Chris Baird

Srg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You come across as quite a sensible poster, and this is further enhanced by your podcast appearances. However, I don't see why you can't just give Baird a fresh start and get off his back. Yes, he didn't play brilliantly last season, but he by no means played badly, and his lack of desire to push forward could be attributed to the negative system that Clement employed. I wouldn't want him as a starting right back because I like Christie but I would be perfectly happy to have him as a squad player who could come in and cover four different positions. We can't judge players off the back off a small number of games; whatever happened to that John "Useless" fellow?

3 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

You come across as quite a sensible poster, and this is further enhanced by your podcast appearances. However, I don't see why you can't just give Baird a fresh start and get off his back. Yes, he didn't play brilliantly last season, but he by no means played badly, and his lack of desire to push forward could be attributed to the negative system that Clement employed. I wouldn't want him as a starting right back because I like Christie but I would be perfectly happy to have him as a squad player who could come in and cover four different positions. We can't judge players off the back off a small number of games; whatever happened to that John "Useless" fellow?

Yeah, didn't like him either.

He's very slow, ponderous, and the way he reacted to fans can never be forgiven in my eyes - some people may think that's fine, whatever, I personally don't.

I'd love it if he somehow turned in a world beater, but he even lost his place in the Northern Ireland team after a game at the Euros when they realised the same thing. Legs have gone.

And I will never be pleased a when a player is essentially getting in the way of homegrown youth.

So, just so I know for sure, what did he do to so passionately anger Derby fans last season? Some say he swore at fans? Others say he was being abused so gave a bit back (which is fair enough if the abuse is personal enough, in my opinion)? What did he actually do? Anybody who was there got the answer?

Baird looked awful last season, but so did a lot of people. I've got every confidence that Pearson can get the best out of each and every one of our players, and wouldn't mind seeing him utilised in his role as "organiser" if it means three points at the end of the day. 

47 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

So, just so I know for sure, what did he do to so passionately anger Derby fans last season? Some say he swore at fans? Others say he was being abused so gave a bit back (which is fair enough if the abuse is personal enough, in my opinion)? What did he actually do? Anybody who was there got the answer?

Baird looked awful last season, but so did a lot of people. I've got every confidence that Pearson can get the best out of each and every one of our players, and wouldn't mind seeing him utilised in his role as "organiser" if it means three points at the end of the day. 

What he did - in some game where we weren't playing very well - was to pass the ball to another Derby player, but backwards, or sideways (can't remember which), rather than lump it forward aimlessly. From memory Chris Martin was having one of those games when he lost the ball regularly and no one else seemed to want it either. He was at right back and doing this brought forth great ire from the East Stand experts to which he reacted with a word and a disdainful sweep of the arm to suggest that what the hell else was he supposed to do.

A heinous crime clearly.

He played very well last night. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he featured in the match day squad this season.

4 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

What he did - in some game where we weren't playing very well - was to pass the ball to another Derby player, but backwards, or sideways (can't remember which), rather than lump it forward aimlessly. From memory Chris Martin was having one of those games when he lost the ball regularly and no one else seemed to want it either. He was at right back and doing this brought forth great ire from the East Stand experts to which he reacted with a word and a disdainful sweep of the arm to suggest that what the hell else was he supposed to do.

A heinous crime clearly.

He played very well last night. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he featured in the match day squad this season.

I thought he had a good game last night,did a good job under alot of direct fast running.

I think we will keep him as cover.

I thought he gave the 'V' sign to the fans? From what I remember he always passed it backwards and sideways. He was also very slow.

he didn't do much wrong guess he was solid but he can't bomb up and down the wing or make anything happen. Guess he'll put others under pressure from negative balls so to speak.

I'm willing to give him another chance though as Pearson might play a solid back four and let our front line do the attacking.

Pearce's awesome goal line clearance was a result of Baird's catastrophic pass. Hope he didn't give THAT good an impression. 

1 minute ago, BranstonRam said:

what was he like at Fulham? Last year when I heard he was starting a league game a shudder came over me 

He started 3 times and came off the bench 4 times to muster an astounding 323 minutes of game time. (3.6 games played).

He is an international footballer with a wealth of experience and has good organisational skills.

I remember a few people tutting when Eustace got picked.

Managers love players who do their job and motivate those around them.

6 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He is an international footballer with a wealth of experience and has good organisational skills.

I remember a few people tutting when Eustace got picked.

Managers love players who do their job and motivate those around them.

Passed the ball straight to a Chesterfield striker after receiving it from Roos though. Needs to do his job better than he's ever shown for us, is all I'm saying. I can think of maybe one game that's an exception early last season, think every other time he's been poor. 

3 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Solid, unspectacular player who does a good job - could do well as captain this season because he is a calmer character than Keogh.

Do you honestly think Pearson will make him captain, and therefore play him every week.

6 minutes ago, Grantona said:

Solid, unspectacular player who does a good job - could do well as captain this season because he is a calmer character than Keogh.

Cos that went so well last season.

Think he just might be a bit past it.

For us, impressed Clement enough in preseason.

Fulham I seem to remember just expected a bit more?

NI, starts first game, NI lose, not in the team again.

Might just be a case that his legs won't carry him enough.

As for the episode with our fans, I think he was getting some of the "Gary Teale Love" when we weren't winning at the start of the season. Having heard our fans "encouraging" certain players, I'd not throw him under the bus for it. Shouldn't have done it, but let it go.

I think Baird could be useful next season, especially if Pearson does use the 3-5-2 a bit... he's played in that formation for NI and could realistically cover right-back, centre-back and defensive midfield. It'd be a shame if he took game time off Hanson or (potentially) Rawson though, both of whom deserve chances as squad players - Hanson as the back-up defensive midfielder and right-back and Rawson as the fourth or fifth choice CB.

Archived