Conor McGregor

David

Last night tweeted he's retiring, Dana White later confirmed UFC had pulled him from UFC 200 for refusing to promote the event, was supposed to be in Las Vegas but chose to stay in Iceland.

Sounds like an attempt to squeeze more $$$ backfired on Conor, spat his dummy out. To be fair tho why not retire? Not like he's skint now, could easily live life now worry free.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

disappointing if true, but i wonder if its finally dawned on him that all the **** hes talked over the last couple of years he was actually expected to back it up. I also think he knows deep down that he will lose again to Diaz at UFC 200, its silly for him to fight at that weight when Diaz sits there naturally. 

Conor has always been open about always being in it for the money. 

He has much more leverage than the UFC if he wants more money. The guy sells fights. With McGregor on the card they would have been looking at 1m+ PPV sales. Without McGregor, unless they get a huge fight with GSP, Lawler or BJ Penn Nate is dropping off the main event. 

UFC200 is looking like a big fail at the minute, but 198 looks huge. 

I've listed to Joe Rogan talking about the tweet. Him retiring makes a bit of sense.

Guy who Conor was training with died recently because of MMA, could have set something off in his head. He's made over $15m in the last two fights, probably doesn't want to risk his life anymore. 

UFC have lost A LOT of money if he does retire. No doubt they'll be offering him more money to try and convince him to stay.

7 hours ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

I've listed to Joe Rogan talking about the tweet. Him retiring makes a bit of sense.

Guy who Conor was training with died recently because of MMA, could have set something off in his head. He's made over $15m in the last two fights, probably doesn't want to risk his life anymore. 

UFC have lost A LOT of money if he does retire. No doubt they'll be offering him more money to try and convince him to stay.

Load of rubbish - professional fighters fight for pennies for years before they make it. They know the risks, once they've made it they don't think "actually, this sport is dangerous. I didn't realise before". 

The guy shared hotels rooms and slept on floors before his fights to get to his position now. I don't get why everyone is over complicating it with these rumours. 

Must quite clear what has happened, and it's in the official UFC statement. Dana White informs Conor of press conference on May 9th if I remember correctly? Conor says he wants to stay in Iceland for his training camp (not surprising, he has said in the past even as recent as UFC 196 that he doesn't want to go to Vegas any more because of the travel time), Dana says he has to come and says he will drop him from the card, Conor now has two decisions. Back down or call him on it and see what happens. The rest is history. 

No need for any stories. A statement is a statement and unless one side or the other gives other reasons then there's no reason for us to believe otherwise other than internet rumours. 

On 4/20/2016 at 05:50, David said:

Last night tweeted he's retiring, Dana White later confirmed UFC had pulled him from UFC 200 for refusing to promote the event, was supposed to be in Las Vegas but chose to stay in Iceland.

Sounds like an attempt to squeeze more $$$ backfired on Conor, spat his dummy out. To be fair tho why not retire? Not like he's skint now, could easily live life now worry free.

He is still relatively skint to be fair. Has earned $2.8million across his whole career. 

That's a lot of money, but it definitely wouldn't last a lifetime if he wants to live a life of luxury. 

I reckon it's (fair enough) a plug for money, UFC doesn't really pay its fighters well at all. McGregor has come out of it looking well, worse-case scenario he earns lots more doing WWE.

Archived