With the benefit of hindsight...

Rampage

With the benefit of hindsight.... which three players who played in the Football League this season could we have signed that would have given us the best chance of winning the Championship this year?  Assume that they would have come to Derby and played the style that fitted in with us, so I do not include Andre Gray because he scored so many goals but because he could and would have played successfully in our team plan. My suggestions:-  Joey Barton (Burnley), Andre Gray (Burnley), Clayton (Boro)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 - George Friend. Think he would have been the ideal replacement when Forsyth got injured. Warnock defended well but disrupted the balance in my opinion.

2 - Ross McCormack. Once again proved he will get goals at this level.

3 - Andre Gray. Some proper competition for Chris Martin.

I doubt Grey would have made a lot of difference. He is very quick and a goal scorer bit I suspect Championship might be his limit .. I honestly reckon that Clement ( and I liked his honesty ) slowed us down and tried to make us play a type sophisticated football that we weren't capable of playing consistently. 

Our squad with a management that played to our strengths could have won us the league by now. 

Kodija - There's the Martin type player, 6'2 scores goals

Friend - Best LB in the league by a country mile

Mccormack - can play anywhere, CF, AM or out wide...scores for fun in a poor side, imagine the impact he'd have had here, always thought he was "the one that got away" when we went for Camara and Blackman instead.

17 hours ago, Rampage said:

In fairness, if Will Hughes, George Thorne and Craig Bryson had remained fit throughout the season , we may have won the Championship.

Are we suggesting that had Thorne been fit last season we'd have maybe won the Championship too? 

What about the year before when all three were fit and playing? How come we didn't win the Championship? 

I rate all three of them. I also rate Jeff, BJ and Butters. Especially BJ. Who doesn't like a BJ? I also look at this season as a whole and see that our keeper and defenders have been mainly the most consistent players for us. Keogh will be POTS. Deservedly so, even if I did vote for Christie myself in the end. And even Martin, JR and Ince have had what I'd call decent, productive seasons overall. All have been a bit patchy, barring the backline. There was a period of about two months where Butterfield looked the best player every week. Johnson absolutely bossed it in his first dozen games or so. So it's been a real team effort over the season to get to this point. Only a very few have failed to deliver, and I'm not sure they've had a genuine, fair crack of the whip. 

Thorne on his day is as good as you'll get at this level. Bryson brings an energy and appetite to proceedings. Hughes is Hughes. They are indeed a trio to treasure. For different reasons. And so they are an ideal midfield three in this system we play. Maybe we would have done as you suggest, and won the title with them fit all season? Maybe I didn't need to post this because I've got to this point of my post and started to agree......? :D

I'll reserve judgment until tomorrow evening after seeing how the three fare against a good Brighton side.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I didn't need to post this because I've got to this point of my post and started to agree......? :D

Everyone agrees with me in the end, Warren Hobhead. some quickly and others more slowly. Some take an eternity, which is a very long time, especially towards the end. If we do get promoted, this month will seem to last a long time.

Warren Agonisingtime :thumbsup: Warren Importantgamecomingup. :o Warren Afternoonfixture. :)

39 minutes ago, Srg said:

All 3 went to the Premier League. Not sure we had a massive chance. 

Oh, was it supposed to be realistic? My mistake.

Jamie Ward, Ben Pringle, err, thats plenty.

44 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Are we suggesting that had Thorne been fit last season we'd have maybe won the Championship too?

We would have done a hell of a lot better with him fit last season, the main reason we failed was lack of having any cover to our defence.

Archived