England cricket 2016

froggg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the Oval the last two days. Our bowling attack looked quite toothless, with the exception of Woakes. 

Ali has a wonderful ability to play well when his place in the side is under threat. Magnificent innings on day one. 

The biggest problems are the shaky middle order, lack of an obvious second spinner for India and the decline of Broad and Anderson. Personally I'd pick Dawid Malan instead of Vince and start considering pushing Hales down the order so he can play more of an attacking game, with Bell-Drummond coming in as an opener. There's lots of reason to be sceptical but I could see Jason Roy being in with a chance of making the team too.

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

I was at the Oval the last two days. Our bowling attack looked quite toothless, with the exception of Woakes. 

Ali has a wonderful ability to play well when his place in the side is under threat. Magnificent innings on day one. 

The biggest problems are the shaky middle order, lack of an obvious second spinner for India and the decline of Broad and Anderson. Personally I'd pick Dawid Malan instead of Vince and start considering pushing Hales down the order so he can play more of an attacking game, with Bell-Drummond coming in as an opener. There's lots of reason to be sceptical but I could see Jason Roy being in with a chance of making the team too.

Roy wont be a test player. Not sure about Hales either. Or Vince. I think that we have to find better batsmen.. we depend too much on Cook and Root, with Bairstow and Ali chipping in every now and then. Better fielders would help too.

On 8/13/2016 at 20:54, PistoldPete2 said:

Roy wont be a test player. Not sure about Hales either. Or Vince. I think that we have to find better batsmen.. we depend too much on Cook and Root, with Bairstow and Ali chipping in every now and then. Better fielders would help too.

I think you're right about Roy, but he's an aggressive and talented batsman and a good fielder - qualities Bayliss seems to like. 

I think for the tour of India, I'd make one change - drop Vince for Jack Leach who has been one of the best spinners in the Championship this year. Ali isn't good enough to be a front-line bowler but I'd keep him in the side purely on his batting and hope that he can offer a secondary spin option. Actually, I'd also leave Anderson at home for Finn, he looks a bit knackered. 

Hales doesn't look like a Test batsman at the moment but he's learning. I'd rather he gets another chance than throwing a young opener like Daniel Bell-Drummond or Haseeb Hameed into the fire.

Line-up something like this:

Cook
Hales
Ballance
Root
Ali
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Broad
Finn
Leach

Reserves: Dawid Malan, Sam Billings, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood

• 2 weeks later...

England smash 444-3 at Trent Bridge - the highest ODI total of all time by anybody.

In the process, Hales scored the highest-ever ODI total by an Englishman (171), and Buttler hit the fastest ever 50 by an Englishman (22 balls).

17 minutes ago, eddie said:

England smash 444-3 at Trent Bridge - the highest ODI total of all time by anybody.

In the process, Hales scored the highest-ever ODI total by an Englishman (171), and Buttler hit the fastest ever 50 by an Englishman (22 balls).

Are the rumours true that Buttler hit one into the shitty ground and Fawaz now has it up on eBay?

32 minutes ago, rynny said:

Are the rumours true that Buttler hit one into the shitty ground and Fawaz now has it up on eBay?

Some of the stats were amazing - Buttler had 1 off 7 balls, yet got 50 off 22. He had 21 balls he didn't score off, and bludgeoned 90 off the other 30.

Pakistan going like a train too - 45-1 off 6.

26 minutes ago, mozza said:

Hope Pakistan go all out for it , could be an entertaining couple of hours

111-5 now. They need another 40-odd to avoid the heaviest-ever defeat of all time (that includes teams like Afghanistan and Ireland getting thrapsed.

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, eddie said:

Was it Shane Warne who said we will soon see 500 scored in ODI innings... I think he's right!

Archived