By Xmas, will our style of play be like that of Clough, Maclaren, Clement or Wassall?

Rampage

'The Derby Way'. Will our style of play by Xmas be anything like that of Clough, Maclaren, Clement or Wassall? Has Pearson got his own style of play and does it bear any resemblance to that of our four previous managers? Should be interesting to see it unfold. What do you think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be like none of the above.

We will, over the season, become tough to beat and will not be allowed to slacken during 90 mins.

I think there will be some personnel changes simply because as good as the individual parts may be, they have proven over the past few seasons as a team they lack consistency.

I trust Nigel to suss the way forward out very quickly.

The only one of the 4 I can recall having an idiosyncratic style was maclaren during his first year. The rest seemed to try a variety of approaches. 

I think the mood music listening to nigel pearsons post benfica interview is that we will get some changes in terms of pace, endeavour and  resilience. Pretty much as @Rammeisterpredicts. Obviously no timeframe as to how long it will take to implement nigels ideas.

Nigel will not want to be out of the top six after ten games, that's for sure.Maybe we will be seeing some dour games against our main rivals. Would you settle now for a 0-0 against Brighton? I would not. However, we cannot afford to lose that game.

10 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Nigel will not want to be out of the top six after ten games, that's for sure.Maybe we will be seeing some dour games against our main rivals. Would you settle now for a 0-0 against Brighton? I would not. However, we cannot afford to lose that game.

We've no idea at this stage what games we can afford to lose or not, thats generally something you only really know through hindsight. 

Not only is this the very first game of the season, but we've no idea if it's against a promotion rival or not. Brighton are a good side that did well last season but we know better than many (due to our time in this league) that there is no certainty of maintaining that level.

I don't like the idea of settling for a result pre-game, either. Treat every game as a separate entity, if you lose or draw but in hindsight it didn't matter, fair enough, but look to win always. Settling for a result is doing a disservice to our quality.

17 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Think we might see more 1-0s at least in the early stages of the season. 

I'd never worry about where the points come from. 

Target putting 25 wins on the board as fast as possible. They can come anywhere and against anyone. If we lose 8 games all against our top rivals then so be it. 

Just got to have the mentality and management to ride the knocks, keep the level consistently high, don't focus on specific games and just keep rolling with 25 wins as the target. 

Only play for a draw from losing situations for us in this division imo. 

I don't think there is any rebuilding to be done, more in the road of tweaking the team and getting the players to gel.  All we should be bothered about is consistency, 1-0 win most weeks will do................. 

If teams don't come and put 10 men behind the ball we'll be fine. Teams will do that though and we've struggled for many seasons against it. Still yet to master how to beat these teams.

It was the same with England and Arsenal moan about it.. Boro also mentioned teams did it against them and they struggled. We're in for one hard season until we find a plan to beat this system maybe we should put 11 men behind the ball and get a draw !?

You have to read something into how we started v Benfica. Generally you'd think a manager will play his preferred formation first time out: 3-5-2? if that's the case, Pearson wants attacking football. He appears to like 3 - 4 forwards at home while opting for a more conservative counter approach away. At Leicester in the season before that's what he appeared to do pre Ranieri and there's the following formations in the PL (more than any other manager). This could give us some clues:

The City boss did away with the three centre-backs he had used for the previous five league games for the victory over West Ham, reverting to four at the back in a 4-2-3-1.The shift in systems worked well at the King Power Stadium, as Riyad Mahrez replaced the injured Matt Upson and joined David Nugent and Jamie Vardy in a front three behind striker Leonardo Ulloa.

Pearson : "Playing the way that we did, with a 4-2-3-1, which we've played numerous times this season, we felt that was the best way of being more dominant with the ball, bearing in mind West Ham play a 4-3-3, so they play with one striker a lot.

"We played the 3-4-3 as a counter-attacking side and were very successful with it during games, but not necessarily successful with the results. But we caused people problems.

"I thought we might have surprised a few people as well and sometimes surprise is not a bad card to play. I may well change it for the next game bearing in mind the team we are playing, I might go 4-4-2."

See more Pearson style here : 

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/formations-don-t-win-games-players-says-leicester/story-26302861-detail/story.html

Then this assssment contrasting Ranieri : "Under Nigel Pearson last season, Leicester looked slightly chaotic when defending and at times even devoid of a structure." 

Not sure how fair this summary was but post title it was said in relation to how Ranieri bought Sacchi like calm to the Huth-Morgan defence.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Do you?.

I just read into it that we were making do, because 3/4 of our first team defence were unavailable.

Perhaps. But we don't play any game to make do. Im not sure it's our best formation but wouldn't surprise me to see a back 3 of Keogh shacks and Fozzy with Christie and Olsson the wide men in a 5 man midfield. 

37 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Perhaps. But we don't play any game to make do. Im not sure it's our best formation but wouldn't surprise me to see a back 3 of Keogh shacks and Fozzy with Christie and Olsson the wide men in a 5 man midfield. 

I would read more into the fact that 3 at the back lasted around 25 mins until we changed it to 4-3-3

We play like we did against Hull in the 2nd leg. If we do that then promotion is assured. 

All the managers mentioned have there positives and negatives like we all do. 

I respect McClaren, Clough and Wassall for the jobs they did. 

In an ideal world you'd like the direct, high tempo approach of 1st season McClaren, coupled with the defensive solidity of early season Clement.  However you can't really have both as they're both extremes, therefore a nice middle ground would be nice, but that may take time to get right.  Trying to win every game, with a good tempo and 100% commitment will do for me. 

Archived