Sky does love us

SaintRam

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

will we overtake Leicester?

Don't think so, the article says it has scheduled TV games in it. 

Sith Happens

Leciester only ramped up because on everyweek at end of season. Its amazing Man United still get shown as much considering they have been an also ran for a few years now.

I am sure others will know but there is still a bit of a Derby gang at Sky Sports that stemmed from Treavor East's time there. 

Pity it doesn't spill over to the pundits though. ! 

BT getting some of the premiership rights has been a blessing for the championship. Sky have absolutely hammered showing championship football due to not having the monopoly on the prem. Its been decent for armchair fans 

On 11/05/2016 at 19:21, G-Ram said:

BT getting some of the premiership rights has been a blessing for the championship. Sky have absolutely hammered showing championship football due to not having the monopoly on the prem. Its been decent for armchair fans 

Think it is more that they don't have Champions league games any more.

On 5/11/2016 at 17:39, JoetheRam said:

How has it been a disappointing season? If you offered any club in the Championship play-offs at the start of the year they'd bite your hand off. If they don't then their expectations need lowering.

I've not been controversial for a while so here goes :-)

Any team that spent 24m quid would have been lambasted for not getting closer to the auto spots.

*****Random fact*****

Derby County alone spent more than the entire second division clubs of France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Holland COMBINED.

Clements sacking was very well timed cos bringing in Wass took all the heat off the money spent.

Before anyone takes my head off, I've got everything crossed that the PO's result in a successful season, but to say it's been a success finishing 5th "just" 15 points off automatic, with the money spent and the quality of the squad available is a real stretch.

1 minute ago, ronnieronalde said:

Any team that spent 27m quid would have been lambasted for not getting closer to the auto spots.

*****Random fact*****

Derby County alone spent more than the entire second division clubs of France, Italy, Spain, Germany and Holland COMBINED.

Clements sacking was very well timed cos bringing in Wass took all the heat off the money spent.

Before anyone takes my head off, I've got everything crossed that the PO's result in a successful season, but to say it's been a success finishing 5th "just" 15 points off automatic, with the money spent and the quality of the squad available is a real stretch.

The thing that many people forget is that £10m of that was spent to replace the injured Hughes and Bryson. If neither of those were injured then I doubt Johnson and Butterfield would have been signed. And the you could argue why every player was bought, with the exception of 1 of the last 2 players, Camara and Blackman, only 1 was potentially required.

As for the last part, you have to take everything in to consideration, I was expecting a run at the automatics this season before a ball was kicked, but within 30 mins of the first game I would have accepted a top 6 finish, regardless of how much money was spent. Losing Hughes and Bryson affected us more than we realised, and it took time for the new players and replacements to settle in. I was surprised when we reached top 2, not only with the new manager, and squad but also with how we were playing. There was a spark missing. and to be "just" 15 points off automatics after having so many poor performances this season is actually quite an achievement.

19 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Any team that spent 24m quid would have been lambasted for not getting closer to the auto spots.

*****Random fact*****

The media coverage, size/fame of some of the clubs that compete there and (I'm no expert in foreign second divisions) I'd imagine the quality/competitiveness mean that that stat probably isn't in reality, that surprising. 

Any club in the Championship could win the play-offs and feasibly hope to compete in the Premier League the next season, so players are more likely to sign for daft fees in the Championship. There's simply a lot more money involved in the English game at all levels than there is in other countries. Some clubs in the lower positions in the European leagues would likely struggle to get above mid-table in the Championship.

The only thing we're guilty of is not investing such huge amounts of money wisely. Camara and Blackman were panic buys with inflated price tags as a result, and given that half our midfield was injured within the space of 2 weeks you could probably throw in Johnson and Butterfield (however good they are) into the panic-buy category. The only player who's showed signs of justifying their price tag so far for me, is Tom Ince. 

5 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

The only thing we're guilty of is not investing such huge amounts of money wisely. Camara and Blackman were panic buys with inflated price tags as a result, and given that half our midfield was injured within the space of 2 weeks you could probably throw in Johnson and Butterfield (however good they are) into the panic-buy category. The only player who's showed signs of justifying their price tag so far for me, is Tom Ince. 

And Shackell

19 minutes ago, rynny said:

The thing that many people forget is that £10m of that was spent to replace the injured Hughes and Bryson. If neither of those were injured then I doubt Johnson and Butterfield would have been signed. And the you could argue why every player was bought, with the exception of 1 of the last 2 players, Camara and Blackman, only 1 was potentially required.

Clement always said that we were in for one more midfielder before Hughes and Bryson ended up getting injured, the midfielder in question being Butterfield. 

There's no two ways about it, our transfer policy this season has been nothing short of abysmal. 

We supposedly spent so much to guarantee what happened last season wouldn't happen again and we'd not suffer do to cover to key injuries. Nine months on and we find ourselves discussing which of our advanced midfielders is going to have to play as the defensive midfielder because Thorne's injured! 

We don't have any natural cover for Martin either, whose injury signalled the beginning of our collapse this season! 

Of the signings we did make, it was clear early on that most didn't fit. We signed Weimann, only for Clement to state three months later that he can't play out wide! So why did we sign him?! 

Thank God I've got to nip out now or else this rant would be about four times longer than it already is!

15 minutes ago, cannable said:

Clement always said that we were in for one more midfielder before Hughes and Bryson ended up getting injured, the midfielder in question being Butterfield. 

There's no two ways about it, our transfer policy this season has been nothing short of abysmal. 

We supposedly spent so much to guarantee what happened last season wouldn't happen again and we'd not suffer do to cover to key injuries. Nine months on and we find ourselves discussing which of our advanced midfielders is going to have to play as the defensive midfielder because Thorne's injured! 

We don't have any natural cover for Martin either, whose injury signalled the beginning of our collapse this season! 

Of the signings we did make, it was clear early on that most didn't fit. We signed Weimann, only for Clement to state three months later that he can't play out wide! So why did we sign him?! 

Thank God I've got to nip out now or else this rant would be about four times longer than it already is!

I have been through it before, player by player and you could understand the reasoning behind each signing, except one of the last 2.

I vaguely remember PC coming out with something like that after we had signed them both but we wouldn't had signed both. Maybe should have highlighted/emphasised the 'and' part, but we were not linked to any centre mid until mid August (only Dale Stephens and Butterfield were mentioned) other than a small piece that had our name chucked in for Barry Bannan as an added to get more interest in the story.

EDIT: we have added players to cover those injuries, Baird and Johnson were DM under studies as was Hanson. Martin has back up of Bent, Weimann and Blackman. Weimann was a replacement for Ward, an attacker that has played through the centre and out wide, PC's comments were just bizarre as Weimann had spent pretty much the 2 whole previous seasons mainly as a wide man.

Archived