Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

did you not see Hull's first goal on Saturday?

Being the best defender at the club doesn't mean he's good enough to get promoted though does it? I'm the best defender in my back garden when playing football with my 11 year old godson lol!

He's already been promoted which y'know... might suggest he is! :lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He's already been promoted which y'know... might suggest he is! :lol::lol:

and the club he was promoted at has just been promoted more convincingly without him. Enough said.

I mentioned earlier, you can carry a weak defender, but not four.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

and the club he was promoted at has just been promoted more convincingly without him. Enough said.

Agree with you a little on this. Christie is good when he has confidence but any other time he looks like a pub defender, Keogh is consistent but has those horror moments occasionally. Olsson is good going forward but suspect defensively, at least we have Forsyth coming back from injury on that front. Shackell is a strange one. People have the perception that he is one of those defenders who gets 'stuck in' but more often than not it's his good positioning that lets him off. One thing that we do need though is a defender who can score regular from headers from set pieces. This has been a problem for years now.

38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

On average, we have conceded 0.98 goals per game this season, the fourth best in the league. Hardly the sign of a bad defence... In that case, surely we should be questioning the quality of the rest of our team, in that, we can't outscore the opposition when we're conceding less than one goal a game? That's suggestive more of a weak attack and not scoring enough as opposed to a weak defence. 

I can see Cyrus Christie moving to a Premier League club in summer and after Keogh's terrific season and Dyche's previous interest, I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave either. Shackell is the best defensive player in our team and played a large factor in our defensive record remaining so good. Olsson has been solid, if unspectacular, but offered a more defined offensive threat as opposed to Warnock. Forsyth was also largely solid until his injury.

None of those defenders are ''weak'', all are strong Championship players who should have been promoted. Our blip in form seems more linked to mentality rather than ability and for me if blame has to be cast, it lies more on our forwards and midfield, rather than defence. Martin by his own standards, has been more anonymous in a large portion of games this season and our wingers have gone missing too often. Had we had consistency from these players, we'd have won the league. 

The defence this season has been far more solid than in any previous season, including 13/14 yet we finished higher up the table and reached the Play-Off final then, which looks largely out of reach this season. Surely that tells you more about our attack rather than defence this season?

18 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

On average, we have conceded 0.98 goals per game this season, the fourth best in the league. Hardly the sign of a bad defence... In that case, surely we should be questioning the quality of the rest of our team, in that, we can't outscore the opposition when we're conceding less than one goal a game? That's suggestive more of a weak attack and not scoring enough as opposed to a weak defence. 

I can see Cyrus Christie moving to a Premier League club in summer and after Keogh's terrific season and Dyche's previous interest, I wouldn't be shocked to see him leave either. Shackell is the best defensive player in our team and played a large factor in our defensive record remaining so good. Olsson has been solid, if unspectacular, but offered a more defined offensive threat as opposed to Warnock. Forsyth was also largely solid until his injury.

None of those defenders are ''weak'', all are strong Championship players who should have been promoted. Our blip in form seems more linked to mentality rather than ability and for me if blame has to be cast, it lies more on our forwards and midfield, rather than defence. Martin by his own standards, has been more anonymous in a large portion of games this season and our wingers have gone missing too often. Had we had consistency from these players, we'd have won the league. 

The defence this season has been far more solid than in any previous season, including 13/14 yet we finished higher up the table and reached the Play-Off final then, which looks largely out of reach this season. Surely that tells you more about our attack rather than defence this season?

When I mention Weakness, I am obviously talking about mentally. Each of our players has obvious ability and all the skill required to do the job, sadly there is a percentage of success that is in the head. We do not have it, this is indisputable for me, and not just in defence. BUT, a strong midfield and attack can not carry an weak defence, but a strong defence can carry a whole team in my opinion.

You are right in so much as our stats put our players as better than most, but sadly those stats, which are against average championship teams cannot be used in relevance to what is required to be the elite at this level.

When it matters most, we are wanting, and good performances and statistics against lesser sides count for nothing when it comes to playing the teams who achieve success.

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

Clough will be looking for players now. Bucko to be Captain of Burton?

Lee Naylor was a great signing for him.

Some U21 releases may go to Burton, Championship side after all.

Bucko would be perfect for captain of burton, an absolutely excellent re-signing for them and he would get that first team football he needs.

Our back 4 is shaky against the better teams, I've seen better goalkeeping on the local park than what we saw from Carson for the first and third goals on Saturday. We're ok against the lower teams but put them up against a decent side they look very suspect (Burnley away, keogh heading into his own net, shackell giving away penalites.. Boro away, Hull in the away game had plenty of chances, Hull playoff game, Manure FA Cup, Rotherham away was a shambles)... I'm actually glad this back 4 wont be in the prem next season, could easily concede a 100 goals imo. 

But we need to get rid before buying

29 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

Bucko would be perfect for captain of burton, an absolutely excellent re-signing for them and he would get that first team football he needs.

Would Burton be able to match his wages? I doubt he's on a big figure but I also doubt Burton can afford to match many championship players' wages. Also would Buxton want more guarantee that he'll be playing in the same division in 2 or 3 seasons? Must be a chance of one of the other championship clubs looking at him as an option.

Personally I'd love him to stay. I think he's an asset to the club. It's no coincidence that our best spells have been with him in the 11 and it's gone downhill when he's been out.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

When I mention Weakness, I am obviously talking about mentally. Each of our players has obvious ability and all the skill required to do the job, sadly there is a percentage of success that is in the head. We do not have it, this is indisputable for me, and not just in defence. BUT, a strong midfield and attack can not carry an weak defence, but a strong defence can carry a whole team in my opinion.

You are right in so much as our stats put our players as better than most, but sadly those stats, which are against average championship teams cannot be used in relevance to what is required to be the elite at this level.

When it matters most, we are wanting, and good performances and statistics against lesser sides count for nothing when it comes to playing the teams who achieve success.

Wasn't that the exact scenario that occured in the 13/14 season?

I agree in regards to mentality, another meltdown cost us promotion despite a resurgence in form recently, we've left it too late and then bottled it in the play-offs (barring a remarkable result tomorrow evening). However, I don't think that's specific to the defence, the whole team dropped off at the same time. Whether this is due to lack of experience within the squad, comapare the age of our players to Burnley for example or the lack of a distinct leader remains to be seen but is an issue that needs to be addressed otherwise we'll never get out of this division.

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Would Burton be able to match his wages? I doubt he's on a big figure but I also doubt Burton can afford to match many championship players' wages. Also would Buxton want more guarantee that he'll be playing in the same division in 2 or 3 seasons? Must be a chance of one of the other championship clubs looking at him as an option.

Personally I'd love him to stay. I think he's an asset to the club. It's no coincidence that our best spells have been with him in the 11 and it's gone downhill when he's been out.

I'm not sure, though i'd think for buxton, would he not take a slight wage decline to be playing regularly at a club he once was at? One where he could be guaranteed 1st team football and a chance to prove himself at this level?

While i'd also love for him to stay here, he needs 1st team football, and its obvious he isnt the kind of player who will be happy to sit on the bench and collect his wages. Then again, I suppose if other championship clubs are looking at him then he would have options, but at Burton he would surely get the 1st team football he needs, whereas if he went to another current championship club, he may not be first choice?

PistoldPete2

Bucko is 31 and has one year left on his contract. I would like to keep him on, but I think a decision will probably need to be made this summer whether to offer an extension or to sell. 

I dont want to buy another pointless player, I think our recruitment has been dire over this season.

Alex Pearce is still on the books so will we pay £2.5 for Handley from Blackburn?!?!

Doesnt fill me with confidence.

I have been a fan of Farrend Rawson for years now, a true hard if in doubt kick it out centre back who has done well on loan. He should be given a chance before we waste money on players who dont want to be at the club for no other reason than to get paid

39 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I think you're reading too much into it, Dale.

Alan Nixon: Derby shipping goals in a vital PO semi + Blackburn shedding players = must need a new centre half in Grant Hanley

23 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

BUT if you do wish to take him seriously..

@jgwharris Redknapp already looking at players. Not sure what his role will be. Club needs a manager and a chief scout too.

I have taken it with a pinch of salt but my point stands, why buy a player who wont start when we have Albentosa/Pearce/Shotton on the books to further diminish the chances of a great prospect in Rawson

12 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

I have taken it with a pinch of salt but my point stands, why buy a player who wont start when we have Albentosa/Pearce/Shotton on the books to further diminish the chances of a great prospect in Rawson

Albentosa has virtually been sold, price agreed and everything. Shotton will be bought by Blouse. Pearce will be bought too. I believe all agreements were in place as part of loan moves.

Shackell is old and bad. Keogh is better but the biggest bottler we have. The defence do a nice job against bad championship teams but they never step up against good opposition. For me, the full-backs are alright.

14 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

On that note, I wouldn't mind shedding Shackell and Keogh and starting Hanley/a new CB alongside one of Pearce or Albentosa next year. Neither were given a proper chance by Clement. Pearce has had good seasons in the Championship before and looked alright for Reading in the Premier League.

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Albentosa has virtually been sold, price agreed and everything. Shotton will be bought by Blouse. Pearce will be bought too. I believe all agreements were in place as part of loan moves.

We shall see, hopefully we can recoup some cash but I doubt highly we will break even

7 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Shackell is old and bad. Keogh is better but the biggest bottler we have. The defence do a nice job against bad championship teams but they never step up against good opposition. For me, the full-backs are alright.

On that note, I wouldn't mind shedding Shackell and Keogh and starting Hanley/a new CB alongside one of Pearce or Albentosa next year. Neither were given a proper chance by Clement. Pearce has had good seasons in the Championship before and looked alright for Reading in the Premier League.

So you'd rather have Hanley and Albentosa at the back than Keogh and Shackel... crazy

6 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

We shall see, hopefully we can recoup some cash but I doubt highly we will break even

So you'd rather have Hanley and Albentosa at the back than Keogh and Shackel... crazy

Pearce was a free agent, Shotton was peanuts, and Albentosa (IIRC) was c€1m - if we don't get at least £1.5m for all three then someone at the club deserves a slap.

Archived