Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Chelsea's performance was the best from a Premier League side that I can remember in a long time.

Dismantled a decent Everton side.

If Chelsea continue in the same vein as they have done over the past couple of weeks, they will win the PL.

Hazard looked nearly as good as Hughes today.

29 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Liverpool are something else, some special players in that attack- beautiful to watch 

Playing with such freedom.

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

Excellent 1-0 win for Rep Ireland in Austria this evening.  Not a great deal of football on show, but well done James McClean, playing through a back injury to score the winner.  I've never heard anyone say a single bad word about the lad!:ph34r:

To be fair, the Austrians were all over the shop.

Set up to fail by manager Marcel Koller who persists in playing Alaba out of position where he clearly struggles. Persists in playing both Sabitzer and Janko up front who are both slow as the M1 on a Friday teatime but instead of playing to their strengths and whipping balls in to them, he gets the rest of the players to keep trying to thread their way through the middle when the Irish have condensed the play.

Arnautovic reverts back to his usual sulky self when it's not going well (trust me - seen it loads of times). Hinteregger arguing all the time with both Dragovic and Wimmer presumably about the latter pairs appalling positioning tonight. Wimmer at full back to replace retired Leicester man Christian Fuchs, bombing forward, losing possession and not being arsed to track back.

Ozcan as second choice keeper letting McLean score through his legs at the near post. Second choice? Shouldn't be anywhere near the 11 IMO.

We're playing like a team of strangers, passes going astray, no cohesion, lack of discipline and something is very badly wrong.

I say all this as an Austria fan incase you are wondering.

Ireland put in exactly the type of performance I expected and I certainly didn't expect them to win given their predictability.

It will be a struggle now for Austria to get 2nd and quite frankly it pains me to say it, we don't deserve it at the minute.

Tonight we weren't unlucky but nor were we outplayed. The famous Austrian apathy is setting in again. The type that led many Austria fans to sign a petition so that Austria couldn't co host the Euros with Switzerland a few years back. They were embarrassed of the team and worried they would embarrass the country if they participated.

Well in nearly 25 years of watching Austria I can honestly say tonight was amongst the top 5 worst performance I've ever seen from an Austrian national team. The 1-0 defeat in the Faroes in the 90's being the worst.

Ireland were up against nothing tonight and the fans in the Ernst Happel had even given up.

7 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Ireland were up against nothing tonight and the fans in the Ernst Happel had even given up.

Yeah, I was surprised by the Austrian performance.  Clearly the better side on paper, but they didn't seem to produce and I've never seen Alaba play so poorly.  Rep Ireland don't have the quality to outplay anyone really, but they'll always give 100% and actually took the goal quite well after Wimmer's ? inexplicable dive in the corner.  Still, a long way to go in the group, but by the looks of things a new coach might be in order for Austria.

13 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, I was surprised by the Austrian performance.  Clearly the better side on paper, but they didn't seem to produce and I've never seen Alaba play so poorly.  Rep Ireland don't have the quality to outplay anyone really, but they'll always give 100% and actually took the goal quite well after Wimmer's ? inexplicable dive in the corner.  Still, a long way to go in the group, but by the looks of things a new coach might be in order for Austria.

Yeah I think Koller has had his time. When we qualified for France at a canter we did so by using Janko et al as hold up men and having runners in behind or out on the wings getting crosses in. It just seemed to work so well with Baumgartlinger doing all the spade work and the likes of Zlatko Junuzovic (missing tonight) being playmaker.

On looking back at the Euros and the performances that both Russia and Sweden put in, both teams we finished ahead of in the group, i just don't think either team are very strong so perhaps the qualifying lulled us into a false sense of security. Certainly at the Euros we were absolutely dreadful and were deservedly eliminated at the first hurdle.

The confidence has just been destroyed in such a short time and things are getting back to the Austria I've been used to these past 20 odd years. Failures but with such potential.

IMO it's a mentality issue as well as not being aggressive enough. The last player I can remember who had the capacity to change games and motivate others into action was Andy Herzog who I believe was helping Klinsmann coaching in the USA the last time I looked. A long time ago.

Herzog was a star for us.

I don't know. We just ship goals for fun now and nobody seems too fussed.

Koller is in the boring Hodgson mould when it needs a Klopp. Austrian players are struggling for form, confidence and a bit of man love and Koller is not that man. Tougher times ahead.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Yeah I think Koller has had his time. When we qualified for France at a canter we did so by using Janko et al as hold up men and having runners in behind or out on the wings getting crosses in. It just seemed to work so well with Baumgartlinger doing all the spade work and the likes of Zlatko Junuzovic (missing tonight) being playmaker.

On looking back at the Euros and the performances that both Russia and Sweden put in, both teams we finished ahead of in the group, i just don't think either team are very strong so perhaps the qualifying lulled us into a false sense of security. Certainly at the Euros we were absolutely dreadful and were deservedly eliminated at the first hurdle.

The confidence has just been destroyed in such a short time and things are getting back to the Austria I've been used to these past 20 odd years. Failures but with such potential.

IMO it's a mentality issue as well as not being aggressive enough. The last player I can remember who had the capacity to change games and motivate others into action was Andy Herzog who I believe was helping Klinsmann coaching in the USA the last time I looked. A long time ago.

Herzog was a star for us.

I don't know. We just ship goals for fun now and nobody seems too fussed.

Koller is in the boring Hodgson mould when it needs a Klopp. Austrian players are struggling for form, confidence and a bit of man love and Koller is not that man. Tougher times ahead.

Yeah, a lot was expected of Austria at the Euros, but they didn't deliver which must have been a big disappointment for the fans.  I remember Herzog, he was a proper player alright.  Coaching the US U23 team at the moment, according to Wiki, might be worth looking at getting him back into the Austrian set up in some capacity if that's possible.  I remember Toni Polster too from back in the day.....I wonder what he is up to these days.  I suppose being a good player does not necessarily makes a good manager though, otherwise you'd still have Hans Krankl as coach.

Rep Ireland are the opposite at the moment, O'Neill is getting the most out of a limited bunch, but that can only take us so far. 

Some quality football being played. Some of the crossing is superb.

Wanted to see how Brad Halliday was getting on at Cambridge. He played for York a few seasons back on loan from Middlesbrough. His storming run and cross set up their equaliser.

Some very talented players at lower levels and given a chance they could step up to Championship level I'm sure. I don't see why teams pay over the odds for players when there are plenty of gems going cheap at lower levels that just need polishing up.

9 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Cambridge boss Shaun Derry is doing my nut in though on the touchline.

He keeps spitting and he's not even playing!

Dirty get

Stop spitting !! No need!!

One of the worst at spitting is Alex Neil the Norwich manager - when it's not necessary it's just a filthy habit.

Fully deserved win by Cambridge - lost count the number of times they hit the woodwork and also had a valid goal ruled out by the lino.

Archived