James Chester - Signed for Villa

North_Stand_Ram

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

I haven't watched his Rotherham games but I've heard reports from Rotherham fans.

Seen him loads thought in Derby U 21 games and nothing stands out yet with him.  

Hes not very mobile in my eyes.  

Looks a bit cumbersome . 

Passing needs improving as does his positional play. 

Hes simply not ready yet for our first team week in week out for a promotion push. 

Buxton is so much better at the moment .

Not really bothered about u21 games, doesn't prove much either way to me. Passing and position are minor gripes for a young inexperienced CB. Buxton has similar shortcomings (not passing obviously but lack of pace) yet everyone loves him. Rawson will only improve, especially under someone like NP. Rawson has shown ability at Champ level already, as he matures with good coaching I see no reason not to at least give him some game time in games we have a good lead to keep Shacks and Keogh fit.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Disagree. Rawson is better cover than Buxton and Pearce and he's far younger. We need to think about the future too and how he still has some developing to do and there's no reason for him not to become a strong centre half in the first team. He's quick powerful a good header of the ball. 

All down to opinions and I guess I haven't seen a great deal of him to judge him. How many games of his have you seen? 

Not quite sure how u can state that Rawson is better cover than both Pearce and Buxton, what has he done in his short career to date to show that.

although it is only pre season, Pearson musnt  feel rawson is ready for the first team squad if he wasn't included in the squad for Saturday's game, instead opting to give Pearce 90 mins.

3 minutes ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

All down to opinions and I guess I haven't seen a great deal of him to judge him. How many games of his have you seen? 

Not quite sure how u can state that Rawson is better cover than both Pearce and Buxton, what has he done in his short career to date to show that.

although it is only pre season, Pearson musnt  feel rawson is ready for the first team squad if he wasn't included in the squad for Saturday's game, instead opting to give Pearce 90 mins.

Rawson played at Mickleover at the back with  Alex Cover in the 1-1 draw. 

Cover gave the penalty away. 

Mickleover came on very strong near the end and could have won the game .

Pearce is perfectly adequate. He captained Reading, has been promoted, has played international football. Ability wise, he's got a much better pedigree than Buxton. If Rawson comes along and proves he is even better than that, then brilliant. But I'm certainly not concerned by our centre backs.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Only because Warnock didn't play him as he didn't see him to good enough for the relegation battle. There was no point in keeping him on loan there when he wasn't playing. I have no doubt that Rawson will be a good player in the future but it's not fair on the lad if we get an injury and we are all expecting him to be the next Maldini because it won't happen. He is only going to get better if he plays consistently which he won't here. Personally think we should loan him out for the first half of the season to let him have more experience, Burton would be ideal because he'd be easily able to commute to play in the under 21 premier league games.

Didn't he have to miss a game and then Warnock stuck with the same team?

2 minutes ago, Dcfcrams89 said:

It is. I've seen him play in person quite a few times - for the u21s - I'm not saying he's spectacular but from what I've seen in person his weakness is a tactical maturity and a confidence that comes with more senior games playing in a system. The u21s had a stingy defence (Rawson/stabana) and a prolific scorer and attacking workhorse (Zanzala) Pearce and Buxton have more experience but they are slow and Rawson is better on the ball too. You Don't see attackers burn Rawson. Regardless of what we say on here I'll wager that Rawson is higher on the pecking order based on age and potential alone. 

As to your other point, there's no hurry to play Rawson, and I think Pearson is looking to bring in Chester? - a centre half who can have an impact offensively on set pieces too. I wouldn't read too much into him not putting Rawson out there v Walsall. With Pearce, clement did the same last press and Pearce never really played again if memory serves. Pearce needs to be shop windowed a bit so we can extract a little value. 

43 minutes ago, curtains said:

I haven't watched his Rotherham games but I've heard reports from Rotherham fans.

Seen him loads thought in Derby U 21 games and nothing stands out yet with him.  

Hes not very mobile in my eyes.  

Looks a bit cumbersome . 

Passing needs improving as does his positional play. 

Hes simply not ready yet for our first team week in week out for a promotion push. 

Buxton is so much better at the moment .

Is that the same Rotherham fans that really wanted to sign him permanently?

In the Benfica match Rawson looked like the experienced centre half next to Buxton and was the more accomplished looking of the 2.

I admit I haven't seen much of Rawson but when I have seen him play I have been rather impressed.

Far too soon to say he isn't going to be good enough.

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

He was sent back I believe by Warnock. 

Slight difference in interpretation there. 

Nope he was recalled.

Rotherham's club website http://www.themillers.co.uk/news/article/rotherham-united-farrend-rawson-2967917.aspx

Farrend Rawson has been recalled by Derby County...

Farrend Rawson has been recalled from his loan spell by parent club Derby County.

The defender has made 16 appearances for the Millers this season, scoring two goals.

The 19-year-old was in his second spell with the club after a previous loan stint last season.

Everyone at Rotherham United would like to thank Farrend for his efforts whilst with the club and we wish him well for the future.

14 minutes ago, curtains said:

He was sent back I believe by Warnock. 

Slight difference in interpretation there. 

I just checked on Rotherham's website. Sorry, Curtains, but you are mistaken. Definitely recalled by Derby. You are probably thinking of Roos, not Rawson.

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

Right but my memory of this was Warnock sent him back. 

Of course he was recalled if they didn't want him to stay. 

Kwame Thomas was the same. 

Derby always say that as do other clubs because of player sensativity 

Why upset the player. 

6 minutes ago, emjlc02 said:

Didn't we bring Rawson back as he wasn't playing so not gaining anything from the loan? 

That's correct, I read some Rotherham fans views at the time they said he was class at first then picked up an injury and didn't look the same after, Warnock then favoured someone else so we recalled him. A lot of the comments said they wanted to see him stay though.

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

I just checked on Rotherham's website. Sorry, Curtains, but you are mistaken. Definitely recalled by Derby. You are probably thinking of Roos, not Rawson.

Maybe but clubs always are diplomatic on this due to not wanting to create waves etc but on Rawson he's a CB learning his trade just that really  

Good luck to the lad  

1 hour ago, AshfieldRam said:

James Chester would walk into our team in my opinion. Don't see why West Brom would get rid, especially for less than they paid for him. 

He only played a few games for them last season, despite the £8million price tag. 

He may want out now he knows that his mentor Pearson wants him to help spearhead our drive for promotion.

Player power and all that.

If we do get him, it's also comforting to know that Derby are not the only ones to pay big bananas for a player and then not play him regularly. 

2 hours ago, AshfieldRam said:

James Chester would walk into our team in my opinion. Don't see why West Brom would get rid, especially for less than they paid for him. 

just spend some time with a few West Brom boys, he never gets a game at CB there and is really unhappy.

Archived