Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

9 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

:lol:

I bloody hope clubs don't check for our fan's opinions before trying to sign our players. If they do, Keogh, a man regularly picked for Ireland and a multiple time player of the year winner would be worth pennies. One of the top scoring centre mids in the league last season, Butterfield, would have halved in value in the space of a year and Ince who contributed to 20 goals last season would also be sold on the cheap.

We're screwed! 

I find it incredible to be honest Cam. Bewildering.

We have players who are due criticism, (although pretty much everyone is due some *minor* criticisms) and yet the players who come under fire are literally our best.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd keep him. He's still fairly young and has clearly got quality. I think he's probably Derby's most underrated player. If Pearson can get him playing at his best a little more often, he'll do very well for us next season. It's also always nice to see someone who's come through the academy playing regularly.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him go for silly money if that's what was offered but I would be in no rush to try and get rid.

Just now, ITSD said:

I'd keep him. He's still fairly young and has clearly got quality. I think he's probably Derby's most underrated player. If Pearson can get him playing at his best a little more often, he'll do very well for us next season. It's also always nice to see someone who's come through the academy playing regularly.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him go for silly money if that's what was offered but I would be in no rush to try and get rid.

Derby's most underrated player is Weimann imo. Everyone else is rated pretty well (or overrated) for their stock.

Although I would like to keep one of our own and the fact he looked decent in the euros. Derby have history of not extracting full value for players. we should therefore sell whilst people are talking about him and hopefully get the best deal. 

Just now, SaintRam said:

I find it incredible to be honest Cam. Bewildering.

We have players who are due criticism, (although pretty much everyone is due some *minor* criticisms) and yet the players who come under fire are literally our best.

It's the main reason I've not been posting on the forum much lately. I love the transfer window as much as most do, but it's annoying seeing people suggest we sell our top players for cheap and are quite happy to replace them with lesser players who if signed, would then receive the exact same criticism themselves in a years time. The circle of life :lol:

We have our best defensive record in years - sell Keogh, Shackell and Christie and bring in Hanley, Wisdom and Flint.

Hendrick proves himself against some of the world's best - sell him (can understand this one due to the inflated price).

Butterfield and Johnson who have scored 30+ goals combined over the past 2 seasons in the Championship - don't give them a chance to shine under a new manager, just sell them for a loss.

Ince doesn't smile enough but contributed to 20 goals last season - sell him and replace him with McManaman who has scored less goals in his entire career than Ince has in the past 2 seasons.

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

It's the main reason I've not been posting on the forum much lately. I love the transfer window as much as most do, but it's annoying seeing people suggest we sell our top players for cheap and are quite happy to replace them with lesser players who if signed, would then receive the exact same criticism themselves in a years time. The circle of life :lol:

We have our best defensive record in years - sell Keogh, Shackell and Christie and bring in Hanley, Wisdom and Flint.

Hendrick proves himself against some of the world's best - sell him (can understand this one due to the inflated price).

Butterfield and Johnson who have scored 30+ goals combined over the past 2 seasons in the Championship - don't give them a chance to shine under a new manager, just sell them for a loss.

Ince doesn't smile enough but contributed to 20 goals last season - sell him and replace him with McManaman who has scored less goals in his entire career than Ince has in the past 2 seasons.

Don't think we need a winger. Think Camara will shine under Pearson (unless he decides to get rid in which Camara is useless and we shouldn't have bought him). Also think Weimann will get more of a chance under Pearson (possibly up front?). 

If we got Mcmanaman on the cheap I wouldn't be upset, as long as he isn't replacing anyone. He's not better than anyone we have. He could be in the future, but he's not right now.

56 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

:lol:

I bloody hope clubs don't check for our fan's opinions before trying to sign our players. If they do, Keogh, a man regularly picked for Ireland and a multiple time player of the year winner would be worth pennies. One of the top scoring centre mids in the league last season, Butterfield, would have halved in value in the space of a year and Ince who contributed to 20 goals last season would also be sold on the cheap.

We're screwed! 

On the plus side Russell is worth £85m :lol:

57 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Derby's most underrated player is Weimann imo. Everyone else is rated pretty well (or overrated) for their stock.

Weimann's also a good shout for most underrated to be fair. Hopefully he gets a decent go next season, I was impressed with him against Hull.

11 minutes ago, ITSD said:

Weimann's also a good shout for most underrated to be fair. Hopefully he gets a decent go next season, I was impressed with him against Hull.

Forsyth was also pretty underrated(before he got injured). His injury made people appreciate his defensive qualities and his athleticism a lot more. 

Odd that a rotation player for us is a star in the Ireland team and now wanted by Premier League sides... This really shows how talented our squad is and how poor we've been in not getting promoted the last 3 years...

Also... Imagine what the reports would be if Uncle Roy had taken our Will along...

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Odd that a rotation player for us is a star in the Ireland team and now wanted by Premier League sides... This really shows how talented our squad is and how poor we've been in not getting promoted the last 3 years...

Also... Imagine what the reports would be if Uncle Roy had taken our Will along...

No, it shows how stupid people are to make a judgement of a player's abilities based on 4 matches, playing in a team expected to be the underdogs, where being a little bit more direct and by having a few long range shots which nearly go in can make you stand out.

It's all about context.

Bradley Johnson was POTY and scored 15 goals for Norwich in The Championship by virtue of not being involved in the build up play and being allowed to just get on the end of things, yet he's bloody  hopeless if you actually ask him to play a more involved role.

Jeff Hendrick was essentially the same for Ireland as he is for us, just with fewer expectations / requirements put on him. There were no extra attributes to his play that we haven't seen from him in his time here, and when it came to the big moments that required a calmer thought process he didn't deliver in a manner which would suggest he's good enough to be a regular in the Premier League... then again, neither did most of the actual Premier League players! 

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

The question should be why Hendrick hasn't been able to tie down a regular place in our starting eleven. I think it's partly to do with him not having a clearly defined role with us so he's  been tried in a number of positions by Clough, McLaren and Clement - bit of a Jack of all trades, master of none.

Personally I feel he's best suited to a central attacking role - he just doesn't have the positional nouse or defensive awareness of what's going on around him to play immediately in front of a back four.

He's had two really good and two mediocre performances for Ireland out of the four games played in the tournament which is a much better good to poor ratio than he achieves for the Rams. If he could reproduce even that degree of consistency in the Championship I'd  be more than happy but he doesn't. 

For that reason, if the right offer came in for him then reluctantly, I would let him go.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Personally I feel he's best suited to a central attacking role - he just doesn't have the positional nouse or defensive awareness of what's going on around him to play immediately in front of a back four.

Agree with the back part, not sure about the front part... He doesn't get close enough to Martin most of the time...

That said he played VERY well in the hole in front of defence in the way game at Hull.

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Agree with the back part, not sure about the front part... He doesn't get close enough to Martin most of the time...

That said he played VERY well in the hole in front of defence in the way game at Hull.

that'd be because he didnt have to do any defending

We will not sell Hendrick for a fee of anything less than £8m. 

Personally think this a fair price for a player that has had a good euro's + can play in multiple positions.

Rush doesn't want to let him go.

Pearson wants his own opinion before allowing Jeff to leave.

If he was to leave, we will only sell to a premier league club.

Newcastle have shown their interest but were shown the door straight away.

Good to know that if he was to leave then we wouldn't sell him to a rival.

Unclear on which premier league teams are interested as pretty much all of the lower half of the league have been linked with him. 

Archived