Will Hughes

Bris Vegas

And so it begins...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1384944/manchester-united-boss-jose-mourinho-wants-will-hughes-to-boost-homegrown-quota/

JOSE MOURINHO wants Derby midfielder Will Hughes to boost his homegrown youngsters.

The new Manchester United boss has bolstered his squad with Zlatan Ibrahimovic,Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Eric Bailly — but is also targeting English talent.

United believe Hughes, 21, could be part of the first-team set-up before competing for a starting place in the future.

Derby will demand £7million for Hughes and are likely to offer him a new deal, with his current contract expiring in two years’ time.

A number of top-flight clubs have been tracking the England Under-21 star after three seasons as a regular with Derby.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

"Derby will demand £7 million for Hughes and are likely to offer him a new deal"

I reckon the journalist wrote this in a hurry and accidentally missed the 1 from £17 million.

Now while I don't wish to overrate our players, £7 million for Will Hughes in a market where Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo are worth £30 million plus is an absolute joke.

Considering he's young, English, extremely comfortable on the ball and has great potential, he has to be worth an eight-figure fee.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Now while I don't wish to overrate our players, £7 million for Will Hughes in a market where Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo are worth £30 million plus is an absolute joke.

Considering he's young, English, extremely comfortable on the ball and has great potential, he has to be worth an eight-figure fee.

I compare him and Michael Keane. Yes they play different positions and Keane has an extra year on his deal compared to Hughes, but Keane is 2 years older, has only just had his first full season of first team football and Burnley are looking to get more than £15 million for him from Leicester. So I really do hope that if Hughes is to leave, Rush manages to get somewhere around the figure of £15 million for Hughes, as well as a large sell on fee. 

What gripes my gears is the fact the day he signs for United is the day he will be called up to the England squad.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next England manager (Southgate) is telling the big clubs to sign the likes of Hughes to help their development and fast track into the senior squad, they can't be seen to be selecting championship players now can they.

Sometime, just like Kevin, Roy, Toddy, Charlie and all the rest of them MRIG, Hughesy is going to go.  The world will not end and it might, just might, get better if we spend what we get for him wisely.  So chin up son.

Mind, he would be foolish to go there to a manager with almost no track record of playing and developing young players

40 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What gripes my gears is the fact the day he signs for United is the day he will be called up to the England squad.

It wouldn't surprise me if the next England manager (Southgate) is telling the big clubs to sign the likes of Hughes to help their development and fast track into the senior squad, they can't be seen to be selecting championship players now can they.

That's exactly the way it will pan out, it's the way the England selection appears to work (Sadly)   

But on a positive side let's hope we demand a huge, huge fee with loan back option a significant fee when he makes his England debut (which he will almost instantly) and a substantial % of any future sell on fees. 

A move to Utd is a great move if true and if it is.. He leaves with my best wishes. 

£7million would be a kick in the teeth for a player of his ability. I do think he's good enough to play at that level, therefore he should demand a fee that reflects that. 

I don't believe the report for a second. If we had a more pragmatic chairman, a story like this would worry me, but Mel Morris wouldn't let Hughes go for that amount of money. No way, Jose. 

He's a difficult player to put a price tag on. I do think we should invest in him by offering him a new deal that pins him down for a number of years and puts off Premier League suitors.

The fact that the reporter suggests that Derby would 'demand' £7 million for Hughes means that we can ignore him.  Doesn't know what he's talking about, but he has probably been told to come up with a few rumours to fill a few column inches.   On the other hand all big clubs should be looking at Hughes, why wouldn't they.  The important point is, we don't need to sell him.

Archived