POLL: Supermanagers; who is better?

Mostyn6

Who is the better manager?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Luis Enrique, absolutely nothing before Barca and now he's got 2x La Liga titles, 2x Cope Del Reys and a CL

And this is why I question how great some of these achievements are. 

Honestly not looking to troll or wind Bris up here and he will 100% disagree with me all the way but when you have World Class players thrown at you, could Nigel Clough go in there and come away with more Silver than the Queen's cutlery tray?

Yes he assembled these World Class jigsaw pieces in a beautiful picture but could Enrique have done that despite being a flop everywhere else, what about Billy Davies?

That's why I'm really looking forward to seeing what Guardiola does with Man City, still wish he went to Arsenal, a club that wouldn't go and splash £50m on the likes of John Stones. 

Mourinho's Porto CL win is why he get's my vote. Both have impressive records but Mourinho has that Porto cherry on his cake. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mourinho's European Cups at Porto and Inter were fantastic - I particularly liked the latter as they were masterful at the defensive side of football that people all too quickly label 'ugly'.

Having said that, Guardiola I sense is more revolutionary and forward thinking - the keeper being an outfield player, 2 defenders, no strikers, 7 midfielders, passing to defend a lead... I think in the long term he'll be remembered far more fondly than Mourinho.

On balance, it comes down to who I'd want to manage us and I'd much prefer Guardiola, for the style of football, and he doesn't come across as a complete bell-end.

On 9/8/2016 at 04:35, David said:

Luis Enrique, absolutely nothing before Barca and now he's got 2x La Liga titles, 2x Cope Del Reys and a CL

And this is why I question how great some of these achievements are. 

Honestly not looking to troll or wind Bris up here and he will 100% disagree with me all the way but when you have World Class players thrown at you, could Nigel Clough go in there and come away with more Silver than the Queen's cutlery tray?

Yes he assembled these World Class jigsaw pieces in a beautiful picture but could Enrique have done that despite being a flop everywhere else, what about Billy Davies?

That's why I'm really looking forward to seeing what Guardiola does with Man City, still wish he went to Arsenal, a club that wouldn't go and splash £50m on the likes of John Stones. 

Mourinho's Porto CL win is why he get's my vote. Both have impressive records but Mourinho has that Porto cherry on his cake. 

Luis Enrique did an excellent job at Celta Vigo prior to joining Barcelona. And compare his record to Gerardo Martino who was at Barca the previous year, and you can't just say it was the team.

And Enrique a flop everywhere else? He only ever managed Roma before that, and for a meagre 12 months.

Guardiola walked in to a Barcelona squad that finished 3rd in La Liga the previous season, 18 points behind Real Madrid. He did't walk in to the best team on the planet immediately like some claim he did.

Mourinho won the CL at Porto, but the only decent team they played in the knockout rounds was Man Utd where they were extremely fortunate to get through. They were favourites to beat Lyon, Deportivo and Monaco in the quarters, semis and final. It was a great victory, but hardly a masterpiece like Greece winning Euro 2004.

I'm looking forward to seeing Guardiola at City too. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can improve what I consider not very good technical players but typically overpriced, overrated English players like Sterling and Hart.

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel Clough is a better manager than both.

He built Burton Albion up from a non league club to a position where they could get promoted to the Football League and be good enough to remain there with ease.

He then came to Derby when we were in a state of meltdown after the Billy Davies and Paul Jewell attempt to destroy our club and gave us back some pride by slowly building a squad of talented players on a budget of next to nowt.

The superb football played under Shteve was with Nigel's players. He was so close to building a team capable of going up and performing at that next level. I believe that we would have gone up if Sam hadn't of sacked Nigel. I believe we would have stayed up as well because that's what Nigel does. He builds for the future.

Nigel Clough will build you a really strong squad of talented players at very little cost, given the time.

Could Pep or Jose do the same?

If I had the best players in the world I'd give them to Pep. If I wanted to make a hugely successful team out of a lesser group of players I'd choose Mourinho every time, something I don't think Pep could manage as effectively due to his insistence on the perfect style with players set for each role with specific skill sets.

So it depends on the situation. Coaching wise in general it's probably Pep though.

People sometimes forget that Pep has managed at a lower level.  He was in charge of Barcelona B for 1 year in the 4th tier of Spanish football.  They won the league and got promoted to the Segunda B.  He replaced Frank Rijkaard as first team manager the following season.

• 3 weeks later...

Man City have started brilliantly under Pep. Having said that, they looked unstoppable this time 12 months ago when they won their first five games without conceding a single goal.

I actually look at City and on paper they don't look particularly great. Aguero, David Silva and De Bruyne (Kompany too when fit) aside, I don't feel they actually have anybody of world class ability. 

IMO, United have the stronger squad. Early days yet.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Man City have started brilliantly under Pep. Having said that, they looked unstoppable this time 12 months ago when they won their first five games without conceding a single goal.

I actually look at City and on paper they don't look particularly great. Aguero, David Silva and De Bruyne (Kompany too when fit) aside, I don't feel they actually have anybody of world class ability. 

IMO, United have the stronger squad. Early days yet.

I think it's the opposite. Man Utd have all of their players 100% fit whereas not all of City's best players have come back yet, e.g Kompany and Gundogan. Man Utd haven't looked convincing at all to me, I can't see what their philosophy is whereas with City, you can clearly see what they are doing. They aren't going to win the league with Fellaini and Pogba as their cdms. The formation doesn't suit their best players at all, Pogba plays best as a left sided midfielder in a 3 man midfield like he did with Juventus. I think that for the first couple of games they relied on individual genius to get them out of trouble. Man City look stronger game by game. I'm looking forward to seeing how the likes of Sane and Gabriel Jesus incorporate into their team.

5 hours ago, lrm14 said:

I've always said Mourinho until Pep does it at a club which doesn't already have the best squad in the league by a country mile. The way he's started with city though is frightening, they look superb at the moment.

When Pep took over Barcelona, they had an inferior team to Real Madrid , having finished nearly 20 points behind them in the season before Pep took over so that's a lot of nonsense. I don't know why this is the case in England, but people don't seem to appreciate what Pep has done in the past. It might be due to ignorance.They arguably had a weaker team than Villarreal too at the time as they finished 10 points behind them in the 07/08 season

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

When Pep took over Barcelona, they had an inferior team to Real Madrid , having finished nearly 20 points behind them in the season before Pep took over so that's a lot of nonsense. I don't know why this is the case in England, but people don't seem to appreciate what Pep has done in the past. It might be due to ignorance.They arguably had a weaker team than Villarreal too at the time as they finished 10 points behind them in the 07/08 season

But we now know he didn't have a weaker team don't we, rather Rijkaard underachieved. He had the core of the strongest Spanish squad ever coming through the youth system and the worlds best player. He did have to make difficult decisions like getting rid of Ronaldinho and Deco but both were clearly getting past their best. Look at the Barcelona squad he inherited and tell me again that it's 'nonsense'. Especially when you consider the Real squad started shifting players like Robben, Sneijder, Van Nistlerooy and Huntelaar for bigger 'galactico' signings who didn't perform (Kaka).

14 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

But we now know he didn't have a weaker team don't we, rather Rijkaard underachieved. He had the core of the strongest Spanish squad ever coming through the youth system and the worlds best player. He did have to make difficult decisions like getting rid of Ronaldinho and Deco but both were clearly getting past their best. Look at the Barcelona squad he inherited and tell me again that it's 'nonsense'. Especially when you consider the Real squad started shifting players like Robben, Sneijder, Van Nistlerooy and Huntelaar for bigger 'galactico' signings who didn't perform (Kaka).

I think he inherited a lot of excellent players who hadn't realised their potential. But it takes a world class coach to help these players reach teir potential. They don't do it on their own.

I don't know why people use this though as some point to argue Pep needs to do more.

Name me a world class manager in recent times who has taken over a midtable club and established them as the best in their respective country over a period of time.

It doesn't happen. Because world class managers take over world class teams.

What do people expect from Pep? or him to take over a Sunderland and turn them into the best? There is a reason he gets the best jobs on the planet and is trusted to work with the best players in the world.

The same goes for Mourinho, Ancelotti, Conte, Allegri, Hynckes etc.

Archived