Roy has seen sense

Day

Roy hasn't seen sense.

Andros Townsend is a garbage footballer destined to play in the lower Premier League/higher Championship for the rest of his career. If he'd come through the ranks in a club outside the top 6 he'd never play for England. Despite what people say about Walcott, he's by far the better option and has done just as much as in an England shirt as Wilshire has to bizarrely justify a pick. If not him, then Antonio or Zaha have both had a decent time of it recently. Even ******* Albrighton.

Fabian Delph and Jack Wilshire have been injured all season and aren't ready to play, particularly when there are other CM's like Mark Noble who've had a top campaign. Why have your back up CM's, players who are meant to be covering a player if he's unfit, be unfit themselves? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Roy hasn't seen sense.

Andros Townsend is a garbage footballer destined to play in the lower Premier League/higher Championship for the rest of his career. If he'd come through the ranks in a club outside the top 6 he'd never play for England. Despite what people say about Walcott, he's by far the better option and has done just as much as in an England shirt as Wilshire has to bizarrely justify a pick. If not him, then Antonio or Zaha have both had a decent time of it recently. Even ******* Albrighton.

Fabian Delph and Jack Wilshire have been injured all season and aren't ready to play, particularly when there are other CM's like Mark Noble who've had a top campaign. Why have your back up CM's, players who are meant to be covering a player if he's unfit, be unfit themselves? 

Are you alright?

14 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Roy hasn't seen sense.

I agree - all of these sorts of gambles down the years seem to fall flat on their faces.

Robson 1986 - re-popped his shoulder out in match 2

Beckham 2002 - not match fit and daren't get challenged

King 2010 - lasted about half a match and was then knackered and didn't play again

Rooney 2012 - not fit after injury, turned bright purple after running for about 10 mins when he came on

FFS roy - take players who are tuned up ready to play and who are properly match fit. He should be canning Delph, Sterling, Henderson, Wilshere and casting a critical eye over Rooney etc to make sure they are up to a tournament.

Of course, all the usual tried and failed will be there - the players who "haven't let Roy down" against Estonia, Lithuania and San Marino....

Harry Kane and Dele Alli will be mentally shot after the failure to win the prem, the mental energy exerted from being in such a pressure cooker of trying to win a premiership title will have taken its toll... a bit different for Vardy and Drinkwater in that they won it and might be playing on cloud 9, but then again it could work the other way as well in that they might also be feeling the effects of a long battle. I'd be tempted to leave Kane and Alli at home tbh, if their heads aren't right they'd just be hindering our chances, and judging by their late season meltdown I'd say their mentally shot.

Mark Noble....... Rolls eyes, an distinctly average footballer whose getting plaudits for having a couple consistent and non world beating seasons at West Ham. 

Agree sentiments on Delph and Wilshire not being there..... But I'm quite happy with that England squad.

Totally agree Rashford over Defoe. Defoe is in the Andy Cole/Ian Wright bracket for me, top player at club level but flatters to deceive at international level.

Begs belief that people want him in, he's from the "golden" generation that never happened and people want to go back there.

Its a pretty fresh, young hungry squad apart from two I mentioned.  Think they need to go in with a underdog mentality..... Defensively we are going to concede a few, but think we'll score plenty too.

Fancy them for semis...... No one country stands out this time.

Has anyone actually watch Rashford play? He's had 10 games in his professional career and only turned up for half of them. It beggars belief that he's in the 26. When will our national managers learn that they aren't building a club side? It is not up to England to give young players experience. England should be taking the best available.

1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Think its right to have Rashford as an unknown quantity.

Why? How can this possibly be a good thing? Do you imagine that opposition defences will decide to go easy because Rashford is 18? Roy has had two years to look over the talent available. If he's picking an unknown quantity at this stage he's simply admitting that he hasn't done his job properly.

26 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Mark Noble....... Rolls eyes, an distinctly average footballer whose getting plaudits for having a couple consistent and non world beating seasons at West Ham. 

Agree sentiments on Delph and Wilshire not being there..... But I'm quite happy with that England squad.

Totally agree Rashford over Defoe. Defoe is in the Andy Cole/Ian Wright bracket for me, top player at club level but flatters to deceive at international level.

Begs belief that people want him in, he's from the "golden" generation that never happened and people want to go back there.

Its a pretty fresh, young hungry squad apart from two I mentioned.  Think they need to go in with a underdog mentality..... Defensively we are going to concede a few, but think we'll score plenty too.

Fancy them for semis...... No one country stands out this time.

Defoe has a goal every 53 minutes at International level. Without researching it, I'd guess that is probably better than Messi and Ronaldo, and maybe Aguero, and definitely Rooney. He was never considered part of the golden generation (2002/2006).

As for Noble, you should never judge a player by the team he plays in. He's played against most of the England squad this season and outplayed the lot of them. It was in both of our lifetimes that England's best 2 tournaments (Italia 90, and Euro 96), that the squad consisted of Derby, Forest, QPR, Sheff Weds, Villa etc players who were good in a team.

7 minutes ago, Anon said:

Why? How can this possibly be a good thing? Do you imagine that opposition defences will decide to go easy because Rashford is 18? Roy has had two years to look over the talent available. If he's picking an unknown quantity at this stage he's simply admitting that he hasn't done his job properly.

Easy? No.

Will they know what he's about? Probably not.

Will Roy know what he's about? Of course he will.

He's as good an option as any of them underneath Kane, Vardy, Sturridge.

Who else is there? Carroll? No ta.

This isn't the final squad either. That's not til May 31. 

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Defoe has a goal every 53 minutes at International level. Without researching it, I'd guess that is probably better than Messi and Ronaldo, and maybe Aguero, and definitely Rooney. He was never considered part of the golden generation (2002/2006).

As for Noble, you should never judge a player by the team he plays in. He's played against most of the England squad this season and outplayed the lot of them. It was in both of our lifetimes that England's best 2 tournaments (Italia 90, and Euro 96), that the squad consisted of Derby, Forest, QPR, Sheff Weds, Villa etc players who were good in a team.

Tell me where Defoe has stood out for England? I can think of a winner against Slovenia and that's about it. To compare him to Messi and Ronaldo is absolutely laughable. That's why I'm not a stat man.

As for Noble...... I can't recall one game this season where he's "outplayed" anyone, agree he's a consistent sort, but you really think he's international class? I think if he was he would have been picked long before. Will agree with you on Wilshire/Delph front.

The best reason to justify picking players like Noble, Antonio, Defoe, Carroll and Albrighton, imo, is that they're playing for teams in a similar predicament as England at this tournament. If you play for Man City, Chelsea or Man U, you'll have limited experience of the going getting tough, having to claw back from 1-0 down, playing on the counter, etc.

I think the squad could definitely have been better and I'm not convinced with some of the guys Woy's picked, but I'm glad players like Drinkwater and Rose got recognised at the same time. I reckon Rashford, Delph and (fingers crossed) one of Henderson or Wilshere will be cut from the final squad.

Hard job. If you went on form alone a lot of those players wouldn't be in the squad but you can't throw in lots of new faces and expect it all to click both on and off the pitch. England have a limited number of games throughout the season, you need to have some kind of consistency with the squad. 

Tournament football you spend loads of time just hanging around hotels, you need to have those off the pitch friendships to keep the players happy, even Mel spoke about it when players sign for Derby, could be Messi but if his personality doesn't fit off the pitch it just won't work.

This is why for me Rashford should go, he won't start, and I doubt you will find one person that thinks he should but neither would Defoe or Carroll, but he's more than capable if called upon, being at United helps as he will know the captain and Smalling well which will help integrate him into the squad. By time the World Cup rolls round he will be 20 and if he lives up to the hype being there this summer will help no end.

Defoe is a great striker, one of the best finishers you will see but his time has been and gone, he's almost 34, we have nothing to gain really by taking him as we need to look towards the future. Carroll another that has been mentioned, absolute donkey, see the one on one he had the other week? great if we're lumping balls into the box but that's not us. 

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Here's another one:

Kelechi Ihenhacho 

Should be in the squad on name alone. And he's done more than Rashford.

Hello Harry, not sure how Nigeria would feel about that

Archived