Roy has seen sense

Day

MARCUS RASHFORD will be given a shock chance to train with England before Euro 2016.

The Manchester United striker has scored seven goals already in his breakthrough season at Old Trafford.

And the Reds ace, 18, could force his way into Roy Hodgson’s final 23 after being invited to mix in with the senior squad following United’s FA Cup final against Crystal Palace on Saturday

England are a striker short since Arsenal’s Danny Welbeck was ruled out for nine months through injury last week.

Hodgson is already certain to pick skipper Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane up front.

But now he must make a decision on his final striker after Welbeck’s latest setback.

Three Lions coach Hodgson names his Euro squad on Monday and Rashford will not be on that provisional list.

He cannot play against Turkey on May 22 because of the Cup Final — but if he is picked for England’s friendly with Australia at Sunderland on May 27, there is a chance he could still make it on the plane to France.

Hodgson must lodge his squad with Uefa on May 31, which means Rashford would have the one chance against the Aussies to make an impression.

Rashford, who earns £1,500 a week and a £5,000 bonus for each appearance at United, has already been earmarked for the Under-21s but Hodgson wants to take a closer look at him.

England play Turkey at the Etihad the day after the Cup Final before a week in Manchester ahead of the Australia game

https://apple.news/Afkr6IZfuRquFCfiOptV_VA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Defoe retired from internationals? If not I would be picking him instead - he's scored almost double the amount of goals in the league that Rooney and Sturridge have managed to get for themselves this year and that's with a crappy team fighting relegation.

Nice situation to have after what seemed like years of having a broken Michael Owen, Rooney and Peter Crouch to call on.

5 hours ago, needles said:

Nice situation to have after what seemed like years of having a broken Michael Owen, Rooney and Peter Crouch to call on.

Backed up by emile heskey. 

I still have nightmares about him being brought on by capello in 2010 wc against Germany. 

Now that was a cluster***k of a squad 

On 5/14/2016 at 16:30, GenBr said:

Is Defoe retired from internationals? If not I would be picking him instead - he's scored almost double the amount of goals in the league that Rooney and Sturridge have managed to get for themselves this year and that's with a crappy team fighting relegation.

Heard Defoe on the radio yesterday saying he's never been selected for a tournament and would love the chance. I'd pick him.

Rashford was always going to get the nod ahead of the likes of Defoe, and Noble/Antonion were always going to be ignored. Big team bias. 

Having said that, the only person I'm genuinely unhappy with the inclusion of is Sterling. Maybe Rooney too, because it means he's probably going to play ahead of better players.

Some shade thrown at Rooney? Not sure which other attackers are on a "perch". Maybe Sterling I guess.

3 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Wilshere? Delph? Sterling?

There are players that have done more this season.

Noble/Defoe and maybe even Antonio all showing that because you play for Arsenal or Man City, youre good enough to be in a team which wont get past the group stages.

Delp was getting called up when he played for Villa.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Some shade thrown at Rooney? Not sure which other attackers are on a "perch". Maybe Sterling I guess.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If they were in the squad, Chris Eagles and Darren Peacock could be knocked off their perch. :lol:

Archived