Nick Powell - Confirmed to Wigan

Arsene Titman

On Footy Mad website today

"Rams interested in Man United midfielder

By transferam
Updated Sunday, 10th July 2016
Views: 2084

Derby County RSS Feed

A young prospect released by Manchester United is taking the eye of Nigel Pearson

According to reports Derby County lead the chase for talented former Manchester United youth player Nick Powell.

The 22 year-old has just been released by United and may be the first signing for Nigel Pearson.

Powell was released by United at the end of June this year after playing three games for the United first team and scoring one goal. He joined the Red Devils from Crewe Alexandra in 2012 for a reported fee thought to be near £6m in add-ons and appearances.

Powell however found it increasingly difficult to make it into the United first team squad despite looking a very good midfielder and make-shift forward.

He has played at all levels of International football for England from U16 up to U21.

In recent times Powell has been loaned out, playing three games in Hull City's succesfull promotion season to the Premiership. He also has been out on loan to Wigan and more notedly to Leicester City in the 2014-15 season, where Pearson undoubtebly saw his talent.

Derby County are currently in talks with Powell's agent over a move to the Ipro. With Pearson already having worked him on loan the move may take place soon, although other Championship and above clubs could be interested in taking Powell on board.

Other rumours are linking Jeff Hendrick with Premiership outfits following his succesful showing in Euro 2016, maybe this has prompted the Rams to be on the look out for a replacement and Powell may just fit the bill"

Is this youth any good? I have the impression he went out on loan several times and failed to impress anywhere

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Pearson send him back to Man U when he was on loan at Leicester? Something to do with his work ethic not being good. If that's true then I can't see us going for him.

Was mentioned in the other thread:

Nick Powell is heading back to Manchester United after Nigel Pearson opted to rip up his loan deal at Leicester City.

Pearson has decided to end Powell’s season’s loan prematurely after the United midfielder’s failure to impress left Leicester’s coaching staff exasperated.

Telegraph Sport understands Powell has infuriated Pearson and his backroom team with his attitude in training and general timekeeping since joining on loan in September.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11314422/Manchester-United-FC-news-Leicester-City-rip-up-Nick-Powell-loan-deal-after-exasperating-coaches.html

58 minutes ago, Sammy1946 said:

Was mentioned in the other thread:

Nick Powell is heading back to Manchester United after Nigel Pearson opted to rip up his loan deal at Leicester City.

Pearson has decided to end Powell’s season’s loan prematurely after the United midfielder’s failure to impress left Leicester’s coaching staff exasperated.

Telegraph Sport understands Powell has infuriated Pearson and his backroom team with his attitude in training and general timekeeping since joining on loan in September.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11314422/Manchester-United-FC-news-Leicester-City-rip-up-Nick-Powell-loan-deal-after-exasperating-coaches.html

Having read the full article, I find it extremely difficult to believe that Pearson would want him as his first signing. Perhaps if he was really cheap, but not the £4-6 million being mentioned at various times.

He's been released so there's no fee. However there's no chance of this happening whatsoever due to past incidents. He will end up with a mid table championship side at best this summer. Might still come good as he obviously has/had something but will need a good first team run to prove anything.

I doubt there is any truth in this given the source, but I think on a free and with the right wages this could be a useful pick-up if Pearson rates him.

The lad did very well at Crewe, sufficiently well for Manu to shed out c£5m, and Fergie was in charge at the time. Also competition from Liverpool if I remember. He can play a bit then.

l accept he has not really kicked on since, but that is the danger at times with quality young players hitting the big time, and big clubs too soon. Perhaps he was a Billy Big Bollux, perhaps he was lazy, but perhaps he has changed. Maybe in the last year or so he has grown up. Youngsters do mature you know.

As for Pearson, I am sure he is very aware that young lads can make mistakes, and be foolish.  I bet given personal circumstances he is more willing that most to forgive and support, and give someone a second chance.

When Clough brought Bywater to Burton after what he did at Derby, I didn't believe he would have any chance whatsoever of playing under him again.

Similarly with Powell, whilst it may be unlikely, never completely rule it out...

18 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Couldn't see Nick Powell getting on our bench nevermind first 11. The midfield is not an area we need players in anyway. Got enough quality in there with young lads like Callum Guy also coming through.

Not sure he is really like any of our current midfielders. I seem to remember when he played for Wigan against us he was a very attacking midfielder.

I don't see any squad players being signed as Mel wants the pathway from the U21's to the first team to be clear.

Players like Hanson and Calero will be looked at in pre season to see if they are ample back up to what is a good first XI and bench. Blackman,Weimann etc will be back in the mix so don't be surprised if we don't do much in the transfer market.

Just now, Seth's left foot said:

I don't see any squad players being signed as Mel wants the pathway from the U21's to the first team to be clear.

Players like Hanson and Calero will be looked at in pre season to see if they are ample back up to what is a good first XI and bench. Blackman,Weimann etc will be back in the mix so don't be surprised if we don't do much in the transfer market.

Calero won't be, he's gone 

Archived