Three best goals scored against Derby County

Rampage

Sometimes the opposition score a goal where you have just got to say, 'that was brilliant'. On those occasions, football is the winner and you were glad. You may have clapped spontaneously and you were thrilled that you witnessed it, even if it went in at the wrong end. What are your recollections, before the Pre Season starts in earnest? References to a nearby Club may be deemed inappropriate and their goal may have been offside, anyway.. :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poom - if you weren't at the ground or were but weren't paying attention, the incredible thing was how he ran all the way from his own goal all the way into the Derby box to meet the header without breaking stride. It wasn't that he went up for the corner, waited and got into a good position and then headed it in. He was like a force of nature.

Then I was at the Baseball Ground one time when Liam Brady scored an amazing outside of the foot curler into the top corner and we all stood and applauded.

A third? There was this one by a certain American who would later play for us but never did anything like this - against the England goalkeeper!

1. Shearer's only goal of the game for 0-1 win  for NUFC on McGrath's debut.  Shot into the Top corner from 22 yards on the only occasion in the game that McGrath let him have the ball.

2. A goal by Denis Bergkamp right in top corner for Arsenal which was about 30 levels above average

3. Anelka at Derby  in one of his first ever games.Looked a class above.

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

Sometimes the opposition score a goal where you have just got to say, 'that was brilliant'. On those occasions, football is the winner and you were glad. You may have clapped spontaneously and you were thrilled that you witnessed it, even if it went in at the wrong end. What are your recollections, before the Pre Season starts in earnest? References to a nearby Club may be deemed inappropriate and their goal may have been offside, anyway.. :D

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT!! Rampage :DNever happened, they are all flukes :blink:

20 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Poom - if you weren't at the ground or were but weren't paying attention, the incredible thing was how he ran all the way from his own goal all the way into the Derby box to meet the header without breaking stride. It wasn't that he went up for the corner, waited and got into a good position and then headed it in. He was like a force of nature.

Then I was at the Baseball Ground one time when Liam Brady scored an amazing outside of the foot curler into the top corner and we all stood and applauded.

A third? There was this one by a certain American who would later play for us but never did anything like this - against the England goalkeeper!

The Liam Brady goal was the first that came to mind. Twas a beauty. 

The John Harkes goal is bad in so many ways. I can't bring myself to play that clip as that goal and following events are so annoying. And Shef Wed had a hex over us back then which was doubly annoying! 

Until the 5-2 win in 1997 (?) I never thought we'd win at Hillsborough ever again. The curse was well and try lifted that night. I was so amazed and happy at FT I tried to explain to my then girlfriend what it meant but she didn't get it. It wasn't the main reason but it certainly went in the 'reasons against' column when it was time to go our different ways!

Archived