Chris Gunter

Nuwtfly

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

For all his athleticism, at times Christie's decision making is awful.

Even last night there were occasions in the 1st half where he was far too narrow leaving their left winger in acres of space out wide. He even looked, saw the player, and just stayed narrow.

Some truth there Saul. There was a play in the second half which said it all - he made a run on the right played a 1-2 then cut inside beat a couple of players and shot it 10 yards wide. Everyone moaned and I said : there it is, he's special because he's got mad skill but it's followed by a botched execution so you can look at that and say he's no good or one more step up in his game and he's a star. Depends how you look at it. 

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

Some truth there Saul. There was a play in the second half which said it all - he made a run on the right played a 1-2 then cut inside beat a couple of players and shot it 10 yards wide. Everyone moaned and I said : there it is, he's special because he's got mad skill but it's followed by a botched execution so you can look at that and say he's no good or one more step up in his game and he's a star. Depends how you look at it. 

Sorry we missed each other on Saturday. This post reminds me we see things in a similar fashion.

Except for that mysterious dip in form last season where he seemed to lose self belief, I really think he is one step away from being a desirable premier league player. He has pace, strength, skill on the ball, a certain cavalier go get em attitude that ranks with the best. 2 bits missing .. That little bit of resilience in his own confidence and some final decision making. He made the right one at the end of the first half last night and taught Blackman a lesson .. Look up .. Don't just whip it vaguely across goal. He found Bryson with a really well worked wingers run (with Blackmans help ) but pulled it back because he saw Bryson bombing in. He's got it .. Just needs the right coach 

Gunter is an above average Championship right back. I'd say he's not as good as Christie whose athleticism he cannot match, but he's reasonable. Some might argue he's a little better than Christie. No one could argue that he's clearly a far superior player.

If this rumour is true I once again bang my head against the wall at the pointless prospect of yet more squad bloat. We need to be buying players for the first team who are clearly better than what we've had and Gunter isn't it. I don't care that he played for the Gumps. So did Alan Hinton and Terry Hennessy and I'd have taken Ian Storey-Moore having cheered his lap of honour round the Baseball Ground pitch.

If we want to buy a Brit-based right back let's have de Laet.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If this rumour is true I once again bang my head against the wall at the pointless prospect of yet more squad bloat. We need to be buying players for the first team who are clearly better

Agree with this, our squad is good enough now imo, we just need a couple of big first team players to make the difference now.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Christie arrived with potential, and we overlooked his flaws cos he was young with room to improve. I would suggest he has not developed/improved one bit since arriving.

I don't get it? Brayford was seen as an exceptional right back due to his ability to both attack and defend, yet Christie (who I'd say is better) is slated for the same thing. He might not be the most consistent defender but he more than makes up for it with his link up plays and runs 

Just now, RamLad1884 said:

I don't get it? Brayford was seen as an exceptional right back due to his ability to both attack and defend, yet Christie (who I'd say is better) is slated for the same thing. He might not be the most consistent defender but he more than makes up for it with his link up plays and runs 

Brayford was the best of an average bunch when midtable obscurity and beating Forest were seen as successful seasons. We are not attempting to gain promotion and whilst Christie is possibly marginally better than Brayford, he too is a midtable level defender.

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Christie arrived with potential, and we overlooked his flaws cos he was young with room to improve. I would suggest he has not developed/improved one bit since arriving.

Think that is a bit harsh. He was dreadful towards the end of the 2014/15 season, but was very good in the 2015/16 season.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

we must have different interpretations of "very good". 

Alright, above average. You can't really say he hasn't improved though? He was awful at the end of the 2014/15 season and most people wanted Baird to be the starter over Christie at the start of the 2015/16 season.

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Alright, above average. You can't really say he hasn't improved though? He was awful at the end of the 2014/15 season and most people wanted Baird to be the starter over Christie at the start of the 2015/16 season.

we must have different interpretations of "most people"

37 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Ask B4 how good bird is and whether he's better than Christie the player that went to the euros

Baird did more at the EUROs than Christie did lol

PistoldPete2
9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Baird did more at the EUROs than Christie did lol

Gunter did more in the euros than Baird or christie. He's not that good tho. I still think we need christie if only cos we don have wingers so attacking full backs is the next bst thing. 

Archived