England International Friendlies

Shuff264

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, eddie said:

Yes, well three days ago you were congratulating Wassall on getting the Derby manager's job, so at the moment your stock is as low as Oxo cubes.

I think you've already done the 'Spain has billions of players better than Hughes' tripe as well, so you're just embarrassing yourself - again.

Lying isn't cool Eddie.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Either this England team has some scary looking talent at their disposal and I'm not seeing it, or they're just a bunch of really mediocre players in a rather mediocre generation.

The fact that nobody knows which set of strikers to take either says we have quality in abundance, or nobody who is a particular standout and they're all much of muchness.

I mean, all we're hearing is how much talent Rashford has etc. To me he looks like another Danny Welbeck.

Spain have a huge number of quality players at their disposal yet it's easy to pick out a 23 and just say hard luck to the rest. Why is it so hard with England? It should be easy to pick the best team.

That it isn't and many out there are still calling for the likes of Carroll, Noble and Cresswell etc. suggests the players currently in the squad are hardly indispensable.

I hope they prove me wrong and really do the business at the Euros. But, I just don't see the hype.

Having the right 23 players and having them being "natural picks" comes more from the culture and management than the "quality" of the players. If England had the players Spain had it would be the exact same situation, the difference is that their management has the balls to actually pick a squad to go out and win tournaments, not a squad that fulfills people's fantasies and is filled with their favourites. 

Just look at this Australia squad. With the mass retirements and such that have happened, it was a mere 18-24 months ago that no one knew who you'd take to a tournament. Despite the tinkering today, there is now a pretty clear set of players that work well for the national side, and others that are trusted to step in when needed. Someone in this thread noted that one of Australia's centrehalves is contracted to Preston, but the thing is that he's done well for Australia and is known to perform well with the rest of the squad. There's too much "pick on form", "pick for the future" and not enough picking for the team from sides like England. It takes time to build a culture and understanding between players. The funny thing is that when England actually starts doing this people start talking about how someone like Rooney should be dropped, even from the tournament squad, which is utter madness on so many levels. 

So what did we learn tonight? 

For me....

Rashford worth taking. 

Sterling looked useful on counter where he needs pace and has space. Looked wasteful first half. Sub at best.

Rooney looks in good nick going into a tournament for the first time in living memory. 

Dier only to be used at centre half in an emergency. 

Henderson, lallana,  barkley and drinkwater all much of a muchness. Actually add milner as well. Alli and I think wilshere ahead of them.

Stones looked better apart from one dreadful 50 yard hoof that sailed our. 

Thought Milner actually looked alright, and I hate that he's managed to get so many caps. If we're playing the diamond we need someone with energy in there. Wilshere did absolutely nothing to warrant being on the plane let alone have a starting place. Was also poor against Turkey. I think Dier Milner Alli Rooney as a diamond will start the first game.

Still wouldn't take Rashford. Yes he scored and it's a great story, but he also showed he's not ready by losing possesion 90% of times he got on the ball subsequently.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Either this England team has some scary looking talent at their disposal and I'm not seeing it, or they're just a bunch of really mediocre players in a rather mediocre generation.

The fact that nobody knows which set of strikers to take either says we have quality in abundance, or nobody who is a particular standout and they're all much of muchness.

I mean, all we're hearing is how much talent Rashford has etc. To me he looks like another Danny Welbeck.

Spain have a huge number of quality players at their disposal yet it's easy to pick out a 23 and just say hard luck to the rest. Why is it so hard with England? It should be easy to pick the best team.

That it isn't and many out there are still calling for the likes of Carroll, Noble and Cresswell etc. suggests the players currently in the squad are hardly indispensable.

I hope they prove me wrong and really do the business at the Euros. But, I just don't see the hype.

Racist?

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I really had no idea they played last night, it was only late last night when I saw some Facebook comments?

I'll hopefully get more enthusiastic for the proper games.

Typical half fan.

16 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Brain dead Mackems booing Townsend.

They're embarrassed themselves on that one. Pathetic (they need to leave club rivalry aside when England games played) 

17 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Sterling playing well

Agreed he did at the times. 

16 hours ago, eddie said:

Yes, well three days ago you were congratulating Wassall on getting the Derby manager's job, so at the moment your stock is as low as Oxo cubes.

I think you've already done the 'Spain has billions of players better than Hughes' tripe as well, so you're just embarrassing yourself - again.

Have a like for that post. 

16 hours ago, Albert said:

What a finish. Beautiful diving header. That is how you do it!

Should of used his left foot instead a header. Australia looked alright tbh. 

17 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Can we play rashford, Vardy , Kane and Rooney in the same team. Don't bother with a defence, they're all rubbish anyway. 

We can dream but unfortunately it won't happen anyway. 

17 hours ago, eddie said:

Some scary young talent in that team. Just need Will to knit it all together in a year or so.

Agreed. 

17 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Rashford is special, no nerves and it shows.

He looked like he's been playing for England for few years. Great goal and tbh keeper should done better. 

20 hours ago, froggg said:

Say what you like @Bris Vegas I'm putting my Pearson winnings on England each way, with a drizzle on France to cover it.

The amount of times Bris has been so far off the mark this season I reckon you might be in with a shout there, although he has tipped France now...so that's them fluked

England v Portugal sell out at Wembley, can't wait to go! And well done to the FA, get some stick at times, but very reasonable prices for this game. My boys are bouncing! 

Looks like England are going to start with the 4 4 2 diamond formation tonight . Personally I think this is our best formation as it utilises our attacking strengths , full backs plays as wing backs and Dier drops nicely in between the back 2 for cover . Hope it works ?

Archived