Chris Martin

JimmyDCFC

Seen a huge amount of people going on about how Chris Martin's time at Derby should be over, some even saying good riddance. I get how some people don't like him (not a runner, complains a lot) so I understand he can grind some people's gears, but I'd love to know why over this summer people have decided that he's useless. 

60+ goals over three seasons, 15 last season and that was his worst. For years all fans have been going on about is a striker who can score goals, we now have a proven one and some fans want rid. Maybe come January he may be surplus to requirements, but he more than anyone has earned a chance to prove himself again under a new manager and a new system. 

Bent has done excellently pre-season but does anyone really expect him to lead the line for 46 games? He's a poacher - which we do need - but we need a spearhead up front (particularly if we're playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 where the Centre forward is the focal point) to hold us together, Martin does that AND scores goals. 

There'll be a lot of chopping and changing but I'd personally start Bent and Martin, let them form a partnership, Martin the target man with Bent running in behind, could be deadly given both can score goals. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my head I still think Martin and Bent could make a brilliant pairing up top. Don't know how it's not clicked but if it ever did, my god would it be beautiful.

BTW anyone who thinks Chris Martins time is up at Derby needs their head checking. We were crying out for 20 goal a season striker for as long as I can remember. We got one for free in the end and if he needs some time to adjust to the new managers style then I for one feels he's earned that time and then some.

Can't say I've seen much negativity about him and nor should there be.

If he can stay on his feet a bit more and cut out some of the negative body language, then that'll do for me.....Or do neither and still score 20+ goals. that'd be fine & dandy too.

the negativity hasnt happend over night, its gradually come on over from last season to now. Were at a time now where were trying to take it to the next level and for me Martin isnt good enough. If he had the skill of Ronaldo i wouldnt mind that he moans and has little work rate... but he hasnt. Yes hes scored plenty of goals for us, but we need someone whos going to work their socks off as well as score goals. Were striving to be Premiership, Martin is 100% championship. I know were still in the champ but i wouldnt be bothered if we sold him and brought in an improvement. Once we go up, he wont last long and will soon be out the door.

He's the first player my Dad has a whinge at when things aren't going our way. I continually remind him we'd be a lot worse off without his goals AND ASSISTS. I think it's his demeanour that clouds people's opinion of him, not any lack of ability.

4 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

the negativity hasnt happend over night, its gradually come on over from last season to now. Were at a time now where were trying to take it to the next level and for me Martin isnt good enough. If he had the skill of Ronaldo i wouldnt mind that he moans and has little work rate... but he hasnt. Yes hes scored plenty of goals for us, but we need someone whos going to work their socks off as well as score goals. Were striving to be Premiership, Martin is 100% championship. I know were still in the champ but i wouldnt be bothered if we sold him and brought in an improvement. Once we go up, he wont last long and will soon be out the door.

I see your point, but at the end of the day he does score goals, which is arguably the ultimate end product. He doesn't necessarily need to run about a lot, players around him (Weimann, Russell, Bryson etc) can do that, I'd also argue that Ince needs to be running about far more than Martin and he hasn't done that up until pre-season. Like I said, I might be wrong and Martin might be passed it, but he definitely deserves a chance to prove himself. 

He does moan too much.

And hes not exactly agile which might go against what Pearson wants.

BUT... he is still the best technically at the club after Hughes.

How many cup ties have we seen where Bent or Best or whoever just arent cutting it, and supersub Martin comes on, and we immediately become a threat. Yes he can lead the line but I also think he does a decent job playing in the hole and again alongside Hughes he always has the awareness to slip in a pass for a runner which most players just dont see.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

How many cup ties have we seen where Bent or Best or whoever just arent cutting it, and supersub Martin comes on, and we immediately become a threat. 

This. 

Granted, our overall system may differ this season - but there were multiple instances over the last 3 years where nothing clicked without Martin on the pitch. Still my favorite player in the squad :wub:

59 minutes ago, JimmyDCFC said:

Seen a huge amount of people going on about how Chris Martin's time at Derby should be over, some even saying good riddance. I get how some people don't like him (not a runner, complains a lot) so I understand he can grind some people's gears, but I'd love to know why over this summer people have decided that he's useless. 

There are hundreds of villages in Derbyshire.

Every village has its idiot.

24 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

If you reckon Martin doesn't work hard enough then either you don't go to matches or if you do, you've dropped off to sleep. Playing the lone striker (which he has done for most of his time here) demands a lot of energy, frequently chasing what inevitably proves to be lost causes. Also, the number of times he makes defence-clearing headers makes his contribution to the team well worthy of a regular starting place.

Granted he's not the most mobile of strikers, is a whinger (which doesn't bother me one bit) and ends up on his rear end too often (which does) but it's interesting that you've not mentioned any replacements which could be indicative of there not being too many suitable alternatives around.

If we do change the system to a front 2 then it may be a valid point that his value to the side is reduced but I for one am delighted he's still here and guess what...... he'll probably be our top goalscorer yet again.

6 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

With the current squad, Carson, Hughes, Martin are my only 100% cert starters. People who can't see Martin's ability (past his bad points) are football blind IMO.

Whilst I agree Martin is superb, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start on Saturday. 

NIGEL Pearson wants his Derby County team to play with energy and commitment. If Martin fits that, then he will be in the side. 

Can't knock his goal scoring record , but he is forever falling on his arse looking for free kicks and soon switches off when things aren't going his way.

I think tomorrow we will see Bent up front, as he has had a good pre-season and is a goal scorer. He will also fit the expected formation better.

8 minutes ago, DeanYatesFarPost said:

NIGEL Pearson wants his Derby County team to play with energy and commitment. If Martin fits that, then he will be in the side. 

Can't knock his goal scoring record , but he is forever falling on his arse looking for free kicks and soon switches off when things aren't going his way.

I think tomorrow we will see Bent up front, as he has had a good pre-season and is a goal scorer. He will also fit the expected formation better.

Yeah I see your point, his constant falling over pisses me off so much but I can forgive it given how well he holds the side together, even if he himself doesn't score. 

Theo had 9 by November in his last season, probably would have hit 20 if given the full season. One of his goals was a solo goal beating three players. He was quick and ran a lot. Sometimes I feel as though people would rather have Theo back. 

Far too many people focus on Martin's faults and what he can't do rather than what he can do. He's possibly our most technically gifted player, he can pass, he can finish, he's two footed, he can pick a killer pass as well as any of our other players, only Hughes and Thorne share his footballing awareness and he's just about our only player who can score a free-kick. 

Usually when we hammer teams and Martin's at his best Martin himself doesn't actually score. 

Just give him the ball to feet and get somebody running off of him and the rest'll take care of it's self.

12 minutes ago, DeanYatesFarPost said:

You say that like he literally brings nothing to the team bar goals. 

I've never understood how people get so wound up by a few antics yet can clearly look past all the other good stuff he does. Fair play. 

I LOVE Martin's whining... 

We have a player who always wants to be involved, complains when people don't include him, gets frustrated when people don't find him in the box because ALL he wants to do is make and score goals... And actually points out to the referee when defenders (who genuinely get away with a LOT... especially against a lone striker) kick him...

And anyone who isn't sure he's being fouled a lot? Joint 13th most fouled player in the league... Out of what... 500 players?

Archived