England International Friendlies

Shuff264

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If it was one of the better club sides people would be saying that proving you can win without playing well is the sign of a good team. Not brilliant today, but I'd take that performance and result in the quarter-finals. The red card disadvantaged us in a way as it changed the way Portugal played, so whatever we wanted to experiment tonight wasn't in fact experimented. In the end, other than minutes on the pitch it was a bit of a pointless exercise for both sides. I don't think it will be very reflective on how either side will perform in the tournament.

Good comment. Friendlies are like pre season matches, they mean **** all. I remember Fabregas making a comment that we have a problem in England where we take friendlies far too seriously. The results and performances aren't important at this stage, it's just trying out new things. The red card somewhat disrupted this which probably infuriated Woy.

Friendly was bad for either team as soon as that red card happened as Portugal had to defender for there lives and England couldn't try out there formation in an open game due to Portugal parking the bus. Of course people are going to moan about something though.

10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

No pace,  no one or two touch football, virtually no movement. 

Now that dier established as the cdm I don't see what milner brings.rooney looked a bit wasteful and vardy looked abit lost.

I think the red card finished Vardy as an attacking force last night - two banks of four parked outside the box and lack of genuine width meant that there was no space to run into. That changed as soon as Stirling came on of course - he terrifies defences by forcing them to make challenges.

55 minutes ago, eddie said:

I think the red card finished Vardy as an attacking force last night - two banks of four parked outside the box and lack of genuine width meant that there was no space to run into. That changed as soon as Stirling came on of course - he terrifies defences by forcing them to make challenges.

All certainly true.

Although what concerned me even prior to that was kane and vardy splitting as a front 2 which meant rooney at the tip of the diamond pushed up when we attacked and became the central attacker.

Which all smacked of Roy-yet again- getting his best/form players on the pitch and asking them to do unfamiliar things rather than fitting players to a system. 

To be fair sterling made a very intelligent move to get himself into position to provide the cross for smalling and I'm usually quite critical of him as a generally unfocused dribbler.

It looks to me like we're going to need 433 with nipper players like sterling and wilshere if we're confronted with massed defence. The 41212 might work better against teams who come at us and presumably that was the plan before Bruno Lee took flight :)

Had a great time being there with my lads. Loved it, not a great game..... But once Wilshire came on the pace and intensity of our attacks changed. 

Not a fan of picking players who have been out all season..... Just wish we had a fully fit Wilshire for a season. If so, he's streets ahead of the likes of Lallana, Drinkwater et al.

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Had a great time being there with my lads. Loved it, not a great game..... But once Wilshire came on the pace and intensity of our attacks changed. 

Not a fan of picking players who have been out all season..... Just wish we had a fully fit Wilshire for a season. If so, he's streets ahead of the likes of Lallana, Drinkwater et al.

Only if he can stay on his feet, I have never seen a player hit the deck so much.

I will admit that the pace did pick up when he came on but again he was fresh

8 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Only if he can stay on his feet, I have never seen a player hit the deck so much.

I will admit that the pace did pick up when he came on but again he was fresh

Yeah does hit the deck, it annoys me he's never fully fit...... He's got the ability to be an absolute top draw player.....

Archived