OUR NEXT MANAGER

plymouthram

It's tricky isn't it?

I like Karl Robinson from MK Dons, a realistic appointment who plays the right way, isn't scared of giving youngsters a chance, is media friendly and who has the development potential to grow with the club.

He's also just been relegated from our division, having played anti football against us in Wassall's first game in charge to win (admitting they'd changed their style to counter us) and losing against us earlier in the season despite them dominating the game!

I can't compute why, and I know it's not logical, but if we were to stay down I'd rather see him in our dugout next season than Wassall, despite how well he's done since taking over.

I liked Wassall as a player for us, and don't for one minute think he got the job as an old family friend of the chairman, but I just can't see being a long term success as our manager.

Maybe it's the Redknapp effect, but I just cannot envisige him being a successful manager.

I wish I knew why, feel free to rip this post apart and call me disloyal, although I've never called him on here (I think), I'm enjoying the football right now, and hope we'll go up, I just don't see him sustaining it.

Sorry.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

Press: what if Sam has a differing opinion? 

Mel: good, well I ask him which way he thinks it should be done, we get down to it and then we talk about it for about 20 seconds, and then I cut him off and tell him to get out and make me a cuppa"..

...stirred with a sausage.

4 hours ago, loughboroughRAM said:

dunno why but really don't want Wassall permanently - not even a Wassall hater I've always supported him but for some reason feels like we could do better and kinda don't want any success he has this season to be tarnished should it go tits up next year. Along with that I also feel the academy would be better off with him back at the helm. My preference was, and still is Laudrup. Whoever Mel gets in, regardless of who they are, will have my full support and backing

And your full support and backing includes posting on a public forum that the incumbent manager, who has secured a play off spot with 3 games to spare, should be replaced the moment the season finishes, even if it ends in promotion?  Staunch mate! 

I know what people are saying. I'd also like an experienced manager come in who has been there and done it. If Wassall didn't have Harry come in I'd be wanting Wassall to stay on maybe? Just a bit weird Harry comes in the style of play changes we go back to pressing hard etc the team has a spring in there step again etc.

Don't think he'll get the respect he maybe deserves because of this. Fair play to him though since he's come in he's been positive and encouraging about the players etc his interviews are a bit strange at times though.

If Wassall gets us up it would be criminal to not give him the job. Though we would certainly need Harry with him.

Pearson surely would rather come here then Villa. Ok they are probably a bigger club but I would of thought we are far more attractive right now.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ink on Wassall's contract has already dried, the job was pretty much his to lose.

Play offs secured, 57% win ratio, brought back the defensive mistakes which is the Derby Way, ST sales are healthy, everything on the checklist will have been ticked.

It's time to stop getting all gooey eyed over Rodgers, Pearson, Warburton and give Daz Waz a proper chance next season without jumping on his back after every defeat.

We can't be expecting to come away from Old Trafford, Emirates and Anfield with 3 points. We're in a relegation battle from day 1.

11 hours ago, Beagle said:

Warburton may not be a bad shout his family have refused to move up to Scotland and still live in the London area so a move back south could suit.

Londoners think that moving back south means Watford is the furthest north to be considered - to them, Derby may as well be part of Scotland!

I think it depends on how much Harry is doing behind the scenes.

If Wassall is managing the team with a little bit of advice from Harry, then the job's Wassall's. He wouldn't be my first choice, in fact he wouldn't be my 100th choice, but no one can deny that the results and performances recently have been much improved. The current set up has arrested the slide and steered us safely into the play offs. If this is more than 95% of Wassall's doing, then he has earned the right to have a go as full time manager.

However, if Harry is doing most of the manager's job behind the scenes, then that scenario changes. There's no point in appointing Wassall if he needs a baby sitter. Harry himself must be a serious contender, and it might well be his to turn down. If not, then I'd expect Gary Rowett to be the man.

Gary Rowett has not done enough to be considered for the Derby job in the Premiership, never mind the Championship.

Warburton could be tempted with a massive salary and £50 million to spend on players but I do not think that he will go anywhere until he wins the scottish Premiership and played in Europe.If Board members went to Rangers and harry recommended him then Sam has to go and get him on big money.

Some suggestions - Chico Flores from Watford. Igor Stimac who wants the job.

Knowing Mel, he will be loyal to Darren Wassall. and so he should be but if we get promoted and then it goes pear shaped, we have Harry as in interim replacement. Harry could cope with his present role on the right money and stay in the background. It is clear to me that Mel knows that without Harry on board next season, it could go south (even as far as Watford) very quickly.

31 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Gary Rowett has not done enough to be considered for the Derby job in the Premiership, never mind the Championship.

Warburton could be tempted with a massive salary and £50 million to spend on players but I do not think that he will go anywhere until he wins the scottish Premiership and played in Europe.If Board members went to Rangers and harry recommended him then Sam has to go and get him on big money.

Some suggestions - Chico Flores from Watford. Igor Stimac who wants the job.

Knowing Mel, he will be loyal to Darren Wassall. and so he should be but if we get promoted and then it goes pear shaped, we have Harry as in interim replacement. Harry could cope with his present role on the right money and stay in the background. It is clear to me that Mel knows that without Harry on board next season, it could go south (even as far as Watford) very quickly.

You say Rowett hasn't done enough but what exactly has Stimac done to deserve the job? Had he not played for us there is no way he would ever be mentioned, been a flop where ever he's been....oh and you're mixing your Flores up, Chico used to play for Swansea and still playing now ;) 

Love Stimac as a player, not a chance as a manager, might consider him as part of the U21 set up.

GR working wonders at Brum, and a good call. Don't think he would leave until he has achieved something like a playoff place.

Would not surprise me if SM returned.

8 hours ago, 86 points said:

And your full support and backing includes posting on a public forum that the incumbent manager, who has secured a play off spot with 3 games to spare, should be replaced the moment the season finishes, even if it ends in promotion?  Staunch mate! 

He was brought in until the end of the season with the hope of securing a playoff spot which he has done, reigniting the style of play unseen since McLaren left along the way and I think thats how it should be viewed - a short term, stop gap measure. He's done a stirling job and if he was given the job full time I would back him and give him my full support as I do with anyone at the club - its just I think we are in a position to do so much better, especially if our aim is to become a top half Prem club in the near future. At the end of the day its only my opinion but surely you don't believe if he manages to get us promoted he is the right man to take us forward? I'd love to proven wrong as he's a thoroughly likeable chap but like I said, we would better off getting someone who has experience and knowledge. Last time we got in a rookie manager it all went tits up and that was less than a season ago. Mel Morris wouldn't make the same mistake twice would he? He was brought in to do a job and has (so far) done that in impeccable style, I just think it would show a lack of ambition when there are a lot of good managers available who realistically would come to Derby. 

15 minutes ago, David said:

You say Rowett hasn't done enough but what exactly has Stimac done to deserve the job? Had he not played for us there is no way he would ever be mentioned, been a flop where ever he's been....oh and you're mixing your Flores up, Chico used to play for Swansea and still playing now ;) 

Quique Sánchez Flores - sorry about that David. Stimac has been saying that he has unfinished business at Derby and sentiment plays a big part in that. I would vote for Stimac over Rowett. I am going for a cheeky quiche at Chiquitos now. :thumbsup:

Think its time to knock this debate on the head for now , nothings going to be discussed until May 28th when we know which division we will be competing in next season . Forget all the rumours and speculation , there is a lot of hard work for Darren , Harry and the team to do in the next few weeks and they all need our focus and continued wonderful support to hopefully get them to the Premier League , come on Rams we can do this

Archived