Lumping it?

utisbug

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea why we thought it was a good idea to hit long balls today. 

Brighton looked most vulnerable on the flanks but in the second half we didn't play anyone wide left and Blackman and Christie became the Chuckle Brothers (to me, to you).

The team looked a bit short on confidence and the long ball can become the easy option in those circumstances.

Let's hope that's all it was.

I don't think we went long a lot on purpose but when Chris Baird or Bradley were under pressure, that's what they did. Then you have Shacks who defends like a beast put will pump balls up even without pressure. Sometimes it's good because it keeps the defence honest with Bents speed, and if Ince rather than watching actually anticipated bents headed flicks we could have had one or two great chances on those. Brightens passing was much slicker (to borrow Nigels word post game)

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I have no idea why we thought it was a good idea to hit long balls today. 

Brighton looked most vulnerable on the flanks but in the second half we didn't play anyone wide left and Blackman and Christie became the Chuckle Brothers (to me, to you).

The team looked a bit short on confidence and the long ball can become the easy option in those circumstances.

Let's hope that's all it was.

It was immensely frustrating to see that whenever we switched the play wide to Baird he had absolutely no options in front of him. I agree about Christie and Blackman too. Blackman, like Ince, only wants to do one thing, receive the ball to feet and run at the fullback. The problem is that when Christie is in full flow he needs the winger to drag defenders out of his way rather than just standing stock still in the space he wants to run into. Bent is particularly good at this. His movement when Ince picks up the ball is often designed to take one or two defenders out of the play rather than Bent actually looking to receive the ball himself.

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

Bent is particularly good at this. His movement when Ince picks up the ball is often designed to take one or two defenders out of the play rather than Bent actually looking to receive the ball himself.

Ah, so that must be why Ince held onto the ball for 5 or 6 seconds, totally ignoring the run of Bent who pointed again and again to where he wanted the ball played, instead waiting until Bent was 2 yards offside before playing a pass -  it was all a ruse! Ince got confused by sheer scale of our tactical masterplan! 

:ph34r:

What makes me laugh is loads of fans saying we went long and just booted it, then praise Brighton and say how good dunk was and didn't give bent a sniff.

dunk can do one pass and it's a long floated ball on the diagonal on to on left backs head, or straight out of play.

he must have hit that ball around 10-15 times yesterday.

we would be sarcastically cheering his successful passes about 10 minutes into his debut if we signed him.......

Just now, KBB said:

What makes me laugh is loads of fans saying we went long and just booted it, then praise Brighton and say how good dunk was and didn't give bent a sniff.

dunk can do one pass and it's a long floated ball on the diagonal on to on left backs head, or straight out of play.

he must have hit that ball around 10-15 times yesterday.

we would be sarcastically cheering his successful passes about 10 minutes into his debut if we signed him.......

But the difference is, they had Glenn Murray up front, who won plenty of those balls, and gave our centre halves a torrid time. Whereas bent won precisely zero.  You play to your strengths, and Brighton did that, we didn't.

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

But the difference is, they had Glenn Murray up front, who won plenty of those balls, and gave our centre halves a torrid time. Whereas bent won precisely zero.  You play to your strengths, and Brighton did that, we didn't.

Ah I see, so it's fine for Brighton to lump it, be organised, tough to break down, resilient and hard working and make the top 6 every season, yet Pearson tries this for one game and all of a sudden we are tearing apart of previous 5 years of attractive/failure football?

(I know what you mean though x)

Archived