Craig Forsyth

BuckoBeast

Fulham have become the latest Championship club interested in signing Derby County defender Craig Forsyth, according to a Teamtalk report this morning.

The Scottish international full-back, who has made over 100 first-team appearances for the Rams, has been out of first-team action since November after suffering an untimely cruciate knee ligament injury. He had been Derby’s first choice left back since making a loan move from Watford permanent back in 2013, but has lost his place in the side to new signing Marcus Olsson, who arrived in January.

Slavisa Jokanovic has made the signing of a left back a priority over the summer following the end of Luke Garbutt’s loan, but Fulham are likely to face competition from Championship rivals Brighton and Hove Albion and QPR if new Derby manager Nigel Pearson decides to make Forsyth available for transfer. The full back, who can also play on the left side of midfield, began his professional career with Dundee, for whom he scored the winner in the Scottish Challenge Cup final in 2010.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/championship-trio-tracking-derby-defender

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rample said:

I'd choose Forsyth over Olsson, but I'd be happy to sell either and sign an orthodox left back instead of using converted wingers with defensive frailties.

Would say Forsyth is an excellent defender, and very rarely gets beat by a winger.

Would be gutted to see him go as I agree with the statements above that he's one of the best LBs in the division and would be good to have competition...

However he rightly has the expectation of playing regular football at this level BUT think Olsson is one of the few LBs who is better than him in the championship... Think Olsson is a genuinely brilliant player... Really depends how Pearson is going to set up his team I would imagine...

Forsyth is a much better player than Olsson, I like Olsson but the only thing he can do better than Forsyth is those passes into midfield. Forsyth is better in every other area and we shouldn't be selling him at all, especially not to anyone in this division.

Forsyth is a solid defender, but needs too much time on the ball before passing in a high tempo game.  Olson is better in my opinion, his crosses are also excellent.  For the right price, i would say sell, there is no lack of good left backs in European divisions, quality right backs however are few and far between.

I'd much rather sell Olsson than Forsyth. Forsyth is one of the best all round LB's in the league, maybe the best now that Robertson (Hull) and Friend (Middlesbrough) have been promoted. His height is a great advantage both defensively and attacking wise (how often have we seen the keeper chip the ball to forsyth's head when under pressure - it's a get out of jail free card that Olsson doesn't have).

Great link up play with Martin - which may not be as important in the future but is still important. If there is a change in formation I think he'd be our best LB in a 442 anyway. I fully expect him to win his place back and show everyone what we missed while he was injured.

I wrote a blog about this a while ago, just after we'd signed Olsson, but I think most of the points in it still stand. http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/missing-craig-forsyth.html

Archived