Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StivePesley

Universal Income

49 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Yeah interesting, but I'd argue he's not really though his arguments through and the dig at the Labour Party towards the end belies his true motivation in rubbishing the idea.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread - UBI is not really a left-wing idea, and if anything it's classic free-market thinking that the right (on paper) should be quite happy with. Everyone gets the same, and we all stand on our own two feet thereafter. The left should be more scared of it than the right because it becomes much harder to be compassionate to those who struggle when there is no argument that they've been let down by the government.

Therefore I'm sceptical of any resistance to it from the right because it betrays their true fear - which is that it might actually narrow the poverty gap - leaving poor people (ugh) encroaching on their turf.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just looking forward to the days when everything is automated. Everything will be free cos no one needs to be paid. Everyone wil be equal and everyone will have unlimited leisure time. The arts will explode and everyday will just be a continuous stream of music, film, tv, games, sport (playing and watching), theatre, drinking. Don't fear the reaper.

StivePesley likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 07/01/2017 at 23:19, ariotofmyown said:

I'm just looking forward to the days when everything is automated. Everything will be free cos no one needs to be paid. Everyone wil be equal and everyone will have unlimited leisure time. The arts will explode and everyday will just be a continuous stream of music, film, tv, games, sport (playing and watching), theatre, drinking. Don't fear the reaper.

Fully Automated Luxury Communism is the name some of the left are calling this concept. If it works out it'll be a creative enlightenment period. Problem is the people who benefit from capitalism would do all they can (with all their money / influence) to stop this from happening. Their fortunes are built on poor people living desperately uncertain times, willing to work for as little as possible.

ariotofmyown, GboroRam and LesterRam like this

Share this post


Link to post

I struggle to see full automation. Everything we have at work that is automated has a team of people checking it is working properly and then fixing it when it goes wrong :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I struggle to see full automation. Everything we have at work that is automated has a team of people checking it is working properly and then fixing it when it goes wrong :lol:

its like those self service counters at your local Tesco, the frigging thing fails to register the barcode 8 out of 10 times, I needed input because under strict new laws you need to be 18 to buy a loaf of bread, obviously a fault but still had to wait five minutes for a woman that was buzzing around like a blue arsed fly trying to keep up to clear the error :lol:

automation my arse, next they will be bringing out driverless cars :ph34r:

ariotofmyown likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, LesterRam said:

automation my arse, next they will be bringing out driverless cars :ph34r:

LOL - don't get me started on driverless cars!

Driverless cars will lead to reckless driving from everyone else. If you know a car is programmed to stop if you pull out, you're going to pull out aren't you

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

LOL - don't get me started on driverless cars!

Driverless cars will lead to reckless driving from everyone else. If you know a car is programmed to stop if you pull out, you're going to pull out aren't you

what happens in say the M25 around tilbury docks, my sat nav goes awol under all those tunnels, I had the same discussion with er indoors about other peoples reckless driving and we both agreed its not going to work is it.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

what happens in say the M25 around tilbury docks, my sat nav goes awol under all those tunnels, I had the same discussion with er indoors about other peoples reckless driving and we both agreed its not going to work is it.

That's before you even get onto the ethics of how you program them to crash in the event of an unavoidable accident. Do you program them to kill the passengers or the pedestrians?

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

LOL - don't get me started on driverless cars!

Driverless cars will lead to reckless driving from everyone else. If you know a car is programmed to stop if you pull out, you're going to pull out aren't you

The transition to driverless cars does seem to be problematic, for exactly the reason you've said.  However apparently driverless cars are inevitable!  They will have their benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Highgate said:

The transition to driverless cars does seem to be problematic, for exactly the reason you've said.  However apparently driverless cars are inevitable!  They will have their benefits.

Develop an 'auto grid' where a massive grid is under the road and a computer controls the cars, when you go off grid manual control returns.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community.


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0