Will we sign anybody?

oldtimeram

I am starting to wonder if we will actually sign anyone of significance before the season starts.  We may bring in a youngster or two for the U21s but I am doubting we will sign anyone for the first team.

SDSR, do you have any snippets to share?  I would have also included Mackworth Ram,  but he has left the building ;)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will stand in for MackworthRam.

I can't see us making a signing now until the end of August, I honestly think Pearson wants to see the player in competitive situations.

If we are to wait and miss out on Kodjia, Da Laat, James, Chestee (assuming they are our targets), I'm not sure who we will end up signing.

If we get to August 6th with no fresh injuries, Pearson will have to pick an 18 man squad from 22 first team professionals. Forgetting the few U21's deemed possibilities for the first team, that's at least 4 players that's won't even make our squad.

As has been said numerous times, let's see what Pearson wants to do with squad, and only buy if it's quality. We don't need squad players, we're OK. Those teams buying 5-8 players already just shows they're not happy with what they've got. I am at the minute 

Never thought we would without outgoings. 

Joe Allen from Liverpool to Stoke for 13 Million today is the sort of transfer along with Jordan Ibe  16 Million  and Benteke 30 Million that is systematic of the problem of Football League Clubs like us .

We can't afford anyone and then there is FFP as well. 

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

Never thought we would without outgoings. 

Joe Allen from Liverpool to Stoke for 13 Million today is the sort of transfer along with Jordan Ibe  16 Million  and Benteke 30 Million that is systematic of the problem of Football League Clubs like us .

We can't afford anyone and then there is FFP as well. 

Nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Nonsense.

It's true we aren't willing to sign big anymore without outgoings. 

We have been frightened off and of course there is FFP. 

We have had our fingers bitten and the Derby fans have worried we have bought too much and the squad is too big .

But it's not. 

We will go with what we have IMO with a few outgoings like  Buxton etc 

We can't compete with the Joe Allen 13 Million transfers etc 

That's the consequence of missing out on the Premier League over the last 3 years .

1 minute ago, curtains said:

It's true we aren't willing to sign big anymore without outgoings. 

We have been frightened off and of course there is FFP. 

Or maybe because Pearson thinks the squad is too big as it is?

You completely agreed with my post in the other thread on this subject...

5 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Or maybe because Pearson thinks the squad is too big as it is?

You completely agreed with my post in the other thread on this subject...

What's your point tell me. 

Have I contradicted myself. 

5 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Oh I've got you .

Well that's fine as long as Mel Morris is willing to bankroll the club all the time. 

Mel is a good guy but would he be willing to supplement our losses like GSE did to the tune of 8 Million per annum as well as KEEP supporting 13 Million transfer fees for the likes of Joe Allen .

Stoke have massive Premier League cash and we don't  because of our failure to reach the Premier League  

PS Lets forget the consequences  FFP then if it's not a problem as on the face of it 39 million loss over 3 years is fairly insignificant or significant whichever way you look at it   

23 minutes ago, curtains said:

We can't compete with the Joe Allen 13 Million transfers etc 

That's the consequence of missing out on the Premier League over the last 3 years .

Why do we need to compete with signings like that? The last time I checked we were a top 6 Championship club and Stoke City were an accomplished top half Premier League team. 

All we need to compete with are those around us in this division and if last season is anything to go by then don't be worried by big spenders, it doesn't always come off. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Why do we need to compete with signings like that? The last time I checked we were a top 6 Championship club and Stoke City were an accomplished top half Premier League team. 

All we need to compete with are those around us in this division and if last season is anything to go by then don't be worried by big spenders, it doesn't always come off. 

We can't it's as simple as that really and in a buyers market we will have to sell the likes of Hendrick cheaper because we haven't got the Premier League cash and we have had our fingers burned already with Johnson and Butterfield according to a lot of posters on here  .

Can we afford the Bristol City lad we are supposedly  after though .

I doubt it without significant outgoings. 

After all Mel Morris can only do so much and 13 Million for Joe Allen and 16 Million for Jordon Ibe and 30 Million for Benteke is mad. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I'm glad your happy with us getting left behind in the market while our rivals strengthen. 

Don't quite understand the fixation on the £13m for Joe Allen. Our two record transfers are less than half that ffs, we bought Johnson and Ince combined for less than that figure.

PL clubs pay PL prices. Neither are we supporting PL wages. The club say we aren't in any danger of FFP punishment, and I'm inclined to believe them - it might just be spin, but I'm not in the habit of second guessing those with more access and more know-how. I trust them, because they aren't Fawaz, or the Three Amigos, or Maxwell etc etc.

Let the club get on with it. It's always now now now with some fans. Usually the same fans who then criticise the club for making too many signings or spending too much money. 

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Don't quite understand the fixation in the £13m for Joe Allen. Our two record transfers are less than half that ffs, we bought Johnson and Ince combined for less than that figure.

PL clubs pay PL prices. Neither are we supporting PL wages. The club say we aren't in any danger of FFP punishment, and I'm inclined to believe them - it might just be spin, but I'm not in the habit of second guessing those with more access and more know-how. I trust them, because they aren't Fawaz, or the Three Amigos, or Maxwell etc etc.

Let the club get on with it. It's always now now now with some fans. 

We do let them get on with it and that includes not reaching the Premier League over years and years when the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley have. 

Its their prerogative how they go about it .

Good luck to th Rams this season. 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

We do let them get on with it and that includes not reaching the Premier League over years and years when the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley have. 

Its their prerogative how they go about it .

Good luck to th Rams this season. 

Does Mel actually want to get promotion though? Said last season that it wasn't a priority and no signings this window suggests that too. 

Just now, Simsy said:

I would be surprised if we didn't get another winger.

Ince seems to be doing the no.10 role and wieman looks like he may get more of a chance in his natural position up top too.

So that only leaves Russell and Camara.

Don't forget Mr Blackman, he looked decent out on the right at the weekend.

Archived