Chris Martin - Signed for Fulham

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

They paid 8, got a good goalscoring return out of him and looks back in form and you know, are kind of our biggest rivals and hate our guts. We'll need 20 million which would be ridiculous. 

I'm one of the few remaining Chris Martin Fan Club members from when he signed on loan from Norwich years ago.. that will not change. I'll be hugely disappointed if we sell and hope to god we have something lined up to replace him.. we've tried to replace him for the last two years and got absolutely no where. 

Totally agree. I'm in that fan club with you, I'm a huge fan of strikers like Martin. 

I rate Martin and I always have yes our system was build around him but its hardly his fault its more because he is that good. Goals win games and the rest of the strikers in the team leave a lot to be desired.

From what I saw on Saturday, Martin would easily fit into the 4-4-1-1 we started with and infact I think he would excel at it. I do agree though Bamford for the rumored £3mil would be very appealing. I think NP would prefer a headless chicken a la Vardy though.

3 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Wells, Kodjia, Rhodes???

Dont want to see Martin go but he isn't irreplaceable. 

Kodjia isn't an option unless we are willing to pay silly money. 

Rhodes has just got to the premiership so surely will want a crack at that, can't see him being available in the near future. 

As for Wells I'd feel uncomfortable paying what's been banded around. If we got £10m for Martin I'd only want to be paying £5m for him. That isn't going to happen. 

I agree he isn't irreplaceable but it is important to replace him with the right player at the right price and one that doesn't weaken us. 

I can't believe fans are seriously wanting to sell the best striker we've had for at least a decade. A player who has directly contributed to 20+ goals every season he has been here. Our best hold up player, our best finisher, our best link up man. Name a better player we would get for the same price.

Sell him and we have who? Bent; an old player who misses chances that Martin would put away with ease - Martin would've had a hattrick against Grimsby if he'd had the same chances Bent got. Zanzala; a young man who hasn't even played for the first team yet. Blackman; a man who despite saying he's a striker has only ever played well on the wing.

Pearson if he isn't the most stubborn man in the world, will realise at some point in September that 442/4411 doesn't work as well as 433 does with this squad and Martin will be straight back in the starting 11. Unless he sells him, at which point he'll begin to regret it and every fan who wanted him gone will regret it.

That was a bit more ranty than I thought it would be.

10 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

We must be the only club in the world that would happily move on their most prolific striker for the past god knows how many years! 

He at least deserves a proper go at 4-4-2!

Baffled :blink:

Ok, your love of Martin is clear.

But football is about what's coming, not what's been, hence the cliche you're only as good as your last game. Martin was brilliant for two seasons, good last season, but hasn't performed well in the first two games of this.

Pearson is the manager and wants to do certain things in  certain way. Both he and Martin will be getting a very good idea by now about how it's going to work this season, and it may well be that Martin won't be an automatic choice or will have to settle for a much smaller role. It may be that Pearson has looked at him and 

You might argue as a 20 goal a season striker you should build a team around him, but that's been done and it hasn't worked as well as we all hoped.

Also, have you ever considered that Martin might not want to be part of the new regime and has intimated he'd rather move than sit on the bench? It may be that he's decided he doesn't want to play for Pearson as much as the other way round?

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

McLovin just answered for me, but I will add that I don't buy that Martin looks the slimmest he's been at Derby right now. There was a moment against Grimsby where he tried to stretch to nod in a header and it looked Sunday league fitness levels. I think it's about looking to bring in a more versatile and dynamic number 9 now, someone less arrogant as well. Arrogance is OK when you can play against the likes of Grimsby without embarrassing yourself. Used to be a Martin fan by the way, despite never enjoying watching 'that type of striker' i.e. Howard, Hulse

That's not the greatest defence,

I understand how he may not suit the 4411 but again how can you judge he is desperately unfit?

3 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

But football is about what's coming, not what's been, hence the cliche you're only as good as your last game. Martin was brilliant for two seasons, good last season, but hasn't performed well in the first two games of this.

Pearson is the manager and wants to do certain things in  certain way. Both he and Martin will be getting a very good idea by now about how it's going to work this season, and it may well be that Martin won't be an automatic choice or will have to settle for a much smaller role. It may be that Pearson has looked at him and 

You might argue as a 20 goal a season striker you should build a team around him, but that's been done and it hasn't worked as well as we all hoped.

Also, have you ever considered that Martin might not want to be part of the new regime and has intimated he'd rather move than sit on the bench? It may be that he's decided he doesn't want to play for Pearson as much as the other way round?

Well if we go by the first 2 games of the season nearly all the squad should be sold. Ridiculous comment. 

Not only does he contribute goals but also assist so by selling him you potentially lose 30+ goals. That's a lot to find. 

£8 million and I'd snap their hands off.

We could put a picture of the cash on the giant screen during matches to keep our spirits up while we watch the ball bouncing off Bent, when he's not offside that is.

3 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

He's only played 90 mins of football, blimey, give him a chance!

I'm sure Martin will fight for a spot in the starting 11, he's been on the bench for 1 game, Bent was scoring in preseason and it would of been a shocker if he didn't start!

You just watch super chrissy be our top scorer again this year and you still won't be happy, maybe NP is trying to get the best out of CM by saying you need to fight for your place?

Let's wait and see.

Archived