Universal Income

Stive Pesley

22 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I struggle to see full automation. Everything we have at work that is automated has a team of people checking it is working properly and then fixing it when it goes wrong :lol:

I think the philosopher's stone is AI. Get a computer that can do elementary independent thinking and the sky is the limit.

The first ones will be ZX81s.

Eventually they'll be PS4s. 

Then they'll start developing themselves - and that's the next quantum leap in human evolution. If we've not nuked ourselves out of existence, or made the planet unfit for life.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Develop an 'auto grid' where a massive grid is under the road and a computer controls the cars, when you go off grid manual control returns.

The cars could run on 'tracks' and also be really long so multiple people could ride on the same unit. They could go really fast as nothing else would be in the way. It would be like a mass transport network that would mean the need for polluting cars would be hugely reduced. It should be made free/cheap to use so the nation would be inter-connected for everyone. We could call it trains.

18 hours ago, StivePesley said:

That's before you even get onto the ethics of how you program them to crash in the event of an unavoidable accident. Do you program them to kill the passengers or the pedestrians?

My son's Computer Science A level course discussed this last week:

The driverless car is programmed to protect the occupants of the car - it identifies a situation where it is about to collide with an out of control lorry that would almost certainly result in the death of its passengers - however, it could swerve off the road to avoid the lorry, but that would result in it running into a group of schoolkids on the pavement - what does it do? - they couldn't agree on a definitive answer because they couldn't quantify the value of the lives involved nor work out how the car would be able to determine the 'value' of the people in the car - what, for example, if the car contained a mother with her newly-born twins and the person on the pavement was holding a gun (or vice-versa)?

Driverless cars only work within the parameters of their programming - and that will typically be scuppered by random events (such as cars driven by people) - a completely driverless road system would be great, but the transition where both driven and driverless cars co-exist is a scary thought

14 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Then they'll start developing themselves - and that's the next quantum leap in human evolution.

Ah the technological singularity! A lot of people are utterly convinced that this will happen. Me, I'm still undecided. I think we have the key to stop it happening, but that doesn't mean we will use it.

One thing is for sure, when we are no longer the most intelligent species on the planet we're screwed

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Hashtags, reality tv, Hosting the Olympics at cost of billions when our key services are understaffed and underfunded, Rylan, McDonalds, Politicians, people phoning 999 to say that their telly is on the blink and STILL aren't immediately removed from society, exhausting fossil fuels, concreting the earth, once flourishing oceans filled with chemicals, Keith lemon, Jeremy Clarkson, prisons full because people are so unbelievably stupid or evil, a pesticide and chemical riddled food chain, greed, forest supporters, Simon Cowell and spin offs producing incessant manufactured and heavily marketed pop rubbish that for some reason people buy, BBC Radio 1, people who drink carling, 70mph speed limits on a 4 lane motorway, VAT, big game hunters, Stan collymore, Chief execs of public funded charities on about 100k a year with company car whilst frontline workers get minimum wage and an Easter egg every year as a bonus, Freddie Flintoff.

Just a few reasons why humans will never be the most intelligent species on the planet.

The list is endless.

• 1 month later...

Another interesting article on Universal Income today in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/feb/26/rutger-bregman-utopia-for-realists-interview-universal-basic-income

“I think the big problem on the left,” says Bregman, “is that it only knows what it’s against. So it’s against austerity, against the establishment, against homophobia, against racism. I’m not saying I’m not against those things, but I think you should be for something. You need to have a new vision of where you want to go.”

Bregman has a vision. And it’s a pretty clear one. But, wait a second. Universal benefit, a 15-hour working week, open borders, really? How?

“I’ve heard for three years that many of my ideas are unrealistic and unreasonable and that we can’t afford them,” he says, by way of preamble to a more comprehensive reply. “And the simple answer is ‘Oh, you want to stick to the status quo? How’s that been working out?’”

• 8 months later...

An interesting report from the midst of the Finnish experiment

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/31/finland-universal-basic-income

What this underlines is how debased Britain’s welfare politics have become compared with much of the rest of Europe. Blame Tory austerity, or New Labour’s workfare, or Thatcherism’s trite exhortations to get on your bike – but we have ended up with a system shot through by two toxic beliefs.

One, that poverty is the product of personal moral failure. For the former chancellor George Osborne, it was about skivers v strivers. For IDS, poverty was the rotten fruit of broken families, addiction or debt. Neither man, nor the rest of their party, can accept what their rightwing counterparts in Finland do: that poverty is no more than a lack of money.

What flows from that is the second bogus British belief: the idea that social security isn’t a safety net for all, but a cash-starved and demoralised triage system for the lazy and feckless right at the bottom.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For those still interested - this article has some good theories on Land Value Tax funding UBI - and before anyone rolls their eyes, it's not especially "leftie" or wealth-envious - she's actually proposing a theory that makes LVT more attractive to the rich so that they stop sitting on land/property with no incentive to develop or let. That has to be a good thing for everyone

https://medium.com/@KatyPreen/funding-ubi-with-a-tax-on-land-88533bd5bc78

18 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

For those still interested - this article has some good theories on Land Value Tax funding UBI - and before anyone rolls their eyes, it's not especially "leftie" or wealth-envious - she's actually proposing a theory that makes LVT more attractive to the rich so that they stop sitting on land/property with no incentive to develop or let. That has to be a good thing for everyone

https://medium.com/@KatyPreen/funding-ubi-with-a-tax-on-land-88533bd5bc78

It's not a leftie concept, the problem arises when politicians accept a wedge to stop this passing, house prices deflating will probably wouldn't be an issue for much longer now anyway.

23 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

the problem arises when politicians accept a wedge to stop this passing

True

Why do we put up with this under the auspices of "lobbying"?

Saw this yesterday and it's blatant bribery!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mp-philip-davies-betting-machines-gambling-companies-commons-gifts-lobbying-bookmakers-a8058706.html

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

True

Why do we put up with this under the auspices of "lobbying"?

Saw this yesterday and it's blatant bribery!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mp-philip-davies-betting-machines-gambling-companies-commons-gifts-lobbying-bookmakers-a8058706.html

What! Unscrupulous and corrupt politicians. Whatever's next? Over seas accounts to avoided paying taxes on their second and third jobs they're doing, instead of  concentrating on the one the country pays them to do.

Archived