Fulhams ram raid

satty atwal

1 minute ago, curtains said:

That's fair enough but it's still the case that Martin can only play in a 4-3-3. 

Do you think Pearson plays 4-3-3. 

You don't know that Martin can only play in a 4-3-3 and Hendrick had mainly played in a 4-3-3 with us. 

Plus you don't know what Pearson will play. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get where this 'Martin can only play in a 433' comes from. We've only ever played him in a 433, that doesn't mean he can't play in a two. He can hold the ball up and link up play. He'll still do that if he on a top two, on his own or with 8 up front. He'll have more players closer to him in a 442, which would mean hell play better if anything. It's its up to Pearson whether he wants a striker wth martins qualities 

and the comments of 'we revert to 433 to accommodate martin' have again nothing in it. We keep on exerting to 433 because half our team can't play anything else. We look lost when we've tried anything else and the whole team doesn't perform. Not just Martin, it's not Chris's fault if our midfield can't find players or pass when not in a 3 man midfield, although that might and hopefully will change under Pearson.

one last comment. The 433 hasn't caused proverbial failure. Each of the last three seasons we've missed by a hair. Not languishing in midtable or just above the relegation zone. We've been one of the best teams in the country outside of the premier league. The shift to the 433 brought in by Maclaren created proverbial success. Do you think the performance against hull at home would have been completely different if we played 442? Yes we need something slightly new. We've been missing a slight ingredient to finish the job, but that doesn't mean 433 has been a failure.

now I'm all for a change if Pearson wants it. I'll be gutted if we sell Martin; he receives a lot of unfair treatment just like ince does because he isn't quick and doesn't run around or smile a lot. But if Pearson wants to sell him. It will be based on that he has no need for a holdup striker. Not because 'he's not good enough' or 'he's not quick' or 'he's lazy' or 'We've not been promoted with him' nonsense.

I largely expect us to play anything but 433. I'm not desperate for us to switch formation and id be happy for us to keep playing it if that's what Pearson wants. But this nonsense 'of 433 has failed, and our best striker in the last decade can only play in a 433' needs to stop

1 minute ago, Lord_Ram said:

Don't get where this 'Martin can only play in a 433' comes from. We've only ever played him in a 433, that doesn't mean he can't play in a two. He can hold the ball up and link up play. He'll still do that if he on a top two, on his own or with 8 up front. He'll have more players closer to him in a 442, which would mean hell play better if anything. It's its up to Pearson whether he wants a striker wth martins qualities 

and the comments of 'we revert to 433 to accommodate martin' have again nothing in it. We keep on exerting to 433 because half our team can't play anything else. We look lost when we've tried anything else and the whole team doesn't perform. Not just Martin, it's not Chris's fault if our midfield can't find players or pass when not in a 3 man midfield, although that might and hopefully will change under Pearson.

one last comment. The 433 hasn't caused proverbial failure. Each of the last three seasons we've missed by a hair. Not languishing in midtable or just above the relegation zone. We've been one of the best teams in the country outside of the premier league. The shift to the 433 brought in by Maclaren created proverbial success. Do you think the performance against hull at home would have been completely different if we played 442? Yes we need something slightly new. We've been missing a slight ingredient to finish the job, but that doesn't mean 433 has been a failure.

now I'm all for a change if Pearson wants it. I'll be gutted if we sell Martin; he receives a lot of unfair treatment just like ince does because he isn't quick and doesn't run around or smile a lot. But if Pearson wants to sell him. It will be based on that he has no need for a holdup striker. Not because 'he's not good enough' or 'he's not quick' or 'he's lazy' or 'We've not been promoted with him' nonsense.

I largely expect us to play anything but 433. I'm not desperate for us to switch formation and id be happy for us to keep playing it if that's what Pearson wants. But this nonsense 'of 433 has failed, and our best striker in the last decade can only play in a 433' needs to stop

Thank you for saving my sanity.

I dont believe this will come off, not all 3 to Fulham.

Let's entertain the idea for a minute though. We sell those three for a good amount of money (I assume)

we then buy James Chester at CB, a highly rated striker such as Kodjia, and have money left to buy another big signing (Russell replaced by Camara in suspected 442/4411)

I'm aware this has elements of Football Manager/FIFA career mode, but would anyone be happy with this outcome?

18 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Let's entertain the idea for a minute though. We sell those three for a good amount of money (I assume)

we then buy James Chester at CB, a highly rated striker such as Kodjia, and have money left to buy another big signing (Russell replaced by Camara in suspected 442/4411)

I'm aware this has elements of Football Manager/FIFA career mode, but would anyone be happy with this outcome?

I think that believing martin+keogh+Russell minus kodjia minus Chester will give us a big positive amount left over is optimistic. 

I also think that it's a bit late to be contemplating a material change to our style this season. When pearson came in he talked about "tweaks". Selling 2 of the spine of the team and reconfiguring doesn't sound like just a tweak.

21 minutes ago, r4derby said:

I would replace keogh yes for chester. Wouldn't swap martin for any striker in this division including kodija. Wouldn't entertain any bid below 7m for russell but if that's received then is take the cash and go for brady. So theoretically keogh russell out for say 12m and chester and brady in. Wouldnt let russell go though without brady in as he the only player out wide that springs to mind that id have over johnny.

12 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

I would replace keogh yes for chester. Wouldn't swap martin for any striker in this division including kodija. Wouldn't entertain any bid below 7m for russell but if that's received then is take the cash and go for brady. So theoretically keogh russell out for say 12m and chester and brady in. Wouldnt let russell go though without brady in as he the only player out wide that springs to mind that id have over johnny.

I don't think it's a case of  replacing Keogh with Chester.

We were lucky last year that Keogh and Shackell had so few injuries.

You need three good central defenders to provide cover and the flexibility of 3-5-2.

Russell could go for the right money.

Martin should stay only if he is committed to the cause and is given the right players around him.

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I don't think it's a case of  replacing Keogh with Chester.

We were lucky last year that Keogh and Shackell had so few injuries.

You need three good central defenders to provide cover and the flexibility of 3-5-2.

Russell could go for the right money.

Martin should stay only if he is committed to the cause and is given the right players around him.

We have four central defenders at mo in shacks keogh rawson pearce.... with baird and fozzy who can play there too.... this is even after bucko is sold

1 hour ago, satty atwal said:

We have four central defenders at mo in shacks keogh rawson pearce.... with baird and fozzy who can play there too.... this is even after bucko is sold

Sure- but of Pearce, Rawson, Forsyth and Baird, how many would get in a side with ambitiond of reaching the top three?

We need quality not quantity.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Sure- but of Pearce, Rawson, Forsyth and Baird, how many would get in a side with ambitiond of reaching the top three?

We need quality not quantity.

Pearce needs a chance... played in the prem.... rawson hasnt even played for us yet.... could be the next gem from the academy.... other two yes granted but would be in an emergency only

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I think that believing martin+keogh+Russell minus kodjia minus Chester will give us a big positive amount left over is optimistic. 

I also think that it's a bit late to be contemplating a material change to our style this season. When pearson came in he talked about "tweaks". Selling 2 of the spine of the team and reconfiguring doesn't sound like just a tweak.

But then you're assuming we have no money in the pot before the sale of those 3. Mel has money, and I reckon the finances as they are mean we could buy a big signing should we need to without selling. Plus, Martin worth a lot as a goal scorer, even more than Kodjia if a team really wants him.

Agree with you though, I don't think we should sell them. I like our players. Tweaking is fine by me (Oi Oi) just asking the question

Hmm interesting this one, would any of those three fancy that move, I doubt it.

but I did not realise Keogh was in the last year of his contract and if we could have someone of equal ability and character to replace him then I would sell if the money is good enough because it is still a buisness and we probably are at a FFP level where we have to careful, signing a new contract extension would help mind.

Keogh and Martin I wouldn't sell unless a ridiculous offer came in! Get Keogh a new contract straight away, with Russell I do like him as a player because he brings energy but for a decent price I think he is replaceable! 

Keogh - 6m+ (covers Chester hopefully and as he is in the last year of his contract)

Russell - I would take anything 4m+

Martin - needs to be 12m+ to even consider it! 

Archived