England win the Cook cup

froggg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible. Up to second in the world and exactly the opposite of how we were under Lancaster - winning with backs against the wall.

The most exciting thing is that most of the core of this team will be coming into their prime at the next World Cup which is in Japan, where Eddie Jones will feel comfortable. Our scrum - with Itoje, Hartley, the Vunipolas - may well be the best in the world. 

25 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Incredible. Up to second in the world and exactly the opposite of how we were under Lancaster - winning with backs against the wall.

The most exciting thing is that most of the core of this team will be coming into their prime at the next World Cup which is in Japan, where Eddie Jones will feel comfortable. Our scrum - with Itoje, Hartley, the Vunipolas - may well be the best in the world. 

Only heard snippets of this one but that Itoje was a bit of a banker in the 1st test line outs, was this one the same?

Few years for Eddie to bridge the gap with the Kiwi's, just about enough time to sort that.

Very very different game today than the first test match. The pitch cut up incredibly badly and made scrummaging almost impossible. England couldn't get a decent set piece going all game a Kruise was put under huge pressure at the line out...

So, I hear you ask... How did England win so comfortably? 

Honest answer... The scoreline did not reflect how much possession and territory the Aussies had...at times it was like Ali v Forman Rope a Dope stuff and Englands defense was beyond mighty. When we had the ball in hand ( which wasn't often) we used a tactical kicking game and took our chances when the few occasions they appeared. Fords kicking out of hand was really good today. Very different ask of England today and once again they came up with the answers and the goods. 

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Only heard snippets of this one but that Itoje was a bit of a banker in the 1st test line outs, was this one the same?

Few years for Eddie to bridge the gap with the Kiwi's, just about enough time to sort that.

He looked dominant on occasion but in general I'd say his performance was quieter than usual although he made some big hits. Still, a fantastic player right now and for the future. I'd say the best players today were Haskell, Hartley, Billy Vunipola, Cole and Farrell.

There's still a huge gap between us and NZ, imo, but it's great to get to being ranked 2nd in the world. A whitewash next week would be historic. 

1 hour ago, Posh Ram said:

He looked dominant on occasion but in general I'd say his performance was quieter than usual although he made some big hits. Still, a fantastic player right now and for the future. I'd say the best players today were Haskell, Hartley, Billy Vunipola, Cole and Farrell.

There's still a huge gap between us and NZ, imo, but it's great to get to being ranked 2nd in the world. A whitewash next week would be historic. 

best defensive performance I've seen by any team ever. Made almost four times as many tackles as Australia and hardly ever any threat of yellow cards. Hard, effective and disciplined defense coupled with good execution when we had possession in advanced positions. Line out was poor compared to international standards though

30 minutes ago, davenportram said:

best defensive performance I've seen by any team ever. Made almost four times as many tackles as Australia and hardly ever any threat of yellow cards. Hard, effective and disciplined defense coupled with good execution when we had possession in advanced positions. Line out was poor compared to international standards though

I saw the dust up on 12 mins. No yellows for that?

9 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Robshaw was very lucky not to get ten mins sit down for that and we sailed very close throughout the game on yellows for infringement...

hardly sailed close to the wind. Very disciplined defense and gave away hardly any penalties.

6 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Already looking for odds for the next World Cup ?

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I saw the dust up on 12 mins. No yellows for that?

Handbags in Rugby 

6 hours ago, davenportram said:

Yeah, the second half was really smash and grab - but it's fantastic to see England defending competently and killing games off. The set-piece wasn't that good today but we have a world class bunch of forwards, with guys like Paul Hill, Jamie George, Cowan-Dickie, Clifford, Nathan Hughes etc. still to come through. Backs, we'll see. Not convinced that the current group (with the exception of Farrell in his current form, Tuilagi when not injured/banned and maybe Joseph and Watson) could go toe-to-toe with NZ.

13 hours ago, davenportram said:

hardly sailed close to the wind. Very disciplined defense and gave away hardly any penalties.

Dunno Dav...on another day a ref could have lost patience with us slowing ball down. I think Mr Joubert had a very good game. Handled the handbags pretty well and got the Farrell / Foley shoulder barge spot on... 

Rare for England to be on the right side of two huge calls in sport in the same week. 

2 hours ago, StockholmRam said:

Dunno Dav...on another day a ref could have lost patience with us slowing ball down. I think Mr Joubert had a very good game. Handled the handbags pretty well and got the Farrell / Foley shoulder barge spot on... 

Rare for England to be on the right side of two huge calls in sport in the same week. 

we only gave two penalties away in the second half so obviously the referee thought that we were playing fairly. We gave him no excuse to penalise us and therefore were not even close to getting any yellow cards.

8 minutes ago, davenportram said:

we only gave two penalties away in the second half so obviously the referee thought that we were playing fairly. We gave him no excuse to penalise us and therefore were not even close to getting any yellow cards.

Well...the ref is the pro, not me so we have to go with his reading of the game. 

Maybe im just used to seeing us get pinged umpteen times during games for slowing ball down and was surprised we didn't this time. I was watching a feed from Aussie TV and they were going bonkers with the ref... 

My favouite bit was when Welsh Nige tried to get Farrell pinged but the ref took a look at the replay on the big screen and deemed Foley at fault and gave us a penalty which of course OF duly despatched... Love it. 

Now I want to see us turn the screw, just as the All Blacks would. No basking in the glory of a series win this week. Let's go and hammer the nail home and whitewash them. 

Archived