Curtains

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, curtains said:

GBR get Gold in Men's team sprint in the Velodrome against NZ 

Wow we are good at cycling. 

Kenny , Skinner and Hein 

Yep just wow, even bigger WOW was margin of leads in both team pursuit qualifiers, different league!

Right Rugby it is, time to crack another tin of cider, working up a sweat watching :lol:

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Our lot are a shambles. Sh1ttng themselves. Embarassing.

Embarrassing is not being able to spell 'embarrassing'

Just now, curtains said:

Congratulations to Fiji on the Gold in Rugby Sevens they are some team  but well done GBR on Silver. 

Can't begrudge them their first Olympic medal of any description ever.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

Can't begrudge them their first Olympic medal of any description ever.

It was men against boys. At least we made a game of it second half. In the long run I guess we need some centres and flankers not just 11 wingers and a scrum half.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

It was men against boys. At least we made a game of it second half. In the long run I guess we need some centres and flankers not just 11 wingers and a scrum half.

I can't say I really understand Sevens at the best of times, but mobile 14 stone players are not going to beat equally mobile 20 stone players - well, not often. I remember the impact Vi'aiga Tuigamala had on Rugby League when he joined Wigan - it was a different game when a bloke could score a try with four opponents hanging off him.

13 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I have a question from my little one...

How come boxers have to be amateur but golfers, tennis players and such are professional?

Yeah I know, I couldn't answer!!

Because boxing has been in the Olympics for decades, back when there are a bigger distinction between amateur and professional sport. Tennis and Golf are recent additions so professionals are allowed.

Remember that professionals were banned from athletics in the past, Probably the greatest athlete of all time Paavo Nurmi was banned from the 1932 Olympics for receiving 'excessive travelling expenses' on a tour of the USA and Harold Abrahams (Chariots of Fire) coach Sam Mussabini wasn't officially recognised and had only public access in the stadium.

Finally, tell him/her to get to bed. 

Also, not true.

There are - or rather were - professional boxers competing at the Rio Olympics (all were eliminated early in the competition), so you can tell him that know-it-alls get their come-uppance.

7 hours ago, sage said:

Because boxing has been in the Olympics for decades, back when there are a bigger distinction between amateur and professional sport. Tennis and Golf are recent additions so professionals are allowed.

Remember that professionals were banned from athletics in the past, Probably the greatest athlete of all time Paavo Nurmi was banned from the 1932 Olympics for receiving 'excessive travelling expenses' on a tour of the USA and Harold Abrahams (Chariots of Fire) coach Sam Mussabini wasn't officially recognised and had only public access in the stadium.

Finally, tell him/her to get to bed. 

Thanks for the insight, yeah he was in bed 8.30pm sharp

10 hours ago, eddie said:

Also, not true.

There are - or rather were - professional boxers competing at the Rio Olympics (all were eliminated early in the competition), so you can tell him that know-it-alls get their come-uppance.

There were a few new professionals this time that have to follow a programme of events. Though it may be  free for all at the next Olympics.

15 hours ago, sage said:

I'm not a fan of egg-chasing at the best of times but I really enjoyed the Sevens, really good competition.  I'd prefer to watch 5/7-a-side footy at this sort of thing, a lot of the games so far have been pretty dull...

Archived