England cricket 2016

froggg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy ripped them apart. All done and dusted - defeat by an nnings.

Anderson's match figures a staggering 10-45

11-88 the record at Leeds in 1961 the great Fred Truman.

Superb bowling performance by England, just need the boys with the bats to turn up, could be no 1 in the rankings again by the end of the year.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

To be fair, the conditions were not really favourable to the Sri Lankans. Perhaps they'll do better on a different ground and with the sun on their backs.

To be fair the conditions weren't right for us out in Sarf Africa, but we went there and done a job on em...:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, froggg said:

Looking great now for the win and Captain Cook is honoured in her maj's birthday list.

It's been a good series. Biggest plus points for me have been the form of Bairstow and Anderson and Moeen getting a big score.

I still worry about our lack of a true spinner and spots 2, 3 and 5 in the batting order. Personally I'd promote Bairstow to 5, go with Vince at 6, Stokes at 7 and Moeen at 8. Give Hales another shot and bring back Ballance to bat third.

Agreed on Compton, pretty sure we won't see him against Pakistan.

2 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

It's been a good series. Biggest plus points for me have been the form of Bairstow and Anderson and Moeen getting a big score.

I still worry about our lack of a true spinner and spots 2, 3 and 5 in the batting order. Personally I'd promote Bairstow to 5, go with Vince at 6, Stokes at 7 and Moeen at 8. Give Hales another shot and bring back Ballance to bat third.

On 11/06/2016 at 13:35, Posh Ram said:

Don't think no 2 is a problem for now. Hales has this nailed on at the moment - scores of 83, 86 and 94 mean he's the man in possession. A recall for Scott Borthwick might well be on the cards - he's been batting at No 3 for Durham and has a string of big hundreds this season. His leggies would ve useful too. Or maybe Root at 3 (the old adage about play your best batsman at 3).

58 minutes ago, eddie said:

Don't think no 2 is a problem for now. Hales has this nailed on at the moment - scores of 83, 86 and 94 mean he's the man in possession. A recall for Scott Borthwick might well be on the cards - he's been batting at No 3 for Durham and has a string of big hundreds this season. His leggies would ve useful too. Or maybe Root at 3 (the old adage about play your best batsman at 3).

I agree, Hales has been steadily growing into the role and he should keep it, it's definitely not as big a problem spot as 3 and 5. 

My worry with pushing Root up to play three is that he really struggled when opening in the past and only found for again when he went back to batting fifth. Perhaps on the same basis it would be unfair to throw Ballance in at three again, which really is a pressure spot. However I'm pretty sure Compton won't face another ball in test cricket.

The most likely outcome for the Pakistan series is probably what you're suggesting. Root batting third, Bairstow shifted up to bat 4 and then spots 5-8 filled (in an order yet to be determined) by Stokes, Ali and two of Vince, Ballance, Woakes and Borthwick. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived