we should take McCormack at £12 million as the benchmark for a top Championship striker. As players, I think in terms of their ability and all-round contribution, they are quite similar. However, Martin's goalscoring record is inferior and it's goals that really make a player stand out on the market. McCormack has regularly scored 15+ goals a season and he has delivered the goods for several teams at this level, so you can see why his value has held. Whereas Martin has only really produced consistently for us, so of course there are going to be question marks around him and whether he is a worthwhile investment.

Personally, I would value Martin at £10 million. In this market, anything below £8 million is not worth considering. If we can get £8-10 million for a player who arrived on a free transfer and has given us three years of excellent service but may no longer be a integral part of the team, it makes sense. For me, I would have to question if Martin can get better and if Martin can elevate his game to perform at the highest level. For me, I feel like we may have seen the best he has to offer us.

If we are adamant that we are moving in a different direction, I'd take the gamble and go for Wells. His career is on an upward trajectory. He keeps getting better and better. If he can produce what he has done for Huddersfield, can you imagine what he might be able to do for a top side in this division like ourselves? It's worth a try.

3 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Formations don't get you promoted, getting the best out of your players gets you promoted. The formation that gets the best out of our players is 433.

I'm sure he will try to rebuild the squad and that's his perogative.

I am expecting the playoffs, especially when the squad has proven in the past that it's capable of getting at least the playoffs. Not to mention that Pearson and the players have said that promotion is the target this season. If Pearson can't reach the playoffs with this squad then it's a failure, given that Darren Wassall was able to reach the playoffs with this squad.

Archived