Managerial merry go round 16/17

Day

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36435484

Roberto di Matteo named Aston Villa manager - Steve Clarke as assistant

Former Chelsea manager Roberto di Matteo has been appointed the new manager of Aston Villa.

The Italian succeeds Remi Garde, who was sacked in March before the club's relegation from the Premier League.

Di Matteo, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2012, will be assisted by former Blues team-mate Steve Clarke.

Villa were also linked with ex-Manchester United boss David Moyes and new Derby County manager Nigel Pearson, but Di Matteo was always first choice.

Dr Tony Xia, the Chinese businessman whose takeover of Villa is awaiting Football League and Premier League approval, is convinced Di Matteo will raise the West Midlands club's profile in the Championship.

The former West Brom and Schalke boss and Clarke, 52, have been out of management since last year.

The pair have never worked together in management but were Chelsea team-mates for two years.

49 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36435484

Roberto di Matteo named Aston Villa manager - Steve Clarke as assistant

Former Chelsea manager Roberto di Matteo has been appointed the new manager of Aston Villa.

The Italian succeeds Remi Garde, who was sacked in March before the club's relegation from the Premier League.

Di Matteo, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2012, will be assisted by former Blues team-mate Steve Clarke.

Villa were also linked with ex-Manchester United boss David Moyes and new Derby County manager Nigel Pearson, but Di Matteo was always first choice.

Dr Tony Xia, the Chinese businessman whose takeover of Villa is awaiting Football League and Premier League approval, is convinced Di Matteo will raise the West Midlands club's profile in the Championship.

The former West Brom and Schalke boss and Clarke, 52, have been out of management since last year.

The pair have never worked together in management but were Chelsea team-mates for two years.

Good appointments, especially Clarke as assistant. Villa are a team of ***** players so it's unlikely that anyone will reverse their fortunes in one season. Although it grieves me to say it, they may be strong promotion contenders in season 2017-18 

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Good appointments, especially Clarke as assistant. Villa are a team of ***** players so it's unlikely that anyone will reverse their fortunes in one season. Although it grieves me to say it, they may be strong promotion contenders in season 2017-18 

This would have been my first choice pairing for us... Both guys have championship experience, a relatively decent record and get teams playing decent football... 

3 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Derby now not the only Championship club with a Champions League winner in their midst.

Depends on the criteria. Still the only team with an active champions league winning player I think. 

Two managers who've won it as managers have come in, but there have been managers who won it as players (Karanka to name one). 

Koeman in talks with Everton. Not sure who is the bigger team now, them or Southampton. Okay Everton could cash in on Stones and Lukaku and somehow generate £100m but then they'd need to replace them and I dare say his team would still  be no better than Southampton's.

On 3.6.2016 at 12:33, Rample said:

Koeman in talks with Everton. Not sure who is the bigger team now, them or Southampton. Okay Everton could cash in on Stones and Lukaku and somehow generate £100m but then they'd need to replace them and I dare say his team would still  be no better than Southampton's.

At the moment they are pretty at similar level... But where Southampton is basicly selling club, Everton with the new owner should be opposite. And of course, big wage rise is always good bonus. Everton certainly have better opportunity to grow.

Archived