Brighton and Hove Albion v Derby County

eddie

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their goalkeeper caused chaos for their goal. Bucko went on is arrisonius and three Derby players were crashing into each other. Their guy headed the ball down to nowhere, Olsson headed it to Wilson who hit it against Butterfield's chest and it looped over Shackell. Freakish goal but fair play to them. Brighton are rock hard to beat.

Defensively solid, midfield were excellent, front three a little disappointing. We were getting ourselves in some great positions but the final pass or cross too often gave the ball away; a little more care and I'm sure we would have scored more. Hughes was absolutely brilliant.

All in all a very encouraging away performance given the context of the game.

A word too for Weimann, took his goal very well and hope it gives him the confidence if required in the next three or four games.

Thought Brighton played some good football in the first 25 but really annoyed me with their constant moaning and diving around throughout. Second half we really got on top of them and they looked very ordinary. Didn't see their equaliser coming tbh but they were threatening all game with set pieces. Harsh to blame anyone for their goal, one of those things.

Didn't understand why they celebrated so much at equalising - a point for them was no different to a loss in terms of what it means for their final game.

Glad we confirmed 5th or higher ahead of the final game.

All in all, a good day's work. Well done to all.

PistoldPete2
58 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Defensively solid, midfield were excellent, front three a little disappointing. We were getting ourselves in some great positions but the final pass or cross too often gave the ball away; a little more care and I'm sure we would have scored more. Hughes was absolutely brilliant.

A word too for Weimann, took his goal very well and hope it gives him the confidence if required in the next three or four games.

Thought Brighton played some good football in the first 25 but really annoyed me with their constant moaning and diving around throughout. Second half we really got on top of them and they looked very ordinary. Didn't see their equaliser coming tbh but they were threatening all game with set pieces. Harsh to blame anyone for their goal, one of those things.

Didn't understand why they celebrated so much at equalising - a point for them was no different to a loss in terms of what it means for their final game.

bang on. Weimann looked really fired up after he scored, good that he and bent have scored in the last two games, we need the subs to be on fire too. My chance that Blackman can get one too? 

Just got back from the game after a detour home from Brighton to visit friends. I thought Wassall would start today with our strongest eleven right now & he did. We were really excellent today & so very well organised. We comfortably contained Brighton in the first half & we combined that with some good domination in the second half. Against clearly a very good side, we probably as a team gave one of our best performances of the season. Will Hughes was outstanding & boy have we missed him this season. We mustn't either forget Jason Shackell foresight with the Knockaert free kick, at the last minute he knew where that ball was going. Had that goal gone in the game might have played out very differently. The first goal was vital, just a shame we couldn't hang on to the win after Dunks dismissal, to concede with the last kick of the game was disappointing. But I suppose we did nearly the same to Brighton with that Chris Martin penalty in the last few minutes to equalise at the iPro last December.

But more importantly I came away from the Amex really believing that if we can play like that over the three games in the Play Offs we can beat anybody, I'm not sure that I truly believed that before today based on the sometimes up & down season we've had. As for Brighton, well who knows we could well meet them again at Wembley in the Play Off Final, which after today no longer causes me great concern thankfully, we can still beat them. But of course Brighton have with that mighty game at Boro on Saturday two chances of winning promotion this season, where we unfortunately only have one. COYR

9 hours ago, hiltonram said:

Loving our midfield now, best in the division.

Looking hard to beat again. Bring on Hull.

Let's not get too carried away about our midfield after today, NOW one of the best I would say.

6 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

It's not that hard to understand why Brighton celebrated their last minute equalising goal the way they did. Because it kept their 13 game unbeaten run going. Had they gone to that huge promotion deciding game on Saturday at Boro on the back of a defeat it could well have severely dented their confidence. You can't argue that we wouldn't have done exactly the same at the iPro if we were in their position.

12 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

Watched the game on tv,took advantage of rewind, pause,etc. Why is no one on here  mentioning the fact that we played crap against 10 men. That our best player was Shackell who saved a certain goal and made some crucial interventions. Brighton have a good manager who will see them through,Knockhart was MOM.Burnley after being relegated are promoted again,we won,t make it. Sorry and all that but too much unfounded optimism on here. We were not that good.

Top trolling..... I'm proud of this post, I should follow you on sausageter

28 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Top trolling..... I'm proud of this post, I should follow you on sausageter

If he was a deer I'd stalk him.

3 hours ago, TETRA said:

It's not that hard to understand why Brighton celebrated their last minute equalising goal the way they did. Because it kept their 13 game unbeaten run going. Had they gone to that huge promotion deciding game on Saturday at Boro on the back of a defeat it could well have severely dented their confidence. You can't argue that we wouldn't have done exactly the same at the iPro if we were in their position.

I can, and I will. A win would have left them needing a draw at Boro, whereas a defeat or draw leaves them needing to win the game. Be pleased you didn't lose, but the supporters (and Sky pundits) were celebrating like they'd won the league when in reality it wasn't a great result for them at all.

11 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I can, and I will. A win would have left them needing a draw at Boro, whereas a defeat or draw leaves them needing to win the game. Be pleased you didn't lose, but the supporters (and Sky pundits) were celebrating like they'd won the league when in reality it wasn't a great result for them at all.

No of course I forgot your right we wouldn't have celebrated getting an equaliser at the iPro with virtually the last kick of the game at all under the same circumstances, how very stupid of me, & as for the Sky pundits they don't like us anyway.

30 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I can, and I will. A win would have left them needing a draw at Boro, whereas a defeat or draw leaves them needing to win the game. Be pleased you didn't lose, but the supporters (and Sky pundits) were celebrating like they'd won the league when in reality it wasn't a great result for them at all.

Well, it makes a change from us dissecting every goal celebration we have..... I'm sure Ince sulked just sitting there on bench wondering it should have him that scored, Bent felt a little isolated too as it was another sub that scored instead of him.....

And as for Wassall smirking. The man should not be celebrating 

16 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Weird isn't it? I see absolutely no point in blaming anyone for that goal. S*** happens. Their keeper looked to have bowled a few of our players over, Olsson tried to clear, the shot was hit with pace and deflects off Butters who'd tried to cover the post but ended up blocking Carson and in it went. Harsh to criticise any of them. At least it came in a game with little riding on it. I'm enthused by today. If others fancy a moan, crack on.

18 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Poor, slow, lethargic display. Hughes and Shackell decent, that's about it. Still in it though somehow.

You must have fancied a moan at half time.

6 hours ago, SKRam said:

....and most importantly.... Why do the commentators pronounce his name Kerrrr-nockaert. I don't say It's a Kerrrr-nockout.... Well I don't say that at all now

Ah, well, there's an episode of Morse where Lewis looks at the casette of some Wagner stuff in Morse's car.

Lewis: 'Conducted by Knappertsbusch' (as in nappers)

Morse, condescendingly: 'Actually, Lewis, we pronounce it Kerr-nappertsbusch'

In a much later (obviously) episode of Lewis, Lewis turns the tables on the erudite Hatherway by saying 'Actually, we pronounce it Kerr-nappertsbusch'

So there you have it. Perhaps the linguists will help us out.

Looks like Wassall did pretty much exactly the right thing against Brighton. We gave an excellent account of ourselves, escaped injuries and kept our run going. Very attacking substitutes and two from the U21s. Guy and Mitchell are consistently very good players. 

It is becoming obvious that Wassall is a lot better than we thought. I am surprised that Mel has not done more to keep tabs on 'Arry as his influence can be described as very good to amazing.

My only concern about the team now is that first Bannan and then Knockaert could not be tamed and I wonder if Hanson, Johnson or eventually, a new signing like Barton will be needed to solve that. If we had let an early goal in I am not sure what our reaction would have been.

When you look at our bench, not much has been done wrong in the signings that we have made.It is a formidable Championship squad. Welcome back Warnock and Baird, both excellent professionals. Pearce was never given a chance but was a free. Shotton, also agood guy, needs to move on.

Great progress by Wassall in dealing with incredibly difficult to fix circumstances in this time frame.

Derby County are a very happy ship. Well done to Mel for changing things and taking whatever criticism came his way. He took the pressure right off Wassall. It is paying off because we have what we want, a very attractive footballing team.

Archived