How can improved consistency be instilled into a talented squad?

Rampage

12 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Some excellent reading on this thread. The answers to Derby's inconsistency are pretty much explained in these posts, in my considered opinion. 

...and let's be honest that counts for a lot!

Rampage...What a guy!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have posted about good managers managing players,, an ingredient of that is also good managers see what players do well and what they don't do well and gels a team together with everyone knowing their role within that team , you get players doing the things their good at , stop them attempting to do the stuff their not so good at and in time they start to have better more consistent performances ,, their confidence build and it's an upward spiral , over simplification I know but it's true ,, decide how you want your team to play ,, pick each player to perform certain roles in that style with each player knowing his job and in the main sticking to it and you get in time a team of players who can read each other and you are on to a winner ,,, Pearson to shacks ,,, your a good defender son so defend but when you have the ball move it fast and simple to one of the players like Hughes or Thorne who make us tick ,, don't hang on to it looking to play killer diagonal long balls that come off 1 in 20,,, that's how I think Pearson will produce more consistency , repeating that process all through the team ,,, in my view this squad of players are crying out for a pearson

6 hours ago, archied said:

I have posted about good managers managing players,, an ingredient of that is also good managers see what players do well and what they don't do well and gels a team together with everyone knowing their role within that team , you get players doing the things their good at , stop them attempting to do the stuff their not so good at and in time they start to have better more consistent performances ,, their confidence build and it's an upward spiral , over simplification I know but it's true ,, decide how you want your team to play ,, pick each player to perform certain roles in that style with each player knowing his job and in the main sticking to it and you get in time a team of players who can read each other and you are on to a winner ,,, Pearson to shacks ,,, your a good defender son so defend but when you have the ball move it fast and simple to one of the players like Hughes or Thorne who make us tick ,, don't hang on to it looking to play killer diagonal long balls that come off 1 in 20,,, that's how I think Pearson will produce more consistency , repeating that process all through the team ,,, in my view this squad of players are crying out for a pearson

Totally agree with that,archied. The present Leicester team seem to be doing that and have won the League.The players also seem to know each other's game inside out, strengths and weaknesses.

8 hours ago, archied said:

As BC used to say about Alan Hinton:- I bought him to cross the ball on a sixpence - if he wins a tackle or heads the ball, they are bonuses.

On 4 June 2016 at 07:01, Rampage said:

Both Maclaren and Clement attained consistency for twenty games or so, which just evaporated.

Pearson could go twenty games with a couple of defeats but what would happen if it started to fall apart? I think there would be a different result.

They both attained a level of consistency both on Ws and non-Ws when you think about it.

We weren't an especially 'streaky' kind of side...but, geez, when we embarked on a streak, we REALLY embarked on a streak.

On 5 June 2016 at 08:55, archied said:

To be fair to Mac, he did do what you are describing there exceptionally well AND with an absolutely vital addition which was worth its weight in gold.

He can also COACH players to improve those aspects of the game that they're relatively weak at (be they physical or psychological). We had clubs knocking our collective doors down wanting young talent to be loaned to Derby for polishing. But, as we all know, it worked against us in the end as some young blokes improved too quickly for OUR own good. I know I am in the minority but when Ibe was recalled, we had no-one capable of filling the hole he left.

Also, in the interests of being fair to Clement, he wasn't with us long enough to tell.

Seriously, though, I read (after Leicester won the EPL) a year-old interview with Kaspar Schmeicel about Nigel Pearson as a manager and, while his words weren't as erudite as yours, they were pretty striking...the manner in which Pearson directs and drives his team is as you describe..,

Let's face it: if he can convince a goalkeeper that he can follow the tactics of the game, his communication skills are very, very strong.

I agree on Mac , he's obviously a very good coach and it seem as a manager if he can get on a role with a bit of momentum he really shines ,just seems to struggle a bit when things not going right ,, really seems to struggle to halt slides and turn things round , I really don't believe he could take a relegation certainty like Leicester looked and keep them up in the way Pearson did and not with the new manager bounce effect,,, we can never say for sure but I really believe that the whole Newcastle saga and the way he handled it lost him the respect and trust of players he had convinced to commit to Derby and him by then appearing not committed himself ,, I also believe in many ways it's a shame for him ,, I think he probably was in the right place at the right time with Derby and didn't fully realise it , yes I know he made lots of doe still by losing Newcastle job but I'm sure he s got plenty and would also like to leave a mark in managing terms in England after the wally brolly stuff ,, clement we won't really know unti he gets another job as no1 but my gut feeling is that he won't cut it ,, maybe with age he might but I don't think at this point he has it

3 hours ago, archied said:

I agree on Mac , he's obviously a very good coach and it seem as a manager if he can get on a role with a bit of momentum he really shines ,just seems to struggle a bit when things not going right ,, really seems to struggle to halt slides and turn things round , I really don't believe he could take a relegation certainty like Leicester looked and keep them up in the way Pearson did and not with the new manager bounce effect,,, we can never say for sure but I really believe that the whole Newcastle saga and the way he handled it lost him the respect and trust of players he had convinced to commit to Derby and him by then appearing not committed himself ,, I also believe in many ways it's a shame for him ,, I think he probably was in the right place at the right time with Derby and didn't fully realise it , yes I know he made lots of doe still by losing Newcastle job but I'm sure he s got plenty and would also like to leave a mark in managing terms in England after the wally brolly stuff ,, clement we won't really know unti he gets another job as no1 but my gut feeling is that he won't cut it ,, maybe with age he might but I don't think at this point he has it

I couldn't agree more. Their strengths are very different. 

The Guardian interview with Kaspar Schmeicel is actually pretty extraordinary in the fulsomeness of his commendation of Pearson, even allowing (presumably) for an inevitable varnish trying to help Pearson keep the Leicester job.

For his many strengths, Pearson is first and foremost a leader.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived