Vardy staying at Leicester

Day

31 minutes ago, David said:

Leicester have one season in the CL unless you believe they will do the unthinkable again next season which I don't. Arsenal can offer European football each season, playing alongside great players under a top top manager.

Last season was last season, a freak show, for all the big clubs to throw it away, I doubt we'll see another season like it.

If Leicester make it into the top 10 next season I'll be very very surprised.

You also have to think of the lifestyle, living in London or Leicester, hardly a tough decision. Closer to home for England duty and it's not like Arsenal will be paying him peanuts either. 

Playing for a successful manager or one that hasn't won anything for a decade?

Living in Leicester in a mansion or living in London in a nice four bedroomed house?

Playing for a competitive club or an also ran?

Having to play in red?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
5 hours ago, David said:

Here's a question.

How would everyone feel if we sold Will Hughes this summer to....

a) Chelsea who finished 10th last season, no European football

or

b) Leicester City champions, CL football

Same transfer fee, same wages at both and ignoring any rivalry feelings if you have any for Leicester.

I'd be feeling a bit blue about it.

4 hours ago, David said:

No place for loyalty in football unless you don't want to further your career.

Despite the online silliness, most Leicester fans would have understood and wished him well, joining Arsenal would have been huge for him and this opportunity may never come around again.

He might go down as a Leicester legend but come on, when a club like Arsenal come calling you don't turn that down. 

But would it be good for his career to go to Arsenal?  Who cares which club is 'bigger' whatever that means. I understand players wanting higher wages and a greater chance of wining something, they are professionals after all.  But apart from those considerations the status of a club means nothing.  For a start Arsenal players haven't exactly been weighed down with medals in the last decade, why is that going to change anytime soon?  More importantly for Vardy, Leicester is a club that suits his style of play perfectly.  Arsenal would not.  He thrives on quick counter-attacking, not possession based football.  A move to Arsenal would see him become a less effective footballer in my view, and may well end with him spending a lot of his time on the bench. He's made the right decision, not getting his head turned by a 'big' club and staying where he can play his best football.  Why on earth would he not want to experience a season playing for Leicester as champions of England in the Premier League and in the Champions League anyway, after he did so much to make it an historic reality in the first place. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Leicester have one season in the CL unless you believe they will do the unthinkable again next season which I don't. Arsenal can offer European football each season, playing alongside great players under a top top manager.

Last season was last season, a freak show, for all the big clubs to throw it away, I doubt we'll see another season like it.

If Leicester make it into the top 10 next season I'll be very very surprised.

You also have to think of the lifestyle, living in London or Leicester, hardly a tough decision. Closer to home for England duty and it's not like Arsenal will be paying him peanuts either. 

But surely it comes down to what he believes he can achieve with Leicester?

If he believes Leicester can do the "unthinkable" and start playing consistently at that level, then there's no reason to move.

5 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Some people may just have different priorities, look at Steven Gerrard for one. Not saying that it's the right way for every player but I just think that it's refreshing to see.

yep, look at Stevie G for example.. let his contract run down, turned down the offer of a coaching role and then signed for LA Galaxy for a few million in his back pocket every month....yep, totally loyal.

It is easy to stay "loyal" to a club all your career like Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Terry did when you are playing for the biggest club in the league, but a true statement of loyalty is someone like Matt LeTissier.

Vardy should have gone to Arsenal, and he will regret it that-s for sure....I think maybe the one season wonder tag is worrying him and he doubts his ability maybe he would have been shown up at a decent footballing side.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

yep, look at Stevie G for example.. let his contract run down, turned down the offer of a coaching role and then signed for LA Galaxy for a few million in his back pocket every month....yep, totally loyal.

It is easy to stay "loyal" to a club all your career like Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Terry did when you are playing for the biggest club in the league, but a true statement of loyalty is someone like Matt LeTissier.

Vardy should have gone to Arsenal, and he will regret it that-s for sure....I think maybe the one season wonder tag is worrying him and he doubts his ability maybe he would have been shown up at a decent footballing side.

Wanted to play and was offered only coaching role. Can't really say it's disloyalty.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Wanted to play and was offered only coaching role. Can't really say it's disloyalty.

Yes you can, if he was "loyal" wanted to "stay at Liverpool for life" then he would have accepted a coaching role, he isn't good enough to play in a top half premiershite side and from the drivel he is dishing out in MLS he isn't good enough for that either. He went there for the money, showing zero loyalty to the scousers at all. (Can't fault him of that by the way) 

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yes you can, if he was "loyal" wanted to "stay at Liverpool for life" then he would have accepted a coaching role, he isn't good enough to play in a top half premiershite side and from the drivel he is dishing out in MLS he isn't good enough for that either. He went there for the money, showing zero loyalty to the scousers at all. (Can't fault him of that by the way) 

I would argue that 17 years, 504 appearances and only leaving when they didn't want him as a player shows just a little bit of loyalty...

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I would argue that 17 years, 504 appearances and only leaving when they didn't want him as a player shows just a little bit of loyalty...

and I would argue that flirting with Chelsea twice in order to get a massive pay rise at your current club and then sulking because you were not playing every week even though you clearly weren't good enough and then leaving to go and play in Los Angeles suggests that you aren't.

17 hours ago, Highgate said:

But would it be good for his career to go to Arsenal?  Who cares which club is 'bigger' whatever that means. I understand players wanting higher wages and a greater chance of wining something, they are professionals after all.  But apart from those considerations the status of a club means nothing.  For a start Arsenal players haven't exactly been weighed down with medals in the last decade, why is that going to change anytime soon?  More importantly for Vardy, Leicester is a club that suits his style of play perfectly.  Arsenal would not.  He thrives on quick counter-attacking, not possession based football.  A move to Arsenal would see him become a less effective footballer in my view, and may well end with him spending a lot of his time on the bench. He's made the right decision, not getting his head turned by a 'big' club and staying where he can play his best football.  Why on earth would he not want to experience a season playing for Leicester as champions of England in the Premier League and in the Champions League anyway, after he did so much to make it an historic reality in the first place. 

Wenger has been very complimentary about Leicester's tactics, it's possible Wenger was looking at a different direction to take the team next season. So whilst the old Arsenal may not have suited him, we don't exactly know how Wenger was planning to use him.

Would any of that played on his mind? possibly but you can look at Derby and question why players like Blackman chose to move to Derby, we played with 1 striker, did he really think he would replace Martin? 

I can understand the lure to stay at Leicester, seen as a hero, know your place in the team is pretty secure and what a season in the CL he's got coming up, just think he should have looked at the bigger picture, not just last season and next season. Whilst Arsenal haven't exactly been clocking up the trophies the chances of adding more to his trophy cabinet would be at Arsenal and European football each season.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Wenger has been very complimentary about Leicester's tactics, it's possible Wenger was looking at a different direction to take the team next season. So whilst the old Arsenal may not have suited him, we don't exactly know how Wenger was planning to use him.

Would any of that played on his mind? possibly but you can look at Derby and question why players like Blackman chose to move to Derby, we played with 1 striker, did he really think he would replace Martin? 

Saying all that and....

39 minutes ago, David said:

For the bigger paycheck perhaps and if so, to me that is a better example of a lack of ambition

10 minutes ago, ramit said:

For the bigger paycheck perhaps and if so, to me that is a better example of a lack of ambition

Not really, we were a promotion candidate, being in the Premier League is where you want to be. Obviously believed he could force himself into the team which is what you want. Could have easily stayed at Reading.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Not really, we were a promotion candidate, being in the Premier League is where you want to be. Obviously believed he could force himself into the team which is what you want. Could have easily stayed at Reading.

Granted, the PL is a big pull but if he intended to force his way into the side as a winger, he is either deluded or umm deluded.  Can't cross, can't get past his man, can't do the job.  Maybe he thought we would change to two up front, i will give him the benefit of that doubt.  That being said i hope he has a cracking season and makes me eat my words.

Archived