MMA

seths-cap

Evening, was wondering if there was any fellow MMA fans on the forums? If so, who do you rate and what events are you looking forward to?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like MMA - I've been watching it regularly for ten years and I attended UFC 85 at the O2 in 2008.

My favourite fighter is Anderson Silva. He is a legend of the sport. He was undefeated in the UFC for seven years and won 16 consecutive fights, including 10 middleweight title defenses. In recent years, he has declined and lost relevance as he is reaching the end of his career. He has lost 4 of his last 5 fights and he was also suspended for failing a drugs test which tarnishes his legacy somewhat. But nevertheless, a breathtaking fighter and always one who leaves you on the edge of your seat.

If you want an exciting fight, the likes of Frankie Edgar, Carlos Condit and Donald Cerrone are usually worth watching. If you want to watch someone on the rise, Thomas Almeida, Max Holloway, Stephen Thompson and Valentina Shevchenko are worth keeping an eye on. If you want to see pure mastery, Dominick Cruz and Demetrious Johnson are pretty much peerless in their respective weight classes.

Obviously the fight that everyone is looking to at the moment is the rematch between Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor at UFC 202. Personally I think the outcome will be virtually the same but McGregor is the biggest star in the sport for a reason and that's because win, lose or draw, people are intrigued to see him fight, myself included.

Other fights I'd recommend watching in the coming months are:

-Anthony Pettis v Charles Oliveira

-Demian Maia v Carlos Condit

-Anthony Johnson v Glover Teixeira

-Stipe Miocic v Alastair Overeem

-Fabricio Werdum v Ben Rothwell

-Dustin Poirier v Michael Johnson

Enjoy!

You know your stuff mate. I'd love to go to a UFC event but I know I'd have to pay a fortune just to sit on the roof. 

The Spider is a absolute legend. One of my all time favourites. Shame to see him as he is now, still a good fighter but time has taken it's toll. The begging of the end was the loss to Weidmann and the leg break in the rematch. I will always think of him in the highest regard.

If you like Silva, check out Michael Venom Paige (if you haven't already) he basically break dances for two minutes and then someone's laying on the floor knocked out. Justin Gaethje is another fighter well worth watching, fights in the WSOF. Obviously You've heard of Eddison Barboza with being a UFC fan, love watching him fight, those leg kicks are well tasty. A few more I recommend are Alfie Davis, Dean Trueman (from ilson) and Tom Duquesnoy.

Really looking forward to 202. Agree with what you say, I see the exact same happening again. Would love to see Connor win as me and the misses have been following him for a long time. He's got a big gob which can sometime run away with it's self but never the less he's a very exciting fighter to watch. 

Pretty much every fighter you've mentioned and the up coming fights I either love watching or am looking forward to seeing. Miocic v Overeem will be epic and Poirier v Johnson. 

Glad there's a fellow rams fan on here who's as mad on MMA as I am. I know some people see it as just a brutal blood sport but to me it's one of the truest forms of art.

What do you make of Bellator @Jourdan

2 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

@B4ev6is loves a bit of tetsudo I hear.:p

I was gonna recommend the Crane technique to B4 and then I remembered he hates Birds!

Well they're due to announce UFC 204 which will be in Manchester in October - maybe that's your chance? Although I know what you mean - nowadays the sport is very popular and ticket prices reflect that. It's worth going though, for the experience and the atmosphere alone. Even if it's just once.

To be honest, I watch what I can when I can. I will happily watch UFC, Bellator, WSOF or ONE but it's quite difficult at times with the scheduling and advertising. For example, I lived in Russia for three years and I would have to stream live events from North America at 5 or 6 in the morning. So sometimes I would fall asleep halfway through the fights. It sucks. There aren't many greater feelings than having a pizza as you watch an interesting night of fights but it's difficult to do at the crack of dawn.  And also events from the other organisations are rarely well-publicised and so you'd forget they were on, especially if there were no fights that caught the eye.

I like Bellator. I watch their shows from time to time. Some of the best fights I've ever seen have been Bellator fights. Look up Michael Chandler v Eddie Alvarez, for example. It's interesting that they show Bellator on 5. It'll definitely come in handy now I've returned to the UK and I can't watch UFC without a subscription. Or maybe I'll suck it up and subscribe to BT.

I've seen a few of Michael Page's fights, similarly with Gaethje. I haven't been blown away by either of them but quite honestly they desperately need a step up in competition. People will always be dubious if not. Certainly with Page, my gut feeling is he would be found out in the UFC due to the greater depth of competition, but I'm no expert.

Miocic v Overeem is impossible to predict. With heavyweight fights, the course of a fight can change in a split second. I feel like Overeem is finding momentum at the right time but it also depends which version of him turns up. I was very impressed with his performance against dos Santos. If it's the calculated 'Ecoreem' who fought dos Santos, I could see him winning no doubt.

McGregor is box-office comedy value but I think the Diaz saga will humble him in a big way..

Archived