Shuff264

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What have we learned today?

1. Jamie Vardy is not a winger
  2. Danny Rose can attack but he can't defend
  3. Glenn Hoddle wears Spur-tinted sunnies
  4. Drinkwater must go to France if only for his understanding of where Vardy will be when he hoofs a ball over the top. 
  5. Wilshere is not match fit.

Currently, my choice for starting XI is a 4-1-2-1-2:

Hart

Clyne                 Cahill        Smalling                Rose

Dier

Alli                       Drinkwater

Rooney

Kane        Vardy

I think we need Rooney for experience, and I think he's better suited to that CAM role then he is up front. Earlier a Drinkwater lob over the top for Vardy to sprint through on goal convinced me that he should go.

Drinkwater & Vardy on the left for the Leicester connection.

Kane and Alli on the right for the Spurs connection, with the benefit of Dier sitting in behind doing what he does best.

If it isn't working I would drop Rooney, push Alli forward and get Henderson on the right of midfield. I like his physicality and range of passing, and Alli has proven he is dangerous in the hole between midfield and attack. 

20 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Currently, my choice for starting XI is a 4-1-2-1-2:

Hart

Clyne                 Cahill        Smalling                Rose

Dier

Alli                       Drinkwater

Rooney

Kane        Vardy

I think we need Rooney for experience, and I think he's better suited to that CAM role then he is up front. Earlier a Drinkwater lob over the top for Vardy to sprint through on goal convinced me that he should go.

Drinkwater & Vardy on the left for the Leicester connection.

Kane and Alli on the right for the Spurs connection, with the benefit of Dier sitting in behind doing what he does best.

If it isn't working I would drop Rooney, push Alli forward and get Henderson on the right of midfield. I like his physicality and range of passing, and Alli has proven he is dangerous in the hole between midfield and attack. 

Other than Walker over Clyne I agree. Toss up between who starts in Drinkwaters position but there's enough headless chicken type midfielders in the squad to play that role.

The diamond is surely our only real option with the lack of quality wide men we have.

So far I think only Hart, Cahill, Dier, Alli and Kane are guaranteed starters for Russia.

Didn't watch the whole game, but if we defend like that against one of the better teams, we'll get absolutely mullered - two indisciplined full-backs and Stones who may one-day be a decent defender, but at the moment, simply isn't......and if Wilshere makes the starting eleven, we'll know he's got some photo's of Roy doing something unpleasant to a hamster - so far off being match-fit that he shouldn't even be considered.....

Don't rule Milner out of that last midfield berth.

Bags of experience and a Hodgson favourite. Ideal cover when the full-backs sweep forward. 

Alli, Dier, Milner.

Will also be company for Rooney. They're the only two who can remember the Spice Girls.

20 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Other than Walker over Clyne I agree. Toss up between who starts in Drinkwaters position but there's enough headless chicken type midfielders in the squad to play that role.

The diamond is surely our only real option with the lack of quality wide men we have.

So far I think only Hart, Cahill, Dier, Alli and Kane are guaranteed starters for Russia.

Clyne has come on leaps an bounds under Klopp. He was the only player to come out of Liverpool's Europa league final loss with any credit - all of the Sevilla goals came down the other side. 

He's better going forward than Walker, and less liable to lose his cool. Also as good as Walker defensively, from what I've seen of both.

I think if you're playing two up top, you can't leave Vardy out. He just has a habit of scoring goals, and I think Kane would struggle, based on what I saw tonight. His goal was offside and he had few other clear cut chances. Didn't create a huge deal for anybody else, carved out no real chances for himself and if Roy insists on having him take set pieces then his ability in the air from them is less of a factor. He may be "one of our own", but even he can't get on the end of one of his own free kicks. 

Smalling for Stones 

Rooney for Wilshere 

Barkley for Sterling 

then that'll be Decent!!! 

Dier did a good job and am happy to start him for Euros!!!

Kane and Vardy look like they could be a very dangerous partnership. Kane played balls in behind for Vardy two or three times and he was only a few inches away from getting a toe on it. Play them together in the other warm-up games and work on it in training and they've surely got to start together on the 11th. I think Roy will go with:

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Milner Alli

Rooney

Kane Vardy

38 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Kane and Vardy look like they could be a very dangerous partnership. Kane played balls in behind for Vardy two or three times and he was only a few inches away from getting a toe on it. Play them together in the other warm-up games and work on it in training and they've surely got to start together on the 11th. I think Roy will go with:

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier

Barkley Alli

Rooney

Kane Vardy

Fixed. 

30 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Fixed. 

That would be too attacking in my opinion. Barkley loves to run with the ball, a lot. Alli is also attacking. If a German midfielder gets his toe on it and tackles Barkley then we'll be left open with Dier as the only midfielder. Our defence is our weakest area so Milner would provide a better balance.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

That would be too attacking in my opinion. Barkley loves to run with the ball, a lot. Alli is also attacking. If a German midfielder gets his toe on it and tackles Barkley then we'll be left open with Dier as the only midfielder. Our defence is our weakest area so Milner would provide a better balance.

This is all true. But if a German midfielder gets his foot on the ball on the 11th it'll be remarkably stupid of him as he'll be in the wrong stadium :lol:

On 5/23/2016 at 17:18, Kernow said:

Equally though, with pacey attacks arguably our strongest attribute as a team would we not be weakening it by playing Milner?

I've watched a lot of Liverpool this season. Milner has been in excellent form, and I like him as a player, he's industrious, actually really does have an eye for a good pass when given the time. But therein lies my issue with him - I've noticed he dawdles a lot. Swift passing movements often stall when he gets on the ball, his decision-making isn't quick enough. 

For that reason, I think if we were to go with a more balanced, slightly defensive midfield option in a diamond alongside Alli it'd have to be either Drinkwater or Henderson for me. 

Archived