Rio Olympics

Curtains

Andy Murray through to the semis - pushed all the way by Steve Johnson who took him to a tie-breaker in the third set after Murray won the first set 6-0.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a golfer/golf watcher, I think the R&A and USGA have made a mistake in not making the Olympic's an amateurs only event.

The Olympic's should be the pinnacle of achievement in your chosen sport, not way down your list of priorities after 4 majors, Fed Ex cup, and hoovering up millions just for taking part, as seen by the poor take up.

A great opportunity to keep young golfers from turning pro too early has been missed, once a top amateur has played in the Open, US Open or Masters by way of winning one of the amateur classics, they're is very little to keep them in the amateur game, a four year Olympic cycle would be very welcome in developing the golfers of the future.

There's something rather sickening about seeing multi-millionaires arriving to compete in the games by private jet, if they can be bothered, all to expand a games popularity worldwide to a audience it wouldn't otherwise reach.

39 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

As a golfer/golf watcher, I think the R&A and USGA have made a mistake in not making the Olympic's an amateurs only event.

The Olympic's should be the pinnacle of achievement in your chosen sport, not way down your list of priorities after 4 majors, Fed Ex cup, and hoovering up millions just for taking part, as seen by the poor take up.

A great opportunity to keep young golfers from turning pro too early has been missed, once a top amateur has played in the Open, US Open or Masters by way of winning one of the amateur classics, they're is very little to keep them in the amateur game, a four year Olympic cycle would be very welcome in developing the golfers of the future.

There's something rather sickening about seeing multi-millionaires arriving to compete in the games by private jet, if they can be bothered, all to expand a games popularity worldwide to a audience it wouldn't otherwise reach.

Agree wholeheartedly reveldevil ( and it's the Olympics by the way, not Olympic's). I don't think golf should be an Olympic sport in the current format but then I'm a track and field fan, which is the mainstay of the Olympics for me. 

31 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Agree wholeheartedly reveldevil ( and it's the Olympics by the way, not Olympic's). I don't think golf should be an Olympic sport in the current format but then I'm a track and field fan, which is the mainstay of the Olympics for me. 

If greengrocers apostrophe's were an Olympic sport, I'd be in with a shout!

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Indeed, or having them make up an excuse and not bother their a*** to compete at all. 

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

There should be someone in the velodrome singing we win when we want, we win when we want, we're G.B cycling we win when we want.

(oh hope my apostrophe in the right place?)

What a battle that race was .

Needed a World Record 

Fantastic team performance - and in the process, Sir Bradley becomes Britain's most successful ever Olympian.

What a guy, what a team.

Best Olympian?

Be really good at several events (Jess Ennis, gymnasts eg) and come back with one medal. 

Be really good at one event (swimmers, cyclists eg) and win several medals. 

The latter is not the best imo just because they've got more ribbons. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Best Olympian?

Be really good at several events (Jess Ennis, gymnasts eg) and come back with one medal. 

Actually I think in this case you are wrong. Redgrave won 5 consecutive golds over 5 Olympics. That's 16/17 years as the very best in the world. Astonishing.

Wiggins similar, first Olympic medal at 20. He's now 36. At the top of his game for 16/17 years too. But not only that with wiggins. He won a four week endurance race riding 6 or more hours a day. Then just 10 days later won Olympic gold. Amazing.

Wiggins beats Redgrave for me not only for th e back to back tour de France and Olympic titles, but the fact that he has the range of athleticism to win that endurance marathon, and then win gold in team sprint. To have that range from sprint to endurance is incredible.

I'd like to "big up" Bryony Page the silver medalist in the trampoline event. We'd never won a medal at this before and her performance was magnificent. I hope she gets the reward and recognition she deserves ie endorsements/sponsorship so she can try and go one better at the next games. 

Bravo Bryony. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Best Olympian?

Wiggins has been the worlds best at the Tour de France and the worlds best at a one off time trial in the same week!

It is always nice to see that you don't have to have come from a privileged background like a lot of the olympic team including most of the rowers have to make it to the top of your sport.

Allez Wiggo...the best ever.

38 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'd like to "big up" Bryony Page the silver medalist in the trampoline event. We'd never won a medal at this before and her performance was magnificent. I hope she gets the reward and recognition she deserves ie endorsements/sponsorship so she can try and go one better at the next games. 

Bravo Bryony. 

Indeed.

The look on her face was an utter delight.

Archived