Vardy staying at Leicester

Day

Leicester City have today (Thursday) agreed with the representatives of Jamie Vardy to extend the England international’s contract with the Premier League champions for a further four years. 

Both parties hope that this announcement will end recent speculation regarding Jamie’s future and confirm his long term commitment to Leicester City Football Club. 

Jamie will continue to focus all of his efforts on trying to achieve success with the England team at the European Championships in France. 

There will be no further comment from either the Club or the player on this matter until the conclusion of the tournament.

http://leic.it/28RKm6J

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 hours ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

That's added a few million to his price but I still don't think he'll be there for long. Wonder what the new escape clause value is?.

2 hours ago, David said:

Leicester City have today (Thursday) agreed with the representatives of Jamie Vardy to extend the England international’s contract with the Premier League champions for a further four years. 

Both parties hope that this announcement will end recent speculation regarding Jamie’s future and confirm his long term commitment to Leicester City Football Club. 

Jamie will continue to focus all of his efforts on trying to achieve success with the England team at the European Championships in France. 

There will be no further comment from either the Club or the player on this matter until the conclusion of the tournament.

http://leic.it/28RKm6J

Wonder if they have included a relegation clause

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

If you ever needed any proof what an idiot he is, there it is. What a fool. 

i don't know, i kinda admire him for staying, money is apparently not everything to him.  He's enjoying life at Leicester and it's probable that at Arsenal he wouldn't get as many games in the starting eleven which would impede his chances of being picked for the England team.

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

What a fool for showing loyalty to the club that have helped him to get where he is now, representing his country at the Euros? Yes, he'll probably have received a massive pay rise but I commend him for not jumping ship and trying to help Leicester go again next season. I for one am glad, as it shows that loyalty isn't dead in football.

No place for loyalty in football unless you don't want to further your career.

Despite the online silliness, most Leicester fans would have understood and wished him well, joining Arsenal would have been huge for him and this opportunity may never come around again.

He might go down as a Leicester legend but come on, when a club like Arsenal come calling you don't turn that down. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Despite the online silliness, most Leicester fans would have understood and wished him well, joining Arsenal would have been huge for him and this opportunity may never come around again.

He might go down as a Leicester legend but come on, when a club like Arsenal come calling you don't turn that down. 

Some people may just have different priorities, look at Steven Gerrard for one. Not saying that it's the right way for every player but I just think that it's refreshing to see.

29 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Plus the fact that Leicester finished 10 points ahead of Arsenal in the league and won it. Leicester are on the rise,Arsenal on the decline,it was a no-brainer.

have you seen the odds for 2016-2017 season? some bookies have Leicester down as 12-1 for the drop?

3 minutes ago, David said:

What can Arsenal offer that Leicester can't?

Arsenal are famous for not paying ridiculous salaries, so his £100k a week at Leicester or £110k a week (made up figures btw) at Arsenal is not going to make much difference. At Leicester he starts, at Arsenal he might not. That could be the difference between an England place and not, and that will make a huge difference to his income from endorsements and advertising. It's quite likely that he'd be worse off from going to Arsenal. He'll also be playing in the Champion's League at Leicester, the same as he would at Arsenal, but as Arsenal haven't come close to achieving anything in the competition, why would anyone believe that Arsenal have more of a chance at winning it than Leicester?

I could see why Vardy might have been tempted by Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Real Madrid or Barcelona, but not Arsenal. 

Fair play to the lad.  Doubtful he'd fit in Arsenal's style anyway.  In the Wales game, with them sitting deep, he touched the ball about three times (albeit one was a scoring one).  How many teams in the Prem play an open system against Arsenal???  He's be an impact sub when other teams are pushing up, nothing more...

17 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Some people may just have different priorities, look at Steven Gerrard for one. Not saying that it's the right way for every player but I just think that it's refreshing to see.

Easier to be loyal for players like Gerrard and Giggs as they are already at top clubs playing in Europe on a regular basis whilst picking up hefty wages. This is Jamie Vardy at Leicester with a one season in the CL

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Gets a massive pay increase on a FOUR year deal at 29, gets to play in a system that suits him perfectly, play for the team that showed faith in him, doesn't have to move to a massive city with a small child and wife, gets to play champions league football this year at least, stay at a club where everyone loves him and he's the main man (Mahrez maybe but whatever) gets to stay with his current teammates, gets to stay working with Ranieri, gets to partner 30 million pound man Troy Deeney, good decision from him.

10 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

What can Arsenal offer that Leicester can't?

Arsenal are famous for not paying ridiculous salaries, so his £100k a week at Leicester or £110k a week (made up figures btw) at Arsenal is not going to make much difference. At Leicester he starts, at Arsenal he might not. That could be the difference between an England place and not, and that will make a huge difference to his income from endorsements and advertising. It's quite likely that he'd be worse off from going to Arsenal. He'll also be playing in the Champion's League at Leicester, the same as he would at Arsenal, but as Arsenal haven't come close to achieving anything in the competition, why would anyone believe that Arsenal have more of a chance at winning it than Leicester?

I could see why Vardy might have been tempted by Chelsea, Man U, Man C, Real Madrid or Barcelona, but not Arsenal. 

Leicester have one season in the CL unless you believe they will do the unthinkable again next season which I don't. Arsenal can offer European football each season, playing alongside great players under a top top manager.

Last season was last season, a freak show, for all the big clubs to throw it away, I doubt we'll see another season like it.

If Leicester make it into the top 10 next season I'll be very very surprised.

You also have to think of the lifestyle, living in London or Leicester, hardly a tough decision. Closer to home for England duty and it's not like Arsenal will be paying him peanuts either. 

Good to see his loyalty to Leicester. But you have to think of what he had to go through.

At Leicester he is guaranteed first team football, He knows the Leicester way and style and it suits him, He is getting 100k at least for the next 4 years (not bad in my eyes) Most of us mere mortals wouldn't earn that in 3 years.

At Arsenal. First team football every week? I doubt it. Will their style suit him? I doubt it. Big figure wage? Not much more than is on offer at Leicester.

I feel sorry for Fleetwood, they had a sell on clause and would have benefitted massively from any move. .......Loyalty to your roots?????

Here's a question.

How would everyone feel if we sold Will Hughes this summer to....

a) Chelsea who finished 10th last season, no European football

or

b) Leicester City champions, CL football

Same transfer fee, same wages at both and ignoring any rivalry feelings if you have any for Leicester.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Here's a question.

How would everyone feel if we sold Will Hughes this summer to....

a) Chelsea who finished 10th last season, no European football

or

b) Leicester City champions, CL football

Same transfer fee, same wages at both and ignoring any rivalry feelings if you have any for Leicester.

a, Sad to see Will leave

b, Sad to see Will leave

Archived